Panasonic HVX200

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
stingman

Post by stingman »

billyfromConsett wrote:So you film with a FX1 Stingman? Any films anywhere for us to see how you manage with such a beast?

The FX1000 or Z5 is on my shopping list. Just need to get wor lass to get a bit of overtime in....
No BillyfromConsett! I film with a Crappy £150er JVC. When I need to film inportant stuff, then I use my friends. I enjoy useing his camera, it`s so simple to use, it feels right on the shoulder and looks the part when I`m filming for an organisation.
If I owned one, I would be WELL HAPPY. And being HD, when I upgrade my computer (one day!) then I`ve got lots of material to start re-editing with in HD.

Be good...

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

The manufacturers will always follow what they think the mass market wants and at the moment this seems to be recording to sd cards or hard drives. I like mini dv tape as a recording medium because its cheap and I always keep my original camera tapes (a) for back up, and (b) because I sometimes go back to the original material to re-edit or update some films. I've been thinking about upgrading to HD but find that there are now very few cameras on the market that record to tape and don't cost the earth so I don't really know which way to jump. My gut instinct is to stick with tape but I can see some advantages in using SD cards.
Brian Saberton
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Same here Brian......

after burning a fair bit of midnight oil researching the interweb thingy I have also come to the conclusion that it is probably a bad time to buy a camera at present (gosh ! ... there I said it.... now that feels much better already !!!)

archiving to tape, the unit cost and simple retrieval for re-edits is a definite plus for DV tape models...

Camera manufacturers are bringing models out on a monthly basis !!!!... no wonder peeps are confused

but something occurred to me recently....

instead of filling the grey matter with all the specs, costs, storage problems, software upgrades and the wringing of the hands in fear of a bad purchase ..

just use your current gear to the best of your ability and make films that have been thought through!

HD is pretty cool stuff, but it's a pointless exercise if you loose sight of the other disciplines that make a good film...
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.