Canon's new HV40

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
tom hardwick

Canon's new HV40

Post by tom hardwick »

So Canon announce the HV40 - another new camcorder using Mini DV tape
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... lDetailAct
Mike Shaw

Re: Canon's new HV40

Post by Mike Shaw »

Is there a (sensible) alternative then?

:lol:
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

You mean that doesn't use tape? Tape is on it's way out but so is analogue TV, doesn't mean it doesn't work perfectly well.
leif

Post by leif »

I suppose the HV40 keeps the good manual options of the previous HV20/30.

Then I think you get top quality picture & audio.
You can record in HDV and still have the choice between editing in DV, which is not so demanding for pc power, or in HDV with best possible quality.

I have myself investigated these camcorders but have not decided to buy yet.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Tape is on it's way out ...
Don't say that! I've just bought 30 of them ... :cry:

I think miniDV will see me out ... I can't invest in another system now, much as I like to keep up with the latest and greatest. My early adopter days are pretty well over I
think ...
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Mike Shaw wrote:
Tape is on it's way out ...
Don't say that! I've just bought 30 of them ... :cry:
I've just bought a Z5! And I don't think that miniDV is going out to grass just yet...but I'll make you an offer for your tapes if you like :lol:

An alternative to tapes is AVCHD, though isn't AVCHD more demanding to edit than even HDV? And also AVCHD won't play your old tapes.

The Canon seems a new rival to Sony's HC9e. Looks a very good extra choice for people. Not sure if it will let you shoot in HDV and downconvert in camera - if your editing rig isn't up to HDV. But they are marketing some of the right buttons to get people interested in their cam.

Anybody - if you shoot in HDV on say a Sony, can you download the footage in and out of a computer on a Canon?
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I'll put my last question in another way - if I make a HDV film with a Canon HV30, will my club, with a Sony HDV player, be able to play my (winning :mrgreen: ) movie?
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

A very good question Billy, and there's nothing to be said but suck-it-and-see. I say this because a recent film competition I judged included an HDV tape that was recorded on a Canon HV20 (or maybe a 10). It wouldn't play back (no sound or picture) in either of my Sony HDV camcorders, though strangely enough I could see the images in cue and review.

It makes me wary about keeping HDV MiniDV tape masters up on the shelf. I've always considered tape to be a great, cheap, compact and reliable archiving medium, but if it means keeping the camcorder alive that recorded it, that's not so clever.

tom.
ned c

Post by ned c »

I have a Canon HV20 and use it mxing the shots with those from an XH A1 and use a Sony HVR-M15U deck for capture, recording to tape and review. No problems.

ned c
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Strange that at this week's Video Forum (Earls Court) Canon were only showing the HV30, not the new 40 model. They seemed quite surprised that I knew of the latest model - haven't they heard of the internet?
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I've been wondering about the compatibility of playback of HD tapes on one machine when recorded on another. I figured trhe safest bet would be the Sony MiniDV player - the new generation of the DV D1000. Been thinking of adding one for just that reason - my existing D1000 seems to play back anything thrown at it - except HD of course. They're pricey though (around £1000), and as yet, I'm shooting HD but making SD films.

I hate system changeover periods ... I shall be sticking with the apparently dying out miniDV for quite a while yet, I think!

It was quite different in Henry VIII's days. They didn't have to worry about video formats. Lucky people!
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

[quote="Mike Shaw"]I shall be sticking with the apparently dying out miniDV for quite a while yet, I think![/quote]

MiniDV is dying out slowly, but it's had a mighty fine run for 14 years, recording DV in LP, SP and DVCAM, and HDV too.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

14 years is nothing Tom!! My Dad swore the garden axe he used had been in the family for nearly 600 years! Mind you, he did say the head had been changed quite a few times, and it had had a new shaft fairly regularly ...

But it still looked good as new!! :roll: