MP3 files on DVD player

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

MP3 files on DVD player

Post by Peter Stedman »

Here’s an interesting problem for readers this Sunday morning seeing as you have had an extra hour in bed…. I have a Ferguson LDVD71 portable DVD player that works fine. I know it will play MP3 audio discs so I copied from my PC hard drive around 65 short audio clips on to a DVD-RW and placed it into the player. I was pleased to see that the titles showed on screen and played as required. Then I noticed that only 28 of the titles were showing and that no way could I find the remainder. No, the disc certainly wasn't full!

Reading the instruction book (again) I noted the bit about putting files into folders. This I did but I couldn’t find how to get the machine to show the folders. After several tries the machine wouldn’t recognise the actual disc. I reformatted the disc and tried again but no luck. I then got a new disc and again copied the audio files to it but the machine still doesn’t want to recognise the disc.

Any ideas on this one? Thanks.
Pete :?
tom hardwick

Re: MP3 files on DVD player

Post by tom hardwick »

Long shot but it could be the simple fact that you've used an RW disc as against an R disc. RWs are much more fickle about who plays them back, and generally seem to prefer the original burning deck. If you play this disc in the burning deck, do all the files reappear?
Peter Stedman

Re: MP3 files on DVD player

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks Tom,
I tried standard R discs also but still no joy. I have also tried CDs. No luck. I went to a colleagues house and tried on his portable DVD player. Still no good. It remains a mystery. The instruction book clearly says it will play MP3 DVD/CD.

I will try playing the discs on a Laptop as that will most likely do the job I want to do.
Pete