take a look at my New Documentary Please.

A warm welcome to all. Here we talk about films, which people put onto YouTube or Vimeo and embed here. The idea is to allow useful, friendly discussion.
Dave Watterson

Re: take a look at my New Documentary Please.

Post by Dave Watterson »

At the moment the film is marked as private on YouTube. I have asked Cozmoss to make it public so that we can all see it.
- Dave
cozmoss

Post by cozmoss »

It available there dave, for all to view, I have not marked any of my vids priavte.
cozmoss

Post by cozmoss »

Hi Dave, try tapping in "cozmoss" a freind of mine got the films up that way.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

For some reason your link worked this evening. I wonder if Google have been doing some work behind the scenes as they absorb YouTube ...

OK. You have used some contacts - or a Scouser's gift of the gab - to get your presenter and the radio host to take part. You have a perenially interesting topic. But also a difficult one.

What you have produced in parts 1 - 3 is a radio show. All we see for 98% of the time is a couple of talking heads. Strangely enough the film comes to life when you show a montage of images of the house at 82!

Film is about images and especially moving images. The golden rule is show don't tell.

OK showing ghosts is not practical. So your next best bet is to change what we do see often.

Use several different angles and degrees of close-up on the interviews. This really needs two cameras to do well, but with professional talkers like the ones you have, they should be able to cope with you asking them for a pause every so often as you change camera position. To change the look while the camera is running do a VERY slow zoom in to their faces. Make sure you also have lots of odd close-ups to use as cutaways. The radio station is full of intersting details, the graveyard in the background of the opening shots may have interesting things to show. Audiences are used to images which change every 3 to 5 seconds.

A trick recommended by Stuart Rumens in the AMPS newsletter is to leave the camera on the tripod and move yourself around ... the interviewee tends to direct his/her face towards you, so what the camera catches is different angles.

You may be going to do more when you get to the part where you examine the house in more detail.

As the film maker you have the right, privilege and duty to edit the interviews. Don't change the meaning, but get rid of repetitions, major pauses and fluffs. Cut out side-issues like the McKenzie story unless you are going to feature them later. By all means add helpful captions but don't use them as excuses for poor film structure: the "later we will look at ..." type.

At the heart of the problem is that this is not a visual subject, so like the tv programmes on ghosts etc you have to concentrate on the people who are investigating or claiming experience. Basically you are inviting the audience either to trust them or to laugh at them. A few tv shows manage to suggest that some of their "witnesses" are simple-minded or have psychological problems. You avoid that by having two strong characters on screen. But the evidence they have is not filmic ... a strange, low quality recorded noise which could be anything is what it amounts to.

So while the movie is interesting, the subject matter is not very good for filming.

-Dave
cozmoss

Post by cozmoss »

"Interesting Dave" Thanks again
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I've looked at your 3 part movie Kevin and can comment - I take it you want comments.

You have got an interesting subject, yes it's hard to film ghosts, but a subject that does engage people - it's something that people would watch and be interested to know about.

Re your handling of the subject, there were some things that would improve its impact in my opinion.
1) can you use less blue screen, and just re-film some sequences, especially the bit in front of the derelict house live?
2) the cut-aways when you interview the radio man are a let down. Replace those wobbly shots of you with something else - but on a tripod. Find stills from Google of a studio if you like, and especially the blue-screen where you ask a question near the end - you have someone appearing to stand behind you. As Dave says, during interviews, just moving the cam or doing a zoom in here and there really does give you more angles - just don't show loads of zooms.

The piece about Quincy is moving to hear. I personally connected with that part. Quincy really does make an impact in your movie.
Tony Grant

Post by Tony Grant »

Great effort to do something different I liked it alot. however you want some feed back.

1 Why 4.3 Have you ever seen today a square TV screen? I6,9 is much nicer and feels better.
2. Do not consider two cameras (sorry Dave). How many reportage teams from the BBC do you see with two cameras
3. Make sure you have more than plenty cut in shots.
4. Get as many people as you can to do the talking for you it takes alot of skill to be a presenter. You have to be spot on with your SCRIPT. I like the way you presented but may be you had to do that extra take. Move your camera positions so you can make the cuts.
5, Sorry Dave again. NEVER zoom in interviews golden rule learnt at film school.
6. Use your tripod unless you are trying to say something special. for example walking through the house.
7. Sometimes your picture framing was not good. At one point I thought you were going to run away from your own presentation.
8. No need for all those big words on the screen (more about the house later etc etc)
9.Yes you can look at the camera in this case you are talking to me your viewer. Sometimes you looked up into the sky to the left, may be for divine help but I think your script.

The subject matter was fantastic and very difficult to film but that is why I like your film, Just a bit more of a story board would have helped you. Inside old tombs etc with exciting lighting even a little bit of re-enactment.

Anyway fantastic effort and if you are a member of a film club do not let them rattle you.

Tony
Roy

Post by Roy »

What you learn at modern film school is not always right, and certainly is not always desirable.
cozmoss

Post by cozmoss »

Tony Grant wrote:Great effort to do something different I liked it alot. however you want some feed back.

1 Why 4.3 Have you ever seen today a square TV screen? I6,9 is much nicer and feels better.
2. Do not consider two cameras (sorry Dave). How many reportage teams from the BBC do you see with two cameras
3. Make sure you have more than plenty cut in shots.
4. Get as many people as you can to do the talking for you it takes alot of skill to be a presenter. You have to be spot on with your SCRIPT. I like the way you presented but may be you had to do that extra take. Move your camera positions so you can make the cuts.
5, Sorry Dave again. NEVER zoom in interviews golden rule learnt at film school.
6. Use your tripod unless you are trying to say something special. for example walking through the house.
7. Sometimes your picture framing was not good. At one point I thought you were going to run away from your own presentation.
8. No need for all those big words on the screen (more about the house later etc etc)
9.Yes you can look at the camera in this case you are talking to me your viewer. Sometimes you looked up into the sky to the left, may be for divine help but I think your script.

The subject matter was fantastic and very difficult to film but that is why I like your film, Just a bit more of a story board would have helped you. Inside old tombs etc with exciting lighting even a little bit of re-enactment.

Anyway fantastic effort and if you are a member of a film club do not let them rattle you.

Tony
Thankyou very much Tony, by far the best constructive feedback I have had and I am going to set about reworking the whole thing "taking into accont all your exellent points" cheers mate. This is a great forum for learning and I am much obliged :0
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

It says the video has been removed by the user.

It's a great shame, as it would be very educational for many people to see the film, and then read the comments.

But now, that lesson has been taken away.

Why not reinstate the video, so that people can see and learn for years to come? :-)
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"