IAC International Judging ...

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

IAC International Judging ...

Post by Dave Watterson »

As many of you know the judging of 255 or so entries in this year's IAC International Film & Video Competition took place at the weekend.

Competitors can expect to hear their results in about a month's time. As soon after that as possible they will be listed on the IAC website.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE COMPETITION OFFICER
ABOUT YOUR RESULTS UNTIL AFTER THEY APPEAR ON THE WEBSITE.

He has a busy full-time job and does the IAC work in his evenings and weekends. Stopping to deal with phone calls, emails and letters will only slow down processing of everyone's results.

In due course an article on the website will explain how the judging is done and mention which brave souls travelled at their own expense to Boldon, near Newcastle, to spend Friday night, Saturday 9am to 10pm and Sunday 9am to 3pm (for the final judges Sunday's work ended after 10.30pm) watching films, taking notes, discussing and assessing them. All those people are spending the next couple of weeks writing the notes on the films which will be sent to entrants.

It WAS hard work but also a pleasure to see such a wide range of work from all over the world. As usual there were some people new to the judging this year and - also as usual - they were astonished by the quality of work at all levels.

Several forum regulars were there - either as judges or projectionists - so the talk over meal breaks was fascinating and varied.

When the results come out - it will be interesting to hear what people think about them ...

Dave
billyfromConsett

Re: IAC International Judging ...

Post by billyfromConsett »

A few of us techies had a wonderful weekend just attaching cables, playing with buttons and watching great movies, so the judges could get on with intense and long days of carefully assessing a very large number of international entries.
It was really good to be involed, and to see talented people try to help us film-makers. The judges needed nagging to have breaks! David Newman didn't actually stop - he's gotta be running on empty this week.
It's the 4th year that I have helped with assisting the judges to see movies, and I hope I'll be invited again. Chesterfield will be my next stop just to turn up for the occasion like the rest of us. I'm looking forward to it this year. :D
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

From another 'techie' just trying to do my bit to make things happen

what a great weekend! ... with lots to do !!!! lots and lots of films seen...

judges were a joy to work with, thanks to all that visited room 4!

a big thanks also to David Newman for all his hard work and help during the weekend

that guy was the business!!!!!

had some fascinating chats with some talented people there !

hope to catch up with some of you again
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
fraught

Post by fraught »

Well... only a month to go to BIAFF09... i'm guessing the results will be out any day soon!

Tense times!
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
billyfromConsett

Well I've two films in. It'll be tough for my wife and kids if I'm not happy... (joke alert)

How many are you waiting for news about Fraught?
fraught

Post by fraught »

Just the one... all fingers crossed! LOL...

I'm not sure i can make the event, but if my film is being shown, then i'll make the extra effort to be there. :)
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Well, I heard today, to my astonishment, my little entry has won something (Animation Trophy). Shocked, but highly delighted! I couldn't get booked into the hotel when I tried (before Xmas), so shan't be coming to BIAFF this year unfortunately. Oh well...
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Congratulations, Mike. I hope I get a chance to see your film at BIAFF. We are at a film event in Reading on the Friday night so will not get up to Chesterfield until around midday on Saturday.

The Chesterfield Hotel has been fully-booked for some time. There are other places to stay quite close by - both hotels and B&Bs. Jan and I will be in another hotel. But we hope to meet old friends and new ones at the festival.

- Dave
fraught

Post by fraught »

My film got 4 stars. Chuffed with that result. The film is being shown on the Sunday, so i'll do my best to make that day. :)
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Good for you, Geoff. Now all those people who don't have internet can see the film that made the news ... and the rest of us can see it all, rather than the shortened version, and on the big screen. The farce is with you.

Dave

PS We are talking about the film Overtime which attracted a lot of press attention because it features people having Star-Wars style battles in the back room of a bank. Back then (6 months ago) banks were still thought of as dull, respectable and very serious institutions. The notion of people larking about behind the scenes was fun in itself.
billyfromConsett

Nice one Fraught. A four and a three star was very welcomed by my little ego. And one of mine is being shown. So hey, I am a happy soul this morning. :mrgreen:
Fingercuff

Post by Fingercuff »

Hey everyone! This is my first post so I should be polite and introduce myself. My name is James, I'm 28. I have been making films for the past 10 years now.

I'm still waiting to hear back about my 2 entries in the Biaff. Very tense! :D

Glad to hear that you guys have done well. Looking forward to seeing them on the big screen!
fraught

Post by fraught »

Well done Billy!

And thanks for the comments Dave. I should be there on the Sunday, so i'll make sure i look you out. :) I have atleast one old programme to pass on. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the film on the big screen again with a crowd.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

What celebrated company here! Well done to all.

Seeing one's films in the company of others and hearing the audience reaction is the best bit of all (for me anyway). I just don't think I can make it to Chesterfield this year so will not only miss out seeing all the great films mentioned here, but also miss out on meeting up with people. Pity. Never mind.

Have fun - I'll drink to your success!
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

To add to the general merriment I have a four star film being shown on the Saturday about which I am delighted. However another film achieved just two stars and elicited a critique containing a completely erroneous assertion as to how I record my commentaries which is so utterly wrong that I am still scratching my head and trying to figure out what the author of the comment is on about. Ah well, I can console myself that the commentary for the 4 star film was produced in exactly the same way and evidently found approval.
Brian Saberton