Calling Scotland ... why should we go to Stirling?

IAC General Discussions
Mike Shaw

Re: Calling Scotland ... why should we go to Stirling?

Post by Mike Shaw »

I'm absolutely certain it will be (a success), and I am equally certain we will (have a great time) Brian!

We're already getting quite a party travelling up together on the train - in fact we might even start the ball roling by having a party on the train!

Good to hear that it looks like being well supported - the Scottish contingent has always well supported events further south (yea, even into the Channel Islands!) so good to know there's a little reciprocation!
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I've just got back from a meeting of our organising committee up at the Management Centre and we have received several more bookings in the last few days with the promise of more to come. Unfortunately the Falkirk Wheel trip is now sold out but as an alternative for the Friday we still have places available on the full day scenic tour via Callander (for the Kilmahog Mill), Loch Lubnaig, and Loch Earn to the Famous Grouse distillery and then returning via the Crieff Visitors centre with time to visit the gift shop or the Christmas shop. The other tours also still have some places left and we should be ok for rooms in the hotel.
Brian Saberton
John C

Post by John C »

Are people called Wallace welcome in Stirling yet?
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Hi John C - the answer is absolutely, everyone is welcome! If you are coming up to Stirling, and arriive early enough, there is a walking tour on the Thursday afternoon that goes up to the Monument to Sir William Wallace which is quite close to, and overlooks, the Management Centre. You may be interested to know that 2011 is the 150th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone to the Wallace Monument. Wallace became a National hero in Scotland when his army defeated the forces of Edward 1st at the Battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297. There are some displays inside the monument and you can climb to the top for some magnificent views of the surrounding area.
Brian Saberton
John C

Post by John C »

Yes Brian, I am very fond of Scotland and Stirling in particular.

I am hoping to be able to be with you all in the Autum as I owe a number of members of the Forums a drink or two for all their help.

One of our Members made a film of the Falkirk Wheel the first year it was open. The Wheel is an engineering masterpiece and it is a very photogenic, and essential, part of the Canal system.

The Education Centre is one of the best I have seen and explains the engineering so clearly.

Hopefully there will be more films of it following the visit.

John C.
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

The Scottish Parliament, don't blame Scotland, we didn't design it and didn't want it. There are some areas where the myth of Scottish tightness (it's only Aberdonians who are tight) makes sense. The building is extravigant rather than practical.
Stirling, hmmm, been their once, whit a mess o' a toon! A few things roond aboot bit thur's nothin but a shambles of rods and buildanes. Haggis, antlers and shortbreads isn't the whole of Scotland. Their's Vikings, Picts, Sythians, Romans and Sarmations, och and a whole lot more!
Pitlochry, now there's a lovely place. I passed through it many times, only ever stopped to extract £20 (the other Sterling) from the machine but it's clean and tidy in beautiful landscape and excellent venues. There's only one place better... Thurso! :D
Willy

Post by Willy »

I will always remember my visit to SAM in Stirling in October 2007. The Scottish hospitality was great. I will never forget it.

Indeed, our Scottish friends always attend our festivals in Britain and abroad. If I could I would go to Stirling.

About 14 years ago I made a trip around Scotland : Edinburgh, Glenshee, Glamis Castle, Balmoral, Grantown-on-Spey, Culloden, Aviemore, Fort William ...

I am proud that I ever climbed the Ben Nevis. I was 19... But the most beautiful part of Scotland are the islands in the West... Islay, Arran, Mull, Skye. I also enjoyed my tript to the Orkney Isles that have very interesting historic sites. In the eighties I organised coach trips for retired people to Scotland. Now I am retired myself. Time passes very quickly.

It's time to watch my old Scottish films again. They are on super VHS or even super eight. Hopefully I will ever be able to go back. I even enjoy haggis, but yes, I enjoy everything that is British. The first haggis I ate was in London at a "Caledonian Suite" in London. I remember the haggis ceremony. I had to wear a kilt...

I wish you all a successful meeting at Stirling !
Willy Van der Linden
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Thanks for your kind words Willy, you are always welcome in Scotland and I'm sure we'd all love to see you in your kilt! I hope no-one has been put off by the negative comments about Stirling by Film Thurso. Personally I like Stirling, there is plenty to see and do and some fine scenery in the surrounding area. The SAM committee members are working incredibly hard to make this event a success and are thrilled with the number of friends who are coming to join us. We may be a small team but those of you who are coming will get a huge welcome. I'm afraid I don't have the legs for wearing the kilt (pipe cleaners spring to mind) but I'm sure there'll be plenty others on display at the gala dinner where tartan will most definitely be welcome!
Brian Saberton
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Film Thurso was joking! :shock:
Stirling has plenty interest as with any British town and for those of you who admire old cinemas the former Allanpark/ Carlton cinema in Stirling is worth a look: http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/scotl ... npark.html

There have been worse things than pipe cleaners in kilts Brian so don't be shy! (old tooth brushes come to mind)
Souterman

Post by Souterman »

Well it's 'a' ower so I'll start the comment's of with well done everyone. Shirley and Frank had a super time and enjoyed every minute.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Again Frank is ahead of me ... and we are thinking the same things ...

It was a very enjoyable event, well supported from all over Britain ... and with the added bonus of our popular guest from the Netherlands, Romy Van Krieken. The organisation team had done so much and worked so hard over the weekend that even seasoned conference organisers and attendees were in awe of them. Throughout the four days SAM Chairman Dorothy Borrie would keep saying: "Now we have a wee extra surprise for you ..." and add another delight to the event.

In this brief note - and still sleepy after a hectic weekend and long journey - I cannot do justice to everything. The trips out were well organised and ran to time, which is amazing. There were unexpected extras like tartan hold-alls for our papers, a gift "rabbit", a raffle with prizes which included a BluRay Player, plenty of whisky, Caithness glass and other fine goods. The games and fun were super. One tiny example: after a formal dinner at which many wore tartan, there was a version of "Call My Bluff" where an unusual Scots word was announced and three panellists presented plausible explanations of what they meant. The audience working in teams based on their dining table had to guess which panellists were bluffing and who was telling the truth.

This IS primarily a social event intended to encourage people to attend the formal AGM. This year there were, sadly, no film workshops. Scottish film makers have an enormous amount of expertise to share. But there was a totally fascinating illustrated talk on the earliest film making in Scotland given by a true enthusiast who shared her enthusiasm with all of us: retired archivist Janet McBain.

There is a tradition of having Scotland and the English Regions competing with short entertaining films and then with one-minute movies ... fittingly this year both contests were won by Scotland!

-Dave
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Thanks for the kind words Dave. I'm still "waking up" but all the hard work was thoroughly worthwhile when we saw how much everyone enjoyed the weekend and took part in all of the activities with such enthusiasm, good humour and gusto. I'm currently going through the photos I took over the first three days (projection duties precluded me from taking any on Sunday) and will get them posted on the SAM web-site before too long. Dave, I have a particularly nice shot of Jan and yourself in a rather silly hat at the gala reception and some good photos of friends at the Falkirk Wheel and the haggis hunt. I know that others also took pictures so hopefully we can gather some of these together as well and show everyone what a great time we all had. I may say that the staff at the hotel were also very impressed and more than one remarked to me on what a great bunch of people we all are. I hope everyone that was there went home with some happy memories -I know I did.
Brian Saberton
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Yes indeed - An excellent weekend and well worth all the considerable effort that was put into it - a very happy and enjoyable occasion. And, I now know the ins and outs of whiskey production ... and have a bottle of the finest single malt to whet my whistle. (No, I didn't go for that £53,000 bottle ... they wouldn't let me taste it first, and I'm too canny to buy a pig in a poke...).

The whole SAM team is to be well and truly congratulated on the well laid plans and all the 'wee surprises'.

Even the rain didn't interfere with the weekend's enjoyment.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

If you want to see a video of the pictures from Pat Mahon's fantastic photobooth go to:

http://www.scottishmoviemakers.co.uk/iacagm.html
Brian Saberton