Apologies for Missing BIAFF

IAC General Discussions
Michael Slowe

Apologies for Missing BIAFF

Post by Michael Slowe »

Having promised to meet, talk and drink with many of my fellow film makers I wish publicly to apologise but I have been unavoidably detained in London.

As I explained to Dave, I was asked to make the 'Making Of' film of a feature being shot in my local area of North London which was an offer I couldn't resist. Mind you I had moments of regret during some of the 7 am calls, especially when a shoot might not finish until 10 o'clock at night (not, fortunately, on the same day! Shooting finishes late on Saturday night and I also hope to film the 'wrap' party later that night so Chesterfield was out of the question. I have had quite an experience and hope to write about it later and show the documentary which I hope to make for myself once my edit for the feature has been concluded.

Have a good festival everybody, I think I have a film being shown, "The Leader of the Pack", although it did not do terribly well. Let me know what you think if you catch it.
Dave Watterson

Re: Apologies for Missing BIAFF

Post by Dave Watterson »

It screens in the Chatsworth Suite session which begins at 2pm on Saturday. It is a fascinating film, created with Michael's customary flair and style.

Sorry we will miss you at BIAFF, Michael. If we are all sober enough we may raise a glass to you !

Dave
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

Hi Michael.
I saw your film and it was in the same programme as ours. You will probably be pleased to know that it went down very well to a literally room-busting audience. I counted about 60 people squeezed into a medium sized room. The seats were all taken when I arrived and more chairs were brought in and added to the ends of rows. Even then, there were people turned away. You were first one on and as you possibly know, as we have two dogs of our own, a film about dog training was right up our street....or kennels. I really enjoyed it and the rest of the audience seemed to too, as it got a good round of applause at the end.
Your behind-the scenes filming job sounds great and intriguing. Can you say what the film is?
You may also like to know that your booking was taken by Ron Challen from Burnley who was waiting for a last minute cancellation as all the rooms were full.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

We had a couple of enquiries the next day about how people could get in touch with the dog handler, Dima Yeremenko. The answer being at http://goodboydogschool.com ...

You were much missed, Michael, but as Ken points out there was a great compensation in that your room was reallocated to Ron Challen, whose state of health would not have allowed him to stay in another hotel and commute to the festival.

Hope the "wrap party" was fun for you as well as the cast and crew. Remembering the superb job you did at Biaff in Tonbridge filming Willy's speech on an ad hoc basis, I'm sure this movie you are working with will have some of the best DVD extras of the year.

Dave
Willy

Post by Willy »

Yes, we missed you, Michael, but I understand ... you cannot be in two places at the same time. In fact you are a lucky man. There were about 60 chairs in the Chatsworth Room. I didn't see your film. At that time my movie "On the Road to Passchendaele" was shown in the Devonshire Room. I think there were only 15 to 20 chairs.

It is always pleasant to know what other friends think about your film. I mean not only the good things ! I do not want to be praised. I just want to know what other people think and what I can do to improve my films in the future.That's also one of the reasons why I travelled so far from Belgium to Chesterfield : distance about 600 kilometres + boat trip. I spent quite a lot of money on it. Two nights in Chesterfield and one night in Cambridge. I attended the Gala Dinner etc...

Only 15 to 20 viewers. That was a disappointment. I must admit that my previous film was screened in the Award Winners Show last year though it had not won a diamond award or five stars.
Willy Van der Linden
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Thanks fellows, sorry again to have missed you. I am glad my room went to a deserving soul (Betty J was good enough to refund me!). I will make every effort to be in Harrogate. Willy, I think I've seen your film, can't think where, let's both resolve to be in the Awards Show next year!!!
Willy

Post by Willy »

Michael Slowe wrote: Willy, I think I've seen your film, can't think where, let's both resolve to be in the Awards Show next year!!!
Many thanks for the encouragement, Michael. I have shown my newest film "On the Road to Passchendaele"
only in Belgium. The problem is : it's an other film about the First World War, but this one is a reportage. I was so proud with the shots that I could take of Her Majesty the Queen. Again the film is a tribute to the fallen soldiers in Flanders Fields, but also to my friend Freddy Declerck and his group of volunteers who organized some major and impressive events. The judges had also written in their comments that they hesitated between four and five stars, which proves that they found the film OK. In Guernsey I won't be able to show it either, because I will be one of the judges. Dave suggested something interesting. Maybe it can be shown on the website. I will take a decision later on.

I have already thought of not taking part in BIAFF next year, but I have made the film "Guernsey, I Love You !" together with Peter Rouillard. So, I feel obliged to be in Bedford. I have the same problem as you, Michael. Sometimes judges find that our fillms are too long. I fear that "Guernsey, I Love You !" will be shown again in a small room. The length of this mix of travelogue and feature film is 37 minutes !

I will send you a copy of my film "On the Road to Passchendaele", Michael, and also to other forum friends if they give me their addresses.

To be honest I was also a bit disappointed because I had translated most Belgian films. I had collected the money and entry fees. A projection in Chesterfield for more than 15 friends would have been a reward.

It's always difficult to criticize something. I know that David Newman, Betty Jennings, the other organizers and friends like Jan (webmaster) and Dave Watterson (correcting subtitles and subtitling) did their utmost to assure a successful festival ... and BIAFF 2009 was an excellent festival.

PS : Tonight Arsenal-Manchester United. I will support for the Gunners this time, Michael, though I also sympathize with Manchester United. Next week I will support for Manchester United. The Matt Busby Babes, Jack and Bobby Charlton, ... those were the days ! (Michael is an Arsenal fan)
Willy Van der Linden