Cine equipment available ...free !

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
grumpy

Cine equipment available ...free !

Post by grumpy »

A good friend of mine, and also a former IAC member, unhappily passed away a year ago. His sister and her husband ended up with a large selection of various cine items. Super-eight and Sixteen millimeter stuff and a lot of interesting bits. Projectors, cameras, editors, splicers, syncronisers and lots more.
The couple need to make space and the equipmemt is taking up almost 2 rooms and regretfully has to go. It could all be dumped in a skip if nobody is interested. I could come on here with a detailed list or maybe someone would know of a friendly collector of cine gear who could arrange to have it collected.

Here is a taste of some of the stuff available : Elmo GS 1200 Projector and speaker, Canon 814 xl - s, Bolex SM80 Electronic Projector, Bell and Howell Sixteen mm projector, Superscope c205 recorder
etc. Everything is free but arrangements would need to be made to have it collected from Macroom in County Cork, as the couple do not want to get involved with carriage and the like.

Is there anyone out there who might be interested ? Ebay is always an option I suppose.

Incidentally, some of the more 'mature' IAC members may not be fooled by the username above and the Cork connection. I stopped making movies in the mid eighties when video gained a grip and some of the magic went out of it - well, for me anyway.
Dave Watterson

Re: Cine equipment available ...free !

Post by Dave Watterson »

Welcome aboard, Grumpy, and best regards to Mary B.

Old kit like this is a dilemma. There will be people somewhere who would love it, the problem is getting hold of them. If all else fails then eBay is a good choice - not to make much money but to ensure the stuff goes to a good home. But eBay does involve descriptions and ideally photos plus post and packing, so it is not hassle-free.

Let's hope someone who is in a position to collect it shows interest.

As for you and movie-making ... do look at the scene again, please. A camera is still a camera whether it runs strips of plastic with holes down the side or records onto a stamp-sized piece of electronics. As always it is the images, sounds and their juxtaposition which makes a movie. I doubt you have lost that skill! And there are plenty of people ready to wield a camera but darned few who can write and direct ...

Dave
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

It's possible that there might be some film collectors who may be interested in the projectors. One of the big dealers has just ceased to trade but you could try Classic Home Cinema in Cleethorpes Tel:01472 291934 or Buckingham Film Services in Milton Keynes Tel: 01908 315220 both of whom sell used cine equipment and are usually on the look out for good gear. Another option would be to place an ad in Projections Magazine which is a "fanzine" for film collectors email: Projections at hotmail dot co dot uk
Brian Saberton
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Well spotted, Dave !! Mary B is fine ( married with two kids and living in Kerry).

Thanks for the advice and info, both from yourself and from Brian. I'll certainly try to take this a bit further. Obviously there are difficulties, especially with collecting the stuff, but I'd hoped that some deserving IAC member might benefit. Failing that the contacts that Brian has given look hopeful, but Ebay I think is out -too much hassle. Pity to see it end up in a skip though.

Nice of you to encourage a return to the film making fray, Dave, but I have done the video thing and never really got excited about it. I've had JVC ky-35s, JVC 5000 DV, editing onto Betacam SP etc. and I still have all that gear and more. All obsolete now as well even though it works perfectly. Can't really see myself making a move to HD though with no real projects to excite me.

However this is the first time in over ten years that I've been in touch with the IAC. I'm from the era of Leonard and Janet. I've rung the office a few times to find that its not always manned. A change somewhat from the Eighties when we could always have a chinwag at the drop of a hat ! I've been trying to contact them lately to try to get back on the mailing list and, like the prodigal son, join up once again.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Yes, in these hard times the IAC office is only staffed a couple of days a week by a very helpful lady called Pamela. The days she is in vary, but if you leave a message, she is very good at getting back to you.

As for needing something to inspire you to make movies ... the Scottish Association of Moviemakers has on its website a plot generator you might like to play with:
http://www.scottishmoviemakers.co.uk/plotgenerator.html

- Dave
granfer

Post by granfer »

What a pity I live in England! I would happily take it off their hands, but I think the wife would draw the line at me hiring a van an going to Ireland!
FredD

Post by FredD »

Hi Grumpy,

I would be very interested in collecting all the equipment from Cork.
I am an active filmmaker and still use 'film', as well as digital !
I was first a member of the IAC in 1959, when I made my first film in 16mm
on a borrowed (from my father) Bolex H16.

Can you email me at: timecodebandit@hotmail.co.uk
and we could sort out details for my visit to Cork.

Best regards,
Fred Dorsett
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Hi Fred, delighted that you might have a home for this stuff. I'll email you with the details and we can take it from there,