Do we need a new editor for FVM?

IAC General Discussions
tom hardwick

Do we need a new editor for FVM?

Post by tom hardwick »

You've probably all read these IAC website opening lines: 'As the current contract for the production of 'Film & Video Maker' is due to expire, we would like to invite potential contractors to tender for the task of producing and distributing...'

I write to see if anyone else feels as I do, and that is that our current editor Garth Hope is doing a most excellent job on the gathering and collating of articles, of assembling the magazine and posting it out to many hundreds of members. With little or no advertising and certainly no payment for writers and photographers, he must have an unenviable task of cajoling and encouraging, phoning and emailing, pleading and searching as every issue comes around.

I feel that over the last 7 years (or however long Garth has been at the helm) the magazine has improved enormously, year by year. If he has decided to leave, I do hope his replacement realises the unseen and unacknowledged work that goes on behind the scenes so that every issue gets correctly assembled, printed and posted out on time.

FVM is the bond that ties us all together, the glue that shows we're a serious organisation that takes pride in our past, present and future. The physical presence of the magazine has great importance. If Garth has decided to leave then that's all well and good, but if this is change for change's sake then I for one would suggest caution.

tom.
Mike Shaw

Re: Do we need a new editor for FVM?

Post by Mike Shaw »

Grief! I couldn't agree with you more Tom. As a 'bit' contributor I have received nothing but total support and help from Garth. If he has himself 'had enough' and wants to move on, I understand, but if not ... He is doing an excellent job.

It does say 'potential contractors' - as a crumb of hope (no pun intended), that may mean the actual printers and suppliers of the magazine, not the editorial side.

Has anyone heard from Garth on this?

Maybe they are considering taking in advertisements. As an old (literally!) advertising man, I have no problem with that, although the circulation/readership figures would not be all that attractive unless the page cost is pretty low (on a cost per thousand basis).
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

It looks to me like all the IAC is doing is inviting fresh bids for the printing of the magazine. This is a sensible approach as it provides a means of ensuring that the costs remain competitive.
Brian Saberton
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I hope that's all it is Brian, but then why write 'production, producing and distributing of FVM' if they mean 'printing of FVM'?
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Publishers also regard putting the stuff to 'bed' as a 'producing and publishing' phase, so I wouldn't read too much into that terminology Tom. Distribution - I though Garth handled that, but maybe they're looking to take that off his shoulders - and I'm sure Garth won't mind being left to concentrate on the editing side. I hope that's all it is anyway!!
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Yes, Tom made the main point about the magazine, it is indeed 'the glue that holds us together'. All the festivals and AGM's in the world don't quite replicate a printed, illustrated magazine dropping through the letterbox. Everyone has the chance to take part, writing letters and articles quite apart from reading all the reports, results, technical pieces, opinions. Festivals are of course vital too but many people can't always attend but they can read the magazine. The thought of it only appearing digitally on a computer is horrific and even worse would be its demise.

Garth does do a great job and I didn't read anything sinister in the announcement as far as his job is concerned although of course he may have intimated something to the great powers. It sounds like a printing and publishing issue not an editorial one.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I'd like to thoroughly endorse Michael's excellent comments. The amateur film movement is so badly served by the commercial magazine sector it makes FVM even more vital as an authoratitive magazine for the keen enthusiast. I noticed that apart from Camcorder Buyer, which obviously has a different remit to FVM, but to their credit gives coverage to the IAC, there is only one other periodical on the market for movie makers but it costs £9.99 per issue! I've still got copies of the old Movie Maker and Making Better Movies magazines and when you look at the sheer breadth and variety of content in those journals it makes you realise just what we are missing.
Brian Saberton
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Well, I have just had a chat with Garth - on a totally different matter - and casually asked "What's all this about looking for a 'publisher'"

Yes. They're looking for a new Publisher .... and a new editor.

Frankly, I am flabbergasted. I think Garth has done a superb job - and if there have been mistakes, well, everyopne makes them from time to time.

I'm not sure where and how one can start making noises of support for what Garth has done and wgat he is doing, but I'd like to be on that list.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

This is as good a list as any, Mike. We both write for the magazine and know the pressures, time constraints and hassles an editor has to face. Has Garth seen the support he has here? Obviously nothing's been said in print so we can't pen furious letters to the Ed from upset of Billericay.

tom.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

I give my full support Garth.

May he continue editing the mag for as long as he wants.

Who is it within the organisation that is after a new editor?

That is the person we should target

Col Lamb
Preston
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Before we all get too hot and bothered ... is there a chance that Garth wants to move on?

-Dave
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I think I've heard the story now - or the crux of it. I suspect he probably doesn't, or would prefer not to.

But I don't think it is up to me to say anything, other than I think he has done a good job in getting the magazine into a better shape.

We'll just have to wait and see what the outcome is.
Garth Hope

Post by Garth Hope »

Thank you all for your interest and support; I have not resigned from the post of FVM Editor.

The IAC has decided to re-negotiate the present contract which has no fixed time scale and has been running since October of 2006.
Businesses are entitled to do that.

I intend to submit a tender for the post of Editor which hopefully will be accepted and allow me to carry on doing the job I thoroughly enjoy.

- Garth
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Garth, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for clearing that up. You obviously have many fans who were puzzled and anxious.

Dave
GeraldMee

Post by GeraldMee »

I was amazed to think that the IAC was even considering appointing a new editor of FVM!
Garth has done a superb job in bring our magazine up to its current quality...second to none.

I sincerely hope that Garth will be reaappointed for a further period, I am sure it is the wish of most of our members.

Please show your support.........
June and Gerald