NX5 Article by Tom Feb 2011

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Tony Grant

NX5 Article by Tom Feb 2011

Post by Tony Grant »

I enjoyed Tom Hardwick’s comments on the NX5 but Tom when you whisper in the designers ears do not mention the “useless extra tripod socket”.
This to me was a well thought out feature for use of camera persons who want to use a articulating monitor arm or a Rycote wireless microphone mount both of which I have.

Would also suggest that NX5 users purchase the “Inside the Sony NXCAM” with Douglas Spotted Eagle (what a name bless his mother). All though a bit pricey at 90 dollars from Vasst I picked up some good tips especially reference the Data code button, now a much used tool and the Iris button (when using always remember to press twice or you will remain in automatic mode).

TTFN
Great filming in 2011.

Tony
tom hardwick

Re: NX5 Article by Tom Feb 2011

Post by tom hardwick »

Good to get your feedback Tony. The handle-mounted tripod socket is just in the wrong place for me, as I'm a great user of that top handle and I found that with anything screwed to it I had difficulty using it as a handle. My Rycote Softie mount goes in the front shoe - what do you have in your front shoe?

You must have a different NX5 to me - my iris button toggles a little tiny A on and off - a single push to auto, another push to manual and so on.

A very useful button is the Status Check (right by the card slots). Push that and scroll (wheel or button on the top control panel) to have all sorts of camera settings quickly and clearly presented. I like to leave it on Assign Button while on a shoot, but I toggle through the 8 pages before I set out.

tom.
Tony Grant

Post by Tony Grant »

Hi Tom,

What do you have in your front shoe?

All depends but on an interview shoot a camera light. But it all depends on the circumstance. It was just nice to have a fixing on top

but of course it depends if I am hand held or not. Ref the iris button the point was, it was only after I had seen dvd that I

realised I had to press the button again to go back to manual again !!

Tony
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Don't you get sent a copy of Film and Video Maker, Tony? October 2010 page 16 will tell it much better than words can.