Super 8 Kodak K40

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
sorcerer

Super 8 Kodak K40

Post by sorcerer »

My mother-in-law phoned me yesterday to see if I could help (she's 90 miles away so I'm relaying her message and haven't actually seen this for myself).

It seems that she was clearing out some cupboards and came across some reels of Super 8 cine film, including one which apparently hasn't been processed yet. The markings on the box/reel/whatever are:

Kodachrome 40 Movie Film Type A. Super 8 Cartridge. K40

Anyone know where she can get it processed please?

Cheers,

sorcerer
PS, just in case it makes a difference, perhaps I should have said that I'm in Preston, Lancashire and MIL is in Carlisle.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Kodak do not process it at all any more.

They refer all US and European enquiries to
Dwayne's Photo
PO Box 274 or 415 S 32nd St.
Parsons, KS 67357
USA

who describe themselves as "America's most experienced, independent, specialty photo processor. " and "the only remaining Kodak certified Kodachrome film processor in the U.S."

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com

Their order form says $10 processing fee, international postage $13.95 - not fast but a lot cheaper than FedEx. They require payment by PayPal or Credit Card. Add your outbound postage.

That seems a reasonable price for seeing if there is anything of family importance on the film.

Dave
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Is there a time limit on processing though, but for that little price it might be worth just going for it, and see if there's a nice surprise.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Thanks very much Dave, and you too Billy.

I knew that we were having a bit of difficulty finding somewhere locally but I never thought it would have to go to the states :shock: :D

Anyway, once again, thanks for your help and I'll let you know how if there's anything on it.

Sorcerer
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Worth checking to make sure the film has actually been exposed and you're not sending an unexposed film off for processing, as it'll be dear. Look at the film strip in the gate area - does it show a cutout where the perforations should be?

But if it has been exposed then being Kodachrome it'll be fine - I'm sure. There was no more stable stock than Kodachrome, which is why Art Garfunkel sang about it.

tom.
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

tom hardwick wrote: Look at the film strip in the gate area - does it show a cutout where the perforations should be?
The word "EXPOSED" will also be printed at the end of the film next to the cutout if the cartridge has been finished.
But if it has been exposed then being Kodachrome it'll be fine - I'm sure. There was no more stable stock than Kodachrome, which is why Art Garfunkel sang about it.
There is a little bit more to it than that. Kodachrome is indeed very stable, but only once developed. Very old undeveloped K40 is likely to have shifted towards being magenta in colour, but in my experience generally acceptably so, or not so badly that it can't be improved somewhat with colour correction. I suppose that if it has gone really magenta it could be usefully viewable as a B&W image once a bit of computer trickery has been applied.

Bart
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Strangely enough, my mother-in-law rang us just a couple of days ago to say that it had come back from Dwayne's Photo and that there was about three minutes of viewable footage, but that it was red in colour.

Anyway, red (magenta) or not, she's more than happy that she had it developed, so thanks to you all for your input and suggestions.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

If the red footage is transferred to the timeline then digital colour correction can get to work. I've been simply staggered at what can be retrieved from apparently hopeless film.

tom.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Thanks for that Tom - what software would be needed for this? I use Windows XP Pro (SP3) and have Nero Ultimate (7.7.5.1 IIRC)
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I always colour correct with the Canopus Storm2 software. It has a white and black balance filter - meaning that you can click your mouse cursor on anything in that frame that you consider should be white and the entire clip is so corrected. If that's too blue-white for your liking (for instance) you can fine tune the 4 sliders to give you exactly the colours you'd like.

I've pulled back ancient movie film from the brink that way, and an awful lot of ancient Ilfochrome, Perutzchrom and Orwochrome that have turned completely magenta or red have been salvaged.

I've got some before and after frame grabs on my computer here that look as if they've been done the other way around - i.e. starting off ok and being degraded by tom.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

There's an example on this page:

http://www.fortvir.net/gallery2/main.ph ... &g2_page=6

showing what my colour correction was able to do for the wedding speeches when a filmmaker had chip-block failure with his Sony PD170.

If you click on the individual pictures they'll enlarge.

tom.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Wow, that's quite some improvement there Tom. Thanks for the suggestion.

John.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I'm going to try your black and white balance filter with my Storm software (video filters in prem 6.5?) and see if helps with a colour balance problem of using two cams to do a wedding. I've fiddled without great success.

thanks for that little tip.
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

That's pretty good grading!
At the moment I'm grading a field-trip movie I'm doing for our Yr8 geography class.
Shot on a Sony A1E, with yellow highights, blue shadows and horrible contrast (Next time I'll use my HVX).
Fortunatly in Media Composer I can at least controll High, Mid and Shadow separatly else I'd be scuppered.
Dave