Do we need a new editor for FVM?

IAC General Discussions
Mike Shaw

Re: Do we need a new editor for FVM?

Post by Mike Shaw »

It's fantastic news Garth. and I'm delighted all has been resolved happily.

My only suggestion (apart from 'every page with colour' - as Tom intimated - though I can see that may up the printing costs somewhat) would be articles or, if they're expensive to foster, perhaps interviews with (well known) pro film makers and editors on their techniques etc.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

That's great news Garth. Many congratulations and good wishes.
Brian Saberton
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:D :)

Er sorry Garth -- if I "jumped the gun", my apologies but I must've missed that you hadn't "Posted" the News! - Reasons are I guess that commonsense prevailed and the excitement of a correct "realisation" at last.

Best wishes.................Lee.
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

8)

FVM: Every page "open" to colour would be great but colour = costs in that Printer's charges for "full colour" as it's described is, without doubt, costly or so I understand re FVM and that's been my experience very much so in other directions. i.e. I once broached the subject of colour when producing the programme for The Cotswold International Film Festival and believe me, the increased figures quoted where "staggering" --- and that was just for a few photographs!

IF - the hierarchy are concerned with "costs" then it's up to them and not Garth to instigate that. So, Brothers and Sisters, with respect, don't lay any blame for that at Garth's door! He has parameters in which to work and I am quite certain that such may well be described at "tight"! In fact I imagine "tighter than the proverbial D..."oh well, better not quote!

:roll: Cheers.................LEE.
Last edited by Lee Prescott on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

8)

ARTICLES:

Ohhh yeah it's me agin! Re Mike's suggestion about obtaining articles from Professional Film Makers / Editors (of note).... good idea BUT who is gonna run around obtaining such? I know that Garth does not have the time - he has to earn a crust or three. Wouldn't it be very nice if he headed up an Editorial Office of about 8 & 3/4 staff! - Soooooooo it's up to members to find the time to do it. I would've thought that in our "Amateur" world any number of people know persons in the Pro. world. For instance I recall that during my time helping to prop up SoCo certain persons often referred to "those with whom they were acquainted" even used the odd one or two as "judges"!

Have a go - but courteously clear it with Garth first.....

* I was just browsing through an FVM from 1993! At that time there was a young guy who wrote a column relevant to Young Film Makers! Invariably interesting. (Wonder what happened to him)? Anyway why not resurrect that idea for starters? "IAC" is always prattling on about getting Young People to join obviously not easy when THEY view US!

** I read in a section of Postings on here an enquiry by a Youngster, (9 or 10) asking for help about Chroma Key techniques, I sincerely hope someone helped him - Dave replied but from what I recall in the past maybe Alan Atkinson - Chairman - could enlighten the Lad? I seem to recall Alan was pretty adept at it.
Then maybe Alan doesn't read the FORUM????
Oh and as an aside, Youngsters in our very much Instant Society do require Instant anwers!!!

So, Mr. Atkinson or anyone, a few articles on that technique would be nice.

:arrow: :idea: LEE.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I have started a new thread in the Club and General Issues section inviting positive ideas for FVM ... this one is now a bit long and the immediate cause of it is over.

This link should take you to the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2677

Dave