H2 ZOOM DIGITAL RECORDER

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
TimStannard

Re: H2 ZOOM DIGITAL RECORDER

Post by TimStannard »

Wilmot wrote:I have the H" but found that hen I connected my Sen MHK300 that it introduces hiss whereas the mikes on the H2 are silent- far better!
I find the same when connecting my Sen ME66! However, at least in my case, the hiss is very specific and easily removed using a noise reduction tool in an audio editor (I use GoldWave). But it's an extra step we could do without, and, of course any filter is taking something away that we might want to keep.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I did a bunch of test a couple weeks ago, altering the mic gain - low-med-high - and used a sennheiser ME64 compared to the onboard frontal mics.

The results as I listened to sound quality, was that the ME64 sounded far better than the onboard mics and that low or medium mic gain produced better sound than the processed sound using high gain.

So in a nutshell, I will do voice-overs using the medium gain setting with the ME64 mic. I will probably never use high gain - it's not as good.
Arthur Bates

Post by Arthur Bates »

I have also had a problem using my H2 recorder with my Stennheiser 400 as an external mic. It was on max. gain and appeared to give perfect results to my ears with or without hearing aids but when my Daughter came to visit she noticed a high pitched whistle. As I could not hear it, it was very difficult to trace but using a rather crude freguency spectrometer I found it to be a loud oscillation of about 17.7 to 18.00hz. By using a filterI can lower the frequency cut out of the recording and get rid of it but it does slightly degrade the sound. I will try and see if reducing the mic. gain will get rid of it. Arthur B.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

If it's a high-pitched whistle let's hope you mean kHz Arthur.
Arthur Bates

Post by Arthur Bates »

Yes Tom, 17kHk to 18kHz approx. Sorry a silly mistake,it's old age I am afraid. Arthur B.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tom. What make and model of portable Minidisc recorder do you recommend. I note that Amazon and E-bay have quite a few on offer with different makes and model numbers and I am interested. Thanks Roy
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

The best one I have is the Sony MZ-R35, but it's fairly bulky. The tiny MZ-R900 is the size of about 3 minidisc cases stacked one on top of another.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

thanks for info Tom.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tom. I have found two MZ-R35 units for sale but in both cases the battery pack might be dead, in fact in one case it is dead. Can the battery still be obtained and what is the battery make and model number. Thanks again
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy, On eBay several vendors are selling replacement batteries for the MZ-R35 for under a tenner.
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tim. Thanks for info. Roy
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

The 3.6v 1350mAh LIP(12)H lithium ion packs are getting on a bit in these units now so you could well find your MZ-R35 needs a new one. Mine's still fine, though the machine comes with a twin AA cell battery pack that screws down onto the 35's case to increase the recording/playing time. I've never had to use this.

I'm glad you're going after this machine Roy - you'll love it. Don't pay too much for it though as the digital voice recorders from Olympus, Sony, Marantz, Tascam etc are dropping in price.

tom.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tom. Thanks for info. The average price I can get the Minidisc recorder for is £30-£50 with a dead battery. A replacement battery is £7-£8. The reason for buying this product is because most people commenting on the forum seem to think that the Minidisc keeps sync longer than say the Zoom H2 model. As I will be using the product mainly for voice overs I suppose the sync matter is not all that important. From a simple voice reproduction matter, using the inbuilt mics., would you prefer the minidisc. or the Zoom H2 unit. Thanks for your interest.
Roy is on Youtube as RoyfromDurham.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

The MZ35 will require a microphone but assuming you have one already, you'll be set up with an excellent digital recorder for about £50 (MZ35 + 10 MDs + Li-ion). This is a third of the cost of a new H2 (what do they cost secondhand?), but the H2 is dead silent, smaller, lighter, can record in a myriad of ways, has excellent in-built mics and runs off 2 AAs. For voice-over recording it's got to be the better choice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-H2-Handy-R ... 079&sr=8-2

But look at this for £18.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ICD-BX112- ... 326&sr=1-2

tom.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy,
The sync issue really isn't an issue. It's very easily dealt with. The Zoom is far more convenient than the mini-disc. I'm not even sure you can transfer mini-disc output digitally to PC (minidic uses ATRAC, not wav or mp3) so you have to use the analoge output to the analogue input of your PC's sound card. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
I have an MZ-R55 sitting in a drawer. I bought it second hand from eBay. The battery is shot, but it runs perfectly happily using the screw on AA battery pack that Tom mentioned.
It's complete with Mains adapter, plug in remote and the afoementioned battery holder. I've only used it once. Then I bought the H2. I'm never going to use it again.
If you're happy to pay the postage (I've no idea how much, but I imagine it'll only be £2-£3) I'll send it to you - together with 5 blank mindiscs (4 unused)
If you like it and it saves you spending out on other kit you can send me a small donation - say a tenner - but there's no obligation. If it doesn't do what you want - at least you'll know.

Either way, you get to try it out for the cost of a few stamps.
Tim