Camcorder for travelling Also AVID training DVD's.

IAC General Discussions
John C

Camcorder for travelling Also AVID training DVD's.

Post by John C »

Where have all the DV in and OUT's gone? I need a smaller Camcorder for travel as my Canon XM and Panasonic NV 150 take up too much weight/ room.
There is a wide range of camerasout there but you cannot see the manual's to find out how to get the film into your editing suite? Also I have a bit of a shake so need to use a tripod.
I have seen PC World selling off the Panasonic SD 60 but I cannot find how the results are taken into the editing suite?

Any ideas please. I also have a stock of some 30 mini dv tapes which I would like to use with hte new camera..

I noted a request for information on AVID edition editing suite in a recent issue of FVM. I have a number of excellent training DVD's for various editions of Avid which I would be prepared to give to the IAC Library for Members to borrow.
tom hardwick

Re: Camcorder for travelling Also AVID training DVD's.

Post by tom hardwick »

It's getting harder and harder to find a new camcorder that takes Mini DV tapes now John. I've just looked at the Argos site and they list 134 camcorders and guess how many take Mini DV tapes? Just one.

If I were you I'd hunt down a Canon HV40. Here's one:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/r/canon ... 2AodfmSIWA

The Canon shoots 16:9 HDV (or standard definition if you like) and will happily use any of your tapes. It has DV in and out via Firewire and it pretty small and light. It might even take your XM batteries.

tom.
John C

Post by John C »

Thank you for your help.

Will start looking. The new Canon VIXIA HF S21 HD does not appear to have a charger with it. The whole thing of buying a camcorder is a minefield and obviously not done in a hurry.

K R John C
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

If you are after a very small lightweight camcorder then look at the Sony TG7, if you are into digital photography then a Canon 550D takes superb images and also full HD video and the Canon lenses has optical stabilization.

On a completely different take, then look at the very small Panasonic digital stills camaras that also video in HD in a format called AVCHD LITE, My Wife has one and the images are superb.

The next edition of FVH has an article on AVCHD camcorders which is the format that is rapidly gaining use as DV and HDV are decreasing in availability

Col Lamb
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
John C

Post by John C »

Thank you for your help. KR John c.