Help with Panasonic SD9

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
granfer

Help with Panasonic SD9

Post by granfer »

I have acquired a Panasonic SD9 camera, but am puzzled by the question of what card to use in it. I understand the difference between SD and SDHC, but am confused by the Panasonic listing of compatible cards.

It would appear that certain "classes" or "types"! of card may not be suitable for movie recording; can anyone point me, from experience, to particular cards that can be used for ANY purpose in this camera? I am quite happy to use PROVEN cards by ANY manufacturer.... particularly as Panasonic brand cards seem to be automatically much higher priced!
Thanks in advance,
granfer
col lamb

Re: Help with Panasonic SD9

Post by col lamb »

The "Class" refers to the speed of the card.

Ordinary SD cards will not be fast enough.

You need SDHC cards, ideally Class 6.

Class 6 is more than up to the task for AVCHD recording.

I have your SD 9's big brother the AG HMC 151 which actually works very well on labelled "Sandisk Video HD SDHC" cards which happen to be labelled as class 4.

I'd stick with 16Gb capacity cards as they store c90 minutes of video at the highest quality.

If you look at the link

http://www.lowpricememory.co.uk/sandisk ... c-27-p-725

You will see a card with HD Video written on it, these are generally optimised for recording HD Video and I would go for these even though they cost more than the cheaper ones (I cannot recommend this company as I have never purchesed from them I just picked them out of a Google search)
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
granfer

Post by granfer »

Thank you VERY much. That is the kind of detailed information that is extremely helpful... not only Class, but Brand, Type, and Capacity!
I take the point about the specific supplier; looking around for a good price AND a reliable supplier is part of the exercise.
Thanks again.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

My Sony NX5 stipulates that class 4 SDHC cards and above should be used, though I note that the competition between brands means that finding class 4 has become difficult and even class 6 are giving way to class 10 - and all effectively at the same price.

The best deal around at the moment appears to be Transcend and I use these. Amazon was the best price by far.

tom.
ned c

Post by ned c »

I have a Panasonic SDHC camera and have successfully used the following SDHC cards:

Verbatim 16GB Class 6
SanDisk 16GB Video HD Class 4
SanDisk Extreme 8GB Class 10
Panasonic 8GB Class 4 (came with the camera)

I use a Sony multi card reader connected in to a USB port for downloading into my edit software.

ned c
granfer

Post by granfer »

Thank you, gentlemen, for the additional input which is also most helpful. Apologies for the tardiness in acknowledging; have just returned home after second knee replacement.
Again, thanks
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Just to say that 16gig class 10 Transcend SDHC cards are all of 12 pound 75p at Amazon. Inflation? What inflation?
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

I have had two transcend SD cards, one failed and the other lost the sliding write protect tab.

Do not buy SD memory on price, buy it on reliability and manufacturer
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb