Clubs - the past or the future?

IAC General Discussions
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Make the club look interesting, dynamic, active, fun and people will want to beat a path to your door. For a start, the local press will be interested in reporting the club's activities. The word would get around.

Make the club dull and clicky, with a rather drab routine of uninspired meetings, and poor public shows, and you'll be doomed, Mr Mannering, doomed.

Having said that, there are unquestionably areas where all the enthusiasm in the world would have no effect.

One place to start looking, I think, would be the senior schools - I was surprised at how many of them have 'media' departments fully equipped with top notch move making equipment - and the 'classes' (school societies and clubs) are turning out some really exciting and innovative movies. (My granddaughter - 15 at the time - surprised me by asking me for help in making a 'commercial' for a film project she had to do for her school - a basic comprehensive school!). They're the people who need to be attracted - and it would be possible, I believe, given the right approach.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Top tip Mike. Couldn't agree more. I was at our club tonight and asked a fellow member who works in marketing if he'll help us get our name in our local community, and the man said yes.

So we need to look to explore your idea and a few others to buck the modern trend that clubs of all kinds are having to face.

Our council sent a post through the door to our whole neighbourhood to canvas us all, to go to an energy conservation meeting - where there would be free food and drinks, bingo and friendly faces, as well as free guides to save money on heating. Free bingo!! They are using any tactics to get people to actually meet each other!

Anyhow, my friend at the club said also that we need to connect with young people. Your idea shares this.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

There is an old advertising adage (which you've probably heard), that says, 'sell the sizzle, not the sausage'. It may sound a corny cliche, but in fact it really works if properly applied. People don't really care that you have a club of video-makers, but they might be interested if you offer to show or help them how to turn that wedding movie into a holywood epic, or those holiday videos into an interesting documentary, and so on.

Where schools are concerned, what could they possibly want? They have all the equipment they need. They have (presumably) access to advice on how to use that equipment. What more could they want?

Audiences.

And, they can get those through clubs - and IAC competitions.

I heard about one club that turned down an idea for a poster that showed its members in action makiing a movie, with a buzzy headline inviting people to join the shoot, in favour of a stock shot of a camcorder headlined with the name of the club.

Which would attract you more?
stingman

Post by stingman »

Good ideas Mike. May be those ideas should be included in an Article in The IAC Mag.

Or just give free Bigo at teabreak in the club!!

Be good..

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker