POSITIVE IDEAS FOR 'Film & Video Maker' ARTICLES

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Dave Watterson

POSITIVE IDEAS FOR 'Film & Video Maker' ARTICLES

Post by Dave Watterson »

Garth Hope, editor of Film & Video Maker - the IAC's in-house magazine - has asked for ideas. In many other threads there have been comments about the magazine, but let's see what we can do here to make positive suggestions.

Background
As a registered charity the IAC works under some restrictions. Technically the magazine can exist because it is a means of communication between the organisation and its members ... specifically so that it can carry notices of General Meetings and so on. It cannot be offered for sale to the general public.
The magazine is produced by one person working on it part-time. There is no staff of paid reporters.
For financial resons it is only published six times a year.

So ... start thinking.

-Dave
Willy

Re: POSITIVE IDEAS FOR 'Film & Video Maker' ARTICLES

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:Garth Hope, editor of Film & Video Maker - the IAC's in-house magazine - has asked for ideas. In many other threads there have been comments about the magazine, but let's see what we can do here to make positive suggestions.
[

So ... start thinking.

-Dave
I am just thinking very hard, Dave.

Why not a competition for writing short scenarios ? Length of the film = not more than 10 minutes. Two or three scenarios are published on one page. Each scenario has been written with a limited number of words. The story must be original. The plot must be a surprise. It must have a happy end. It must be feasible for hobbyists. There are six issues every year. It means 18 scenarios. An award for the best scenario writer. Hopefully the scenario writer or someone else tries to make a film with it. In the first issue an example of such a scenario can be given.
Willy Van der Linden
Willy

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:Garth Hope, editor of Film & Video Maker - the IAC's in-house magazine - has asked for ideas. In many other threads there have been comments about the magazine, but let's see what we can do here to make positive suggestions.

So ... start thinking.

-Dave
FILM QUIZ/CROSS WORD PUZZLE/CORNER FOR YOUNG CINEASTS
I appreciate all articles in Film & Video Maker. I also appreciate Garth Hope's fantastic work. Who would be willing to do this in his place ?

I only think that the articles are too long sometimes. There are many texts in in them. So Film & Video Maker seems to be "heavy" from time to time.

Some suggestions : Why not a film quiz ?
About 10 photos from famous films are shown in every issue. Under each photo a question. For instance : Who has written the music for this film ? Who are the main actors that you can see ? When was this film made ? How many oscars did it receive ? Etc... Answers to editor within a month. After one year the three finalists are invited at BIAFF. Short film quiz one of the evenings, but not after gala dinner, because I am against shows after a BIAFF-meal. Actually I don't like gala dinners. I prefer more time for a chat.

Why not a crossword puzzle or word game ?
theme = of course "film". For about ten years I was a member of the editorial board of a magazine called "Talkabout". I was asked to find/make word games for students. Basic vocabulary : 2,000 words. Someone could find/make word games about films for Film & Video Maker.

Why not a corner for young cineasts ?
In our magazine we give "room" to young people. We have already said this many times : FVM looks like a magazine for people who are retired. I am one of them. Why not trying to find one young man who is responsible for one page in our magazine ? Texts written by young people can be published. Photos with young people can be published ... Maybe we can contact a fim school to help us.

I will am not disappointed if you find my suggestions stupid. I'm just thinking hard.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Many good ideas there - thanks Willy, keep them coming. Garth reads the forum now and then so he will enjoy seeing such suggestions.

MORE from everyone, please!

Dave
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:wink:

Now Dave W has started in on in something positive. Willy V D L has come up with several ideas for items in FVM which I think are very good. (Why so Willy? - 'cos that, the ideas, show in your films)! Of course all are not as adept at coming up with ideas but here again
if this / these suggestions are adopted it'll be something new.

** Take it further, open a section in BIAFF for all the films made from (any of) the ideas published. Such just might, with of course constructive and CORRECT judges crits., bring BIAFF back into some favour - with we / those, who have had little time for it in (recent) years!!!

8) LEE.
edin

Post by edin »

A few ideas for articles, but where the articles generate from is another issue:

Online Video Screening - Bringing the online world to the real world through a hosted community online screening event[

Shooting video through the lens of a DSLR - is the world of the traditional videographer and photography about to converge through the adoption of new technology.

Multicam Shooting and editing - recording on several cameras and using your editing software to synchronise and compose a multicam timeline

World Report - Digest of articles from newsletters/magazines from international video making organisations (similiar to the IAC)

Readers Profile - introduction to fellow video makers throughout the UK

Tips and Tricks - a series of helpful information gleaned from the technical section of the Forum is published. (if the original posting is too brief the originator could be approached to expand and provide images for the article
Garth Hope

Post by Garth Hope »

Thanks, Dave for opening a new thread about improving the contents of FVM and thank you for your replies and suggestions. Unfortunately, running competitions within FVM simply doesn't work - though I think it's a great idea. Some years ago, I ran two competitions with substantial prizes (editing software sent to me as press releases and worth then £60 -£70). In the two competitions, I only received three replies.
There doesn't seem to be, at this time I regret to say, the enthusiasm in the membership to instigate reply-type competitions. However, I do think a crossword is an excellent idea for starters (since no reply is involved) or any other film-orientated puzzle. So if anyone feels able to put one together, I'd be delighted to print it - with of course, the answers at the back of the magazine. But if anyone does think we should persevere with a reply-type comp, please let me know and we'll see what we can work out and give it another go. But please keep the suggestions and ideas coming anyway, I certainly am taking notice and working out what we can pheasably do to extend FVM.
The new magazine is under production since the close-copy date of 25th July and I should mention just further to what Dave said, that FVM production is actually a seven-days-a-week full-time project for 16-20 days depending on circumstances - plus 10-12 full-time days for labeling (currently) 1820 bags then filling them with FVM and Regionals and delivering them to the post office.
'Part-time!' - who told you that, Dave ??!!!! :-) :shock:

Thank you all again.

Garth
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:cry: NBTE: = Not Before Time Either - Garth. Your Posting certainly straightens out
some fairly widely held misconceptions: There are, or were, quite a number of people / members who thought / think that you head up a jolly old staff Garth!!! It was the same when I was "doing" the Advertising. The BBC. ITV and film / video production companies and others all thought that there was a full time staff in BOTH "departments"! This also included BRAD an on line advertising disemination company that I enrolled the IAC / FVM in - at no cost by the way (gone by the board now I think)! Suffice to say that when big potential advertisers found out there was just the two of us it did have a bearing on advertising enquirers not following through!!! Further these "guys" also thought that the IAC Office was a "fully staffed" operation! Additionally the word "Amateur" did nothing at all to help either. (No, I'm not just writing it. It was / is true)!

:idea:

Now back to the "Thread". There are basically two types of members: The Watchers and The Doers! World wide I've found that amongst the latter there is a lot of enthusiasm, enthusiasts all with enquiring minds! Many are members of clubs, organisations etc. this includes Young People in College or Uni. (Media). My point is that on line usually there are a number of Newsletters published. Some small some big. All state that articles from them can be copied / re published - free -provided that due author and copyright references are given!
So, there's another source of articles for our consideration.

:) Cheers: LEE.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Edin

I have just sent off to Garth Hope an article on using a DSLR and in particular one of the Canon models.

He is going to include it in the Nov/Dec issue.

There are a few forums out there specifically for DSLR movie making, check out: -

www.vimeo.com
www.cinema5D.com
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/

The latter has masses of forums and two in particular for the Canon 7D and 5D models

Col Lamb
Preston
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Col - I look forward to reading your report on filmmaking using a DSLR. I wonder if any of my conclusions on using the Panasonic GH1 as a movie camera (August FVM) rang true with you?

It's all well and good having big chips but it appears to be mighty difficult to design a camera that takes stills and movies with equal aplomb; something has to give.

I'm pretty sure that Panasonic and Sony are now looking at this problem from the other end - and that is making a good camcorder first and foremost. Then this camera can be forced to shoot good stills, and this is the best way to surmount the not inconsiderable design and ergonomic problems.

tom.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Tom

There are many Pros and Cons about using a DSLR for DH video, they are certainly not point and shoot, you really need to use the manual contols.

A specifically designed Camcorder that records 18Meg stills, with full manual control on both video and stills, now that would be some nice toy to have.

Sony and Panasonic have to increase the chip size within the camcorders to get the stills resolution I crave, the Canon 7D images I print out on my Epson at A3 are well in excess of my expectations regarding detail and clarity, but short on the creativity I strive for.

A camcorder with a nice big lens with plenty of light gathering power, I'm not sure if the current range of popular camcorders are even close, well except for possibly one.

Probably the best bub £1500 camcorder is the new Sony MC50 which is about £1320, a Canon 550D DSLR including lens, mike and viewfinder attachment c£1300, a close call.

Col
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Interesting comments on the DSLR scene, but how much tech stuff would we like in FVM?

Tom already covers a lot of kit in his excellent, hands-on way ... a big step beyond the regurgitated press-releases other journalists produce. Even if we had suitable experts with enough free time on their hands and if manufacturers were willing to lend us kit ... is FVM the place for a lot of hardware reviews?

My feeling is just that most camcorders are now so good that the differences between models are often cosmetic or nitpicking - so reviews would be a waste of space.

On a different tack: I remember with great affection the page of Amateur Photographer magazine purporting to come from a club secretary. Written in a deliberately old-fashioned, affected way it touched on the eccentric behaviour of various club officers and members. In reality it pointed out issues that could arise in any club - offering both good ideas and humorous comments on poor ones. Is there anyone who could (anonymously) write such a series of columns about our world?

-Dave
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Dave

I agree with your last post up to a point, the article I have just sent to Garth is not technical but practical. It is about the pros and cons of using a DSLR for video, the use of one for actually making a movie, what to look for and what to consider.

Tom's contributions are very good and a very worthwhile inclusion in the mag long may they continue, additionally there are plently of technical reviews on the web about all camcorders/DSLR's and so to repeat that information is not necessarily required. What you do not usually get on the net is a hands on review of the device in the specific detail that our members would surely fine more interested and applicable if they are considering a new recording device. Also is it not far better to put ones trust in a review by an IAC member than some annonymous reviewer somewhere in the the world?

As for most camcorders being so good, they generally yes, but a whole host of them are very limited in the available controls and many do not even have a viewfinder, just the lcd panel. Take the recent article by Brian Roberts on the Panasonic camcorder, that surely is of great interest to members considering one!

Good idea about the Club Secretary ramblings
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:Interesting comments on the DSLR scene, but how much tech stuff would we like in FVM?

Tom already covers a lot of kit in his excellent, hands-on way ...

-Dave
I have already written a few hundred messages on this forum, but I still feel the odd man's out. I'm a Johnny Foreigner and FVM is none of my business. If I were a Briton I would make lots of crossword puzzles and wordgames about films and I would send numerous photographs from films. Or I would prepare articles on my computer and send them to Garth Hope. Yes, I know, Garth, that it is not simple to make an issue every two months and that it is a full time job. I understand.

I am very happy that also Dave thinks that maybe there is enough tech stuff in FVM. You can't see the difference in pixels with your naked eye anymore. Some weeks ago one of my friends was very proud. He had bought a new camera. "The rolls royce" in the camera world, he said. The problem is that he never makes films. FVM should be about filmmaking in general, and filmmaking in our different clubs. How's life in your club ? That's something that I would like to know. To know more about tech stuff you can buy magazines at your newsagent's or in MOTO car parks along the motorways.

I think that FVM looks a bit heavy from time to time. It could be more "airy". Why not a pleasant cartoon ? Or a photograph with friends in it who belong to a different club ? People that we can recognize. The IAC is one big family, isn't it ?

"From 1st to 6th September I am going back to the Yorkshire Dales for my film 'Say Wensleydale Cheese' (working title), but this time with three friends from my club. Werner Vandenbulck is one of them. He is a professional cameraman who works for the Belgian TV Channel One. Last month he was in the Tour de France. You can see a picture of him on his facebook together with Contador, the winner of the Tour de France. Now he is willing to help me in the Dales. However, without his camera. I have asked him to do the sound recordings. The other two friends will help me in a different way. One will read my script. And the other filmmaker, also called Werner, will carry my tripod. When you are over 60 it is good that you have a friend who is willing to carry your heavy LIBEC-tripod. My wife wanted to get rid of my tripod. She is very happy now. My tripod weighs about 7 kilogrammes. Last time I could not film everything because of the awful weather conditions. The picnic scene for instance. There was a fierce wind and it was very cold. Now I have changed the introduction of my scenario. I have bought a little tent of 2 metres by 1,35 metres. The main actors will have a picnic in that little tent. Good or bad weather. Geoff Harisson of the Preston Movie Makers has contacted them again and now I am happy that I will meet them again on 4th September. I am sure we will have a lot of fun. Last time we already laughed a lot ... In September we will also visit a farm in the Dales. I will ask Anita to milk a cow or to help the farmer when he is milking the cows automatically.This can be a pleasant moment in the film."

Why have I written all this ? Maybe such a story (with photos and even cartoons) is good for a club magazine, not for FVM. What do you think about it ? More news from our British clubs. That's one of the questions Dave asks us, I think.Or maybe I am wrong.
Willy Van der Linden
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Interesting to read the thoughts here on FVM's content and I must say I hadn't realised the general feeling that technical topics were not particularly liked or wanted. I know that in the early days of Positive Image I used to go pixel-peeping, thinking that the readership might like to know more about the meaning of MPEG compression and so on - simply because in this chosen hobby of ours you HAVE to be somewhat of a technician just to get a playable DVD pop out of your burner at the end of a long and technically complex day.

But my writeup of the Panasonic GH1 purposefully glossed over the technicalities of this camera and concentrated on the two questions 1) how good is it as a stills camera? and 2) how good is it as a movie camera?

Of course if I were going to buy this camera then tom's user appraisal would have been mildly interesting but certainly not in-depth enough to warrant the spending of so much money. Of course as Col says, the web's a wonderful place to go looking for technical information, and maybe it is better that FVM has real-world user appraisals of kit rather than in-depth analysis of what's happening at the chip face.

tom.