Magix movie editor

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy

Magix movie editor

Post by Roy »

Hi. I have downloaded a trial version of Magix movie editor 15 plus to see what it is like. According to the hype it does every thing imaginable except make the tea. I'm sure this is so if I knew how to operate it. The helpline is useless to anyone who doesn't know the programme. I've mastered all the Adobe premier editing programmes but this one has me baffled. Does anyone know of a tutorial od DVD or CD rom which shows what to do from start to finish. Roy
billyfromConsett

Re: Magix movie editor

Post by billyfromConsett »

On Tuesday the 1st of September at 7.30pm the company are joining us from Holland and are presenting an evening all about Magix Edit Pro at Newcastle ACA. Seats are limited, but you could get a seat if you contact our secretary.

Alternatively you could spash out on Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 - an excellent editing app, and there are loads of great training video tutorials - see any of this lot http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/sup ... oviestudio
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

One of the best tutorial and info nights I've been to!!

Despite having Adobe CS4, I wll definitely be trying Magix Edit Pro. It has too many parts of the app that look useful.
Roy

Post by Roy »

I attended the Magix demo at the ACA Newcastle and found it a rewarding night. The Magix edit 15 plus seems to be a very versatile tool, and I'm sure it is a brilliant piece of work, once you know how to operate it. Everybody at the demo was given a FREE disc containing the programme plus two manuals plus a DVD tutorial. What a marvellous giveaway by the Magix people, whatever the motive. I already have the trial version and couldn't make progress with it, but now with the DVD tutorial I hope to master at least the basics. Wouldn't it be great if all the people in a club who received this gift could get together to learn the basics, there's bound to be someone amongst them who could learn quickly and then act as a tutor. Roy
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Certainly was an informative night!

Hope to be going to town on the software
over the next few weeks to see how it
stands up against the other editing packages

On the basis of the demo it looks like interesting times ahead
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
leif

Post by leif »

You Tube is a good source for Magix Tutprials. You may start wurh this general introduction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oMSKgeGPMs

Or go to [url]http://www.youtube,com[/url] and search for "MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 15".
This will give you a list of many, many tutorials.

By the way: In my videoclub (in Denmark) we will run some evening program introducing our members to the Magix Software.
Last edited by leif on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geoff Addis

Post by Geoff Addis »

I was asked to evaluate the previous version of this program and found it to be exceptional value for money, a trend continued in this latest release. What particularly impressed me was the way the program allowed for different editing experiences ranginging from the simple storyboard to full edit timeline approach thus serving both new and experienced editors. I have to say that it was a new learning curve, but well worth it.

Geoff
ADBest

Post by ADBest »

I too attended the Newcastle presentation of Magix and have become sufficiently interested to give it a try.

As I am in the middle of a fairly large edit on my PC using Premiere Pro and have had bad experiences mixing editing software on the same machine I have loaded Magix onto my laptop.

So far I have managed to capture some HD footage add titles and fades and a bit of picture in picture.

The user interface is very strange to me and the user manual is not a lot of use.

The main point to be aware of for Premier users is that the time line reads from the bottom up rather than from the top down.

There is still a fair bit of interpreting to do in the programme with German language dotted about.

I was particularly amused to find listed under folc, (not a spelling mistake), music, a song called ‘Da Greiner und da Huber’. All the other choices were a bit ‘um-pah-pah’.

Still my main reason for looking at the package is that it handles HD. My Laptop will not be up to completing the task but I should be able to get up ‘the nursery slopes’ on it.

My PC is absolute minimum spec, (Pentium 4 with 3 Gh and 2GB memory), for HD work on Magix but I will give it a go when my PC is free from Premiere editing.

How are the rest of the guinea pigs progressing?
Roy

Post by Roy »

I have managed to make some progress but find that the DVD tutorial not very helpful. The manual is usefull once you master the basics. Fortunately I have had no German pop up yet. I find now that I can capture from a dv camera, use the scene detector, remove unwanted footage , use takes in the media pool to re-arrange clips, do fades, use effects etc. However one strange thing happens with me anyway, If I capture direct into a project, only the first scene shows up on the monitor, and only the first scene shows up as takes or clips in the media pool. However, if I capture from a camcorder onto the harddrive using premiere, I can then import the video into magix project and everything shows up, the whole video is shown in scenes and is played as a complete video as captured and the media pool shows all the scenes as individual takes. So normal re-arranging of clips and editing can take place. Very strange indeed. I don't know what, if anything, I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's because I have Magix and Premiere on the same PC. Perhaps it's because I'm using Magix as a trial download, and there is certain functions it won't do. I think not though, as there is not much point in having a trial version if it doesn't do one of the basics. Roy
Roy

Post by Roy »

I'm happy to say that I have luckily cured the problem with the capture and now find everything straight forward at the moment. The editor is much simpler in time consumed than the Adobe systems that I am using. One click seems to operate every function you need. I am now studying image stabilisation and then will attempt to burn a DVD and and H264 Mpeg 4 for YouTube etc. I will say that on my computers the image on the previews are stunningly good compared with my Adobe Pro 2 programme. :D
leif

Post by leif »

Hello
I just published a review of Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 Plus on Nordfilm.net.
(I did my best to write it in some sort of english.)

Here is a direct link: http://nordfilm.net/articles.php?article_id=47
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Leif
Your English is much better than my Danish !
Your review is very impressive. We often see comments from journalists who are not really practical film editors and so do not tell us how each feature works. You cover the main aspects of the software from the perspective of a real user and go into plenty of detail.

Forum friends, you can read Leif's review without joining nordfilm.net but I recommend joining (it costs nothing) and exploring the website. Much is translated from Norwegian and Danish into English. If you need any help then try Google's translation system (http://translate.google.com/translate_t#) - it is not perfect but usually gives you a good idea of what is being said. I write on their forum in English and then mangle the Danish language when I use Google to translate my words for the Scandinavian readership.

There are some interesting movies on nordfilm.net too.

Dave
Roy

Post by Roy »

I can heartily endorse every word Dave has said about Leif and Nordfilm. It would seem that Leif is operating Nordfilm website on his own and could do with some help. I would help if I could but I woudn't be of much use. You should join Nordfilm if you want your work to be seen by fellow Videomakers who will appreciate and give some useful criticism if required. I have found that Leif is very helpful and was of great help to me in translating commentary for me on one of my recent videos. Back to the Magix editor, I am getting on well with it but it is probally too advanced for my simple needs. If only the company would tell you how to do things in simple language. Even when the reps gave a demonstration they were very good at telling you what can be done, but didn't explain how to do the simple basics. I have found that all software companies are the same. The only good tutorials I have come across are those by Lyndia. Their CD tutorial for Adobe Pro2 is excellent and the instructor gives really understandable step by step instructions. If it wasn't for that CD I would probably still be working on Adobe 6.5 which has served me really well. Unfortunately Lydia does not do Magix as yet. All in all I would say that you can't beat being shown how to operate a system, one to one, as against trying to follow a manual which uses jargon completely different with what you have learnt by using another programme. cheers Roy
Roy

Post by Roy »

I have now found that when I attempt to put text in the text box where it says track no, on the timeline, the whole programme crashes.
This has happened with three computers. The idea is to identify each track with the appropriate wording instead of just displaying the track number. I have also found that are certain things I can do in Adobe, I can't find a way of doing in Magix. I have however made a test video with Magix and transferred it to a DVD, so I am progressing, but I'll probally stick with Adobe Pro 2, if I can't turn a whole shaky shot of a sign into a freeze frame which can be lengthened or shortened as required with Magix. Up to now I can create a still frame ok but haven't managed to lengthen the shot so that the sign is readable. This is simply done with Adobe. Roy.
leif

Post by leif »

Roy wrote: . . if I can't turn a whole shaky shot of a sign into a freeze frame which can be lengthened or shortened as required with Magix. Up to now I can create a still frame ok but haven't managed to lengthen the shot so that the sign is readable. This is simply done with Adobe. Roy.
It is done like this:
Make the freezeframe/Stillpicture by setting the pointer in the timeline to the desired frame. Make the freezefram with either Alt+M (bmp) or Alt+N (jpg).
Draw the stillframe to the timeline. With the mouse in "object mode" (Alt + 1) pull the right bottom corner of the object to desired duration. Done.

You can also set the length of a stillframe in the setup too. (Path: Y + System tab)
Last edited by leif on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.