Music & You Tube

IAC General Discussions
Peter Stedman

Music & You Tube

Post by Peter Stedman »

(This must have been asked and answered many times but I can't find the answer) A club member has made a personal video with some added copyright music. He wants to put it on You Tube. Now the club has all the licencies from the IAC. The question is - Do these licencies cover him to put his video on You tube? The question of copyright is so complex that a straight Yes or No will do thanks. (What is the plural of licence? It doesn't look right)

Pete
Mike Shaw

Re: Music & You Tube

Post by Mike Shaw »

Club licences never cover an individual club member's films.

So the short answer is - no.

He must join the IAC and get his own licence in order to cover his own films. Club licences apply ONLY to films made by the club as a club (there must be a minimum number of members involved - I believe it is 3 or 4)

But I think (without knowing fully YouTube rules) even then, if copyright material is used it is possible the film will be limited to 'private' rather than public viewing.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

In practice the IAC Licences have little to do with YouTube films.

YouTube (UK) has an agreement with most British music bodies: in return for a quarterly payment those bodies do not automatically object to their work being on YouTube ... but it is up to each music body to decide how it will react. Some companies accept it as a form of promotion for their artists. Others add an advertisement to the video. Some insist that the music is removed.

So in general "suck it and see" - the worst that is likely to happen is that the member will get an email from YouTube saying there is a copyright violation and the film has been removed.
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks both,
Messages passed on to chappie concerned. Pete
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote:In practice the IAC Licences have little to do with YouTube films.
Dave, I thought there was an announcement that they now covered YouTube (and only YouTube - not Vimeo, Metacafe or others). In fact it was this announcement which tipped the balance in favour of me joining the IAC after several years as "just" a club member.

Indeed Section 9 of the scheme (in my documents and on this site):
MECHANICAL COPYRIGHT PROTECTION SOCIETY (MCPS)

MCPS protects the Rights of the Composer and permits the licensee to record (dub) musical works owned by its members which have previously been released as a sound recording on condition that the recordings are privately used only: ...

...g) For inclusion, as clips and short videos, in YouTube - provided there is no financial gain and no commercial advertising is attached. Such clips may be "embedded" in IAC and club websites so long as they are hosted by YouTube.

The licence clears FOR ALL TIME dubbings made within the twelve months of the licence
But it doesn't mention it under the other bodies, so maybe that's why the jury's still out?
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Tim

I interpret the clause differently

To me the "members" who have the MCPS license is the Movie Club not the Club's individuals

Hence Club made movies are covered not individuals own movies

The annual MCPS license for an IAC individual member is not a great additional cost to your subscriptions
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I think that is the correct interpretation, as I mentioned in my first post here. When I did Ambassador work for the IAC, we had to make it quite clear that club MCPS licences do not apply to individual members' own films: members have to have their own licence to cover their own films - and of course, to get that they also have to be a member of the IAC. I believe a club film is one where three or more members have co-operated in its production, and the main credit sign off is for the club, not an individual.

Getting that licence was, in fact, one of the top hooks for people joining the IAC. The next best - almost equal top? The fact that you can flash the membership card in what could otherwise be tricky situations ("Oi - you can't film 'ere!" occasions for example). Rightly or wrongly, it gives you a certain amount of credibility as a film-maker. I know IAC members who have flashed their membership card at public events ... and been allowed into the Press Stands ...
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Col, Mike

Sorry, I should have made that clearer. I do have the individual licences as well as being a member of the IAC.

My response wasn't to the original question as to whether Club licences cover movies made by individual members (I had help and clarification a couple of years ago from Gerald Mee over that one), but to Dave's comment that the licences do not cover YouTube.

Tim
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it