Premiere 6.5 editing

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
stubie

Premiere 6.5 editing

Post by stubie »

Why, when I transfer a project to an external drive, I lose the edited clips and get sound but no vision on original clips?
I have used both move file and drag and drop with the same result.
Any suggestions?

Stubie
tom hardwick

Re: Premiere 6.5 editing

Post by tom hardwick »

The answer is I don't know. The second answer is don't do it - Premiere 6.5 is very fussy about where its clips are stored and dowsn't like having them moved around. If you do it won't know where they are, and will ask you over and over again when you reopen the project.
Last edited by tom hardwick on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Why do you transfer projects to another drive?
Have you gone through the scratch disk preferences and told Premiere where your files will all be stored?
You can search via the windows tool for the files it asks for though.

Most of us capture files, edit them in in Premiere, export the finished movie, then remove the project (this last duty may take 2 years...)
stubie

Post by stubie »

billyfromConsett wrote:Why do you transfer projects to another drive?
Have you gone through the scratch disk preferences and told Premiere where your files will all be stored?
You can search via the windows tool for the files it asks for though.

Most of us capture files, edit them in in Premiere, export the finished movie, then remove the project (this last duty may take 2 years...)
Thanks Tom and Billy
There seems to be no explanation why my problem exists - and I have spoken to many video experts about it - Premiere has a lot to answer for.
It seems sad that I can't save my projects on another drive in order to free up space on
my video drive - I assumed rightly or wrongly that an external hard drive would be the answer.
Time to start using another editing system me thinks.

Stubie
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I doubt the project files would use much disk space though. You could transfer the video and music files to a folder in your external drive, load up a project and just navigate to the folders you've moved the files to. But I've found keeping old projects often adds up to lost files.

The app is a decent editing app in my book - I used it for years, before buying CS4.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Perhaps I am missing something because I don't use Premiere but surely when you set up a project you select the hard drive where the clips will be loaded and stored. If you set up your external HD when you originate the project you should have no problem editing from it.

ned c
stubie

Post by stubie »

Thanks everyone for your help.
I think I missed out some basic Premiere rules of transfer.
I have tried again with another Premiere 6.5 project
and the order of play is this:

1. Open the project up in Premiere.
2. Click on "file" and select "save copy"
3. In the "Save file" window that opens, drop down the "save in" heading
and locate the external drive and click save.
4. A window opens stating that "Premiere has preview files associated
with this project. Do you want to save them". Click yes.
Everything is up and running on the exrenal drive. Success!
All this sounds simple but so does "move files" and "drag and drop".
Trouble is, one works, the other two don't.
What I haven't done yet though is remove the original project from
the video drive. When the time comes I'll let you know.

stubie
Geoff Addis

Post by Geoff Addis »

Although I haven't used this approach with P6.5 I have used it to provide back up copies of all my professional audio editing which if lost could be very expensive. For each project I create a new folder on my editing drive (say drive letter E). During and after editing I'll copy all the original audio and editing files in that folder to both a removeable hard disk and to DVD's. If I should need to return to the project at some future date then the back up folder is coppied to the original drive (drive letter E) to which all the original editing references were made. This has worked without a problem.
Arthur Bates

Post by Arthur Bates »

I am no expert but I believe that a Project in P6.5 is mearly a list of references to clips that are stored probably elsewhere on the hard drive and unless you move the clips themselves as well as the Project, the external HD. will refer back to the original drive to collect the clips. I would advise you very strongly to back up your time line on mini DV tape if possible so if the worst happens you can always recapture it where ever you want it. I do this regularly as I build up my projecton and it has been very helpful on several occasions. Arthur.