IAC International Judging ...

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Fingercuff

Re: IAC International Judging ...

Post by Fingercuff »

Just found out that 1 of my entries has won Best British Film. Obviously really happy and completely stunned. Never expected that. Wow.

Roll on next month!
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Well done! Now that really is an achievement! Congratulations - I shall watch out for it 'on the circuit'.
Fingercuff

Post by Fingercuff »

Its certainly brightened up my day at the office!
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Well done Sir. Is your piece on Vimeo? I want to see the Best British entry like now.

Edit - you're a mindreader!! I'm subscribed!
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Fingercuff - your sites are mint. Which movie did you put into Biaff? I haven't looked through all your movies - have you any dramas/stories in?
But, hey, impressive stuff.
Fingercuff

Post by Fingercuff »

Thank you for the kind words Billy. My films entered were a comedy called Tentboy (it received 3 stars) and a dark drama called Commitment (which received 5 stars and the award). I'm going to put Commitment on Vimeo this weekend because it looks awful on youtube! I'll post a link when it is up and running!
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Just had a look at some of the (Fingercuff) YouTube stuff ... and the films there explain why you've been successful. Talented. Very talented.

With the camera. With the editor. With the ideas.

Impressive stuff.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Brian Saberton wrote: ... However another film achieved just two stars and elicited a critique containing a completely erroneous assertion as to how I record my commentaries which is so utterly wrong that I am still scratching my head and trying to figure out what the author of the comment is on about. Ah well, I can console myself that the commentary for the 4 star film was produced in exactly the same way and evidently found approval.
Congratulations Mike, Brian and other Forum-friends.
Yes, Brian, we must accept the judges' comments, but I can imagine that such critiques are very irritating. Such remarks can make me furious, but of course that's also wrong. I think that the way you have recorded your commentaries must not have been of decisive importance for the judges. The film on the whole is important. The contents is. The technical aspects are less important. Hopefully I can see your 4-star film in Chesterfield and also Mike's. I am not surprised that you have won an animation award, Mike. I remember your first BIAFF one minute movie in Tunbridge Wells.

I'm getting tired of war films myself !
I myself have a four star film. "On the Road to Passchendaele". Again a film about the First World War. I can imagine that the audience and even judges are getting tired of watching my war films. I didn't expect an even better result. I was disappointed with my results for "Breendonk" some years ago. I even thought of committing suicide (joking of course). Maybe you remember, but now I don't. To be honest : I hate all those explosions, attacks, etc... myself. On the other hand we cannot do enough to commemorate all those youngsters who were killed in the Great War.

BIAFF is International
My other film "Waiting for Godot" achieved three stars. That's normal. I enjoyed making that one very much. All the actors were clubmates. An entry just to support BIAFF or to support the I in BIAFF.

Up to 2010 !
Now I've almost finished the next film. It's a Belgian-Guernsey co-production ! Peter Rouillard is my co-producer. It's not about war. It's about LOVE and the LOVELY islands of Guernsey. Then there are the Ardennes in Belgium and the Yorkshire Dales. Some Preston Movie Makers are willing to help me. My English friend Brian was with us last weekend. He told me about his neighbour. A widow. Interesting. She is a silversmith. She is very creative. She laughs a lot. She has nine cats... Some time ago Dave said that people are interested in people and that we should make films about people ... !
Willy Van der Linden
Willy

Post by Willy »

Diamond Award !
What a surprise ! After having written my previous message I saw the BIAFF results on the website. The youngest member of my club - he's 26 - won a diamond award. I encouraged him to take part in BIAFF, but maybe you also remember the problems he caused in my club. Obviously the generation gap in my club is too wide. My clubmates who had helped him to make "Amber" do not want to help him again. Samuel apologized for the mistakes he has made. Every young man must go through a learning process. Now I am waiting for his response.

Experimental film
I am surprised for several reasons. In my own club he had the worst result. His film was 9th out of 9 films ! It was not even selected for the next round or the regional competition/heat. "The Gift" (4 stars) achieved a better result in our local heat. Dave Watterson asked me to contact Samuel for an interview. Thanks to that interview I understand his film better. In my opinion you should see his film first before reading the interview which will probably appear on the website or in the IAC-magazine. This is also the reason why I don't want to say anything about the contents of this film. Of course, we must not forget that it is an experimental film. I guess that there will be some discussion. An other reason to go to Chesterfield. I remember the discussions we had on this forum about a Canadian filmmaker who won an international award some years ago... Now I am very curious. There will be quite a lot of discussion about experimental films and about the new and modern trends in filmmaking. Most young filmmakers in Belgium tend to make such mysterious films.

I'm looking forward to going to Chesterfield !
BIAFF proves that everything is so subjective. I myself thought that Samuel could win a top award with "The Gift". A film full of emotion. Maybe also because Samuel explained the meaning of that film in my club. But "Amber" ? The thoughts he wanted to express in this film "Amber" are fantastic. That's for sure, but ... Oh, we'll see. I am looking forward to going to Chesterfield !
Willy Van der Linden
ned c

Post by ned c »

Congratulations all round, what a talented bunch. Thanks to the organizers for all their hard work and nice to get a personal e-mail from David Newman, greatly appreciated.

Brian take heart from my experience with a filmed interview that elicited the judge's comment that "the woman's fake accent was ridiculous", the only problem was that it was her absolutely normal everyday accent!

ned c
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Everyone appears to be upbeat about their BIAFF results this year. Monsieur le facteur plopped my result into la boite a lettre this morning. Surprised to say, that my documentary has gained trios étoiles and will be screened on the Saturday.

Would I have liked gold? Well yes, but when you have got about as much out of your editing as you know you can, three’s a good place to be.

Looking forward to coming to Chesterfield with Christine, pity EasyJet, [oh! sorry can’t I advertise] have changed the return flight.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Ned's posting about the comment he got for one of his films highlights why judges need to be careful in writing their comments and not be too dogmatic about how they think a technical process has been carried out. Having quite a bit of personal experience of judging, including serving on the panels at BIAFF in 2007 and 2008 I've always been very careful to follow the criteria and guidelines provided by the organisers and to be as helpful, constructive and encouraging as possible in my comments. If I've learned anything at all it is that it is better to avoid commenting in precise terms on such a technical matter as it is so easy to get things wrong.
Brian Saberton
Fingercuff

Post by Fingercuff »

Thank you for the kind words Mike! It makes all the hard work worth while! I have uploaded Commitment onto Vimeo. The quality is so much better and I don't have to cut it into 2 parts like I did with youtube. Will hopefully meet some of you at the Biaff!

http://www.vimeo.com/3892580
Willy

Post by Willy »

Brian Saberton wrote:Ned's posting about the comment he got for one of his films highlights why judges need to be careful in writing their comments and not be too dogmatic about how they think a technical process has been carried out.
... .
Yes, Ned and Brian. Judges must not be too dogmatic about how they think a technical process has been carried out. One of the Belgian BIAFF-films is a "tour de force" in technical respect. Everybody wonders : "How did he do this ? That's very spectacular !". I appreciate it very much. In fact it's completely new. It is a revelation to me. An eye-opener to every viewer ! Everybody will be surprised in Chesterfield. The filmmaker has also used the advantages of new technical possibilities. He is/was right. Of course 15 years ago such effects were not possible. Computer-programmes have caused a revolution. The problem is : what must be rewarded : spectacular technical innovation or storyline ? Technical innovation may create a better storyline. In my opinion we must think of this in the first place.

I know that you have some experience of judging, Brian. I have always appreciated your comments. They've always been encouraging and constructive. In fact I appreciate the work of all judges, even if they are completely wrong. Judging is something very difficult. Me too, I have some experience. But who says that I have always been right ? I know from a Belgian ex-BIAFF judge that the films are screened one after an other in a "murderous" tempo. They are shown on small TV-screens. That's an other reason why it is not so simple to evaluate films. Maybe your both films were shown on different TV-sets with different players, Brian. Last year I was the judge at the Mersey Ten. I had the opportunity and time to watch all the films ten times on a big screen if I wished. That was a very luxurious situation. But I must admit : there were only 26 films, not 255 !
Willy Van der Linden
fraught

Post by fraught »

I'll be at BIAFF on the Sunday... looking forward to meeting those that can make it. :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net