Bernhard Hausberger

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

Bernhard Hausberger

Post by Dave Watterson »

I am very sorry to tell you, that Berhard Hausberger, the great Austrian amateur film maker, died on the evening of Easter Saturday.

Many of you will know from his film A Rather Different Year, that he developed lung cancer. That film showed how he fought it, had treatments and the removal of one lung. He made a good recovery and carried on filming, visiting festivals and giving anti-smoking talks to schools.

Then another tumour appeared in the remaining lung. It was a different type of cancer and apparently unrelated to the first one. He took treatment for that which seemed to stop its growth. In the last couple of months, however, he became very short of breath. A form of pneumonia struck. He happened to be in Germany (at a film festival, of course) when he had to call the emergency services. In hospital and on oxygen, he continued to send positive emails to friends around the world.

Sadly he lost his battle against the illness.

Our hearts go out to Karin and his family, but his closest friends have asked us NOT to telephone or email.

Among his countless trophies and awards, Bernhard had twice in succession won The Daily Mail Trophy, Britain's top amateur film award. He attended BIAFF festivals in Tonbridge and Harrogate, where he made many friends. A gesture of remembrance he would approve, is to buy a bottle of Wlliams Schnapps, take a sliver of fresh pear into your mouth and drink the schnapps over it, while thinking of him.

Dave
Michael Slowe

Re: Bernhard Hausberger

Post by Michael Slowe »

Thank you David for transmitting this sad news. What a man Bernhard was, and what courage he showed. It is amazing how terribly quickly disaster can strike as he seemed to be quite OK only a year ago at BIAFF 08.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Many thanks, Dave. Only a few days ago he sent his last message to some friends. His last photos.
How enthusiastic he was each time when we met him. He had a heart made of gold. I remember the moment when he received his trophy in Royal Tunbridge Wells. He had tears in his eyes. He was so glad. And we were all glad he had won "The Daily Mail Trophy". And yes, Dave, the schnapps he offered us. We had to drink from his bottle. A good friend passed away. My second friend this year. They were both in their fifties. I also think of his wife Karin, his children and his grandchildren he loved so much.
Willy Van der Linden
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

So sorry to hear this sad news. I met Bernhard at the last couple of BIAFF events. He was introduced to me by Mary and Peter Rouillard. His acceptance speeches were very moving. Powerful stuff. It sounded worrying when it was announced at the last Guernsey festival that he had hoped to be there, but had not been well enough to travel. A sad loss to the film world.

Ken.
Souterman

Post by Souterman »

How sad to read the news about Bernard our film world will miss his enthusiasm and camaraderie. I was there when he won his gold for the film A Rather Different Year. Believe me there wasn't a dry eye in the hall but Bernard came out smiling and deservedly so. Another film I remember watching was about an orange festival what a mess to clean up ''the camera also because he was in the thick of it''. A super man to have met and thoroughly enjoyed his company my condolences to his lovely wife Karin and family they will miss him. F
Willy

Post by Willy »

Many thanks for your moving article about Bernhard Hausberger on this website, Dave. We will always remember him as a pure blooded passionate filmmaker. We could feel his absence in Chesterfield.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Some of you will have seen the obituary for Bernhard which is linked from the front page of the main website.

There is now also a slightly different version on the UNICA pages of our website, which is in English, French and German. http://www.theiac.org.uk/unica/hausberger-obituary.htm

I had hoped that UNICA would publish it - or another obituary for him - on its website or in the long-promised electronic version of UNICA-News. Sadly they have decided that would set a difficult precedent. They continue their policy of only reporting the deaths of people who have served on the UNICA committee.

I hope those of you who have film-making contacts in other lands will draw their attention to it.

Dave Watterson