Ideas on how to destroy old film?

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
JanW
Site Admin

Ideas on how to destroy old film?

Post by JanW »

Can anyone suggest a way to destroy old Standard and Super 8 film?
I've had a call for help from someone who needs to destroy several thousand feet. Shredders made little impression.
thanks
Jan
Mike Shaw

Re: Ideas on how to destroy old film?

Post by Mike Shaw »

Sounds desperate to destroy old film!

How about a match, garden bonfire?
JanW
Site Admin

Post by JanW »

I haven't tried, but apparently, being safety film, it doesn't burn well.

Jan
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

I worked in a 16mm and 35mm film lab for 35 years. When reels of film, often old rushes, had to be disposed of, we just had to drop it into a skip. It was unwound from bobbins or reels and the metal can re-used, but I don`t know of any way film can be destroyed in a quick, mass disposal kind of way. Why would anyone want to anyway? National secrets or "naughty" movies?
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

All my 8mm movies were kept in metal cans, in the basement of the house we had at the time.

Then we had a flood.

Just drop the film in water for a few hours. Sadly, that worked for me.

It does sound as though it is important every individual frame is 'disfigured' - I'm sure incineration (melting) would also do the trick.
Arthur Bates

Post by Arthur Bates »

Hi Jan, Old cine film probably has a silver salt and gelatine based emolsion and acetete compound base. It burns slowly and produces a black sticky substance in my experience. This may solidify when cold and I would have thought made disposal easier. Above all, do it outside in a incinerator with a breeze as the fumes are probably highly toxic. I would not think it would cause any airport closures! AB