BIAFF Results 2022

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Howard-Smith

Re: BIAFF Results 2022

Post by Howard-Smith »

Thanks Michael. I’ll have to get used to the idea that I’ve peaked (last year) and the only way now is down. I might scale back my filmmaking now and let more youngsters take over. A couple of people have today suggested that I send in too many films. Something for me to think about.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

No Howard, that is not the right way to think. In 1970 something I won a top thing (it was called International in those days) and didn't win another until around 2008, there is no peak, just an ongoing creative process. Enjoy it, that's what it's all about.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Ok thanks Michael. Yes I’ll carry on. I must admit that making films is what I enjoy doing the most.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

In years gone by this thread would now be buzzing with comments and discussions about the BIAFF results which all went out to the filmmakers yesterday. This forum has gone lifeless, dormant. Hardly anybody bothers with it anymore. Pity.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

It is a pity the forum is quiet ... but perhaps people need more time to consider their results, calm down and reflect on them.

Just after I wrote that sentence I received a comment on Facebook Messenger from an overseas entrant, who takes part in a great many festivals:
Just received a jury evaluation for my contribution to BIAFF. I must say, these jury texts are absolutely splendid and well worded. Such a balm for the lonely soul.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Yes, but Dave, it is true that the Forum is hardly used. There is a big membership of the IAC and I'm amazed that they don't talk to each other. There is a small group (unconnected to the IAC), who communicate between themselves, of which I am a member, but where is the wider IAC membership. Perhaps you, as a man of considerable influence and prestige, could do something about it?
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Flattery, Michael!!!

I think some of the interest has moved to the various FaceBook groups and to a Twitter feed which is mainly dormant.

On the broader question of involvement ... I think we are going through a period of social disengagement. People are forgetting the importance of being together in our hobbies and interests. They either make their own way, or join with a small coterie of friends and do not look further afield. If that is the case, it helps to explain the reducing number of clubs and even IAC regional organisations.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

On the theme of judges' comments ... I have now heard some very negative responses as well as the foreign praise quoted earlier.

What does everyone think about the remarks they received?
Jon Pegg

Post by Jon Pegg »

Mostly very good and constructive as always Dave.

One thing on the diamond judging part that raised my eyebrows and irked Kia was the judges comment that the two girls couldn’t keep up(with the adults) but were on track to do so.
What made this quite humerous is that Kia is a young looking 21 so is an adult playing a teenager and is easily the most experienced actor in the film. Also the fact her resume contains
200 episodes on a long running children’s program
4 feature films
A 13 year tv career with out a gap
A bafta nomination
2 RTS nominations (1 win)
Just signed a long term deal with a soap.
Presenting work with bafta ,bbc and Saturday morning tv (live)
Numerous other bit and pieces
Working on bafta kids mental health project
Just been included in this years bbc 100 most influential
And running and teaching her own acting classes
Made it just a bit odd that someone told her she wasn’t ready to keep up with the adults yet lol

Still I said to Kia your acting must be pretty good if the judges think you are actualy a struggling teen just being yrself!!

I just think sometimes when passing judgement on what is thought to be a child actor it’s easy to make throwaway comments. But it’s probably best to check they are not an RTS winning 21 year old who looks young.
Funnily enough Kia had a simeler experience on her new show with an older actor giving her advice about how tough it is until a producer told the actor to google her and check out her resume lol.

Still it’s all good and looking forward to the festival as always.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Six 4 star films.
Two 3 star films.
One 2 star film.
Nothing being shown at the BIAFF weekend.
I have one 4 star film being shown online on the Tuesday evening but nobody will convince me that this is as good as having the film shown at the live event sitting watching it on a big screen with an audience.
Anyway congratulations to the winners.
Last edited by Howard-Smith on Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:24 am, edited 21 times in total.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Howard, I simply can't believe what I just read in your last post.
When you submit a work, be it a painting, poem, piece of music or a film, to a panel of judges, you can't possibly complain when they don't rate it for a top prize. You may well disagree with them privately, but rather like a batsman being given out at cricket, you just have quietly to accept the decision. They had hundreds of films submitted and there are eight places for a Diamond and probably a similar number for a Five.

Since you ask, (you didn't!), I too might, in a different year, have done better with one of my films but I, and nor do you, don't yet know how good are the films filling those top places. We'll see next month!
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

I’ve amended my previous comments.
Last edited by Howard-Smith on Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Hello friends, Yes, the forum is hardly used nowadays. It has gone dormant. But thanks to Howard-Smith, Michael Slowe and some other ones it's still alive. And actually it's thanks to our man of considerable influence and prestige that the discussion about the results has started again.

Actually 6 times 4 stars is exceptional. Has this already happened at BIAFF? Congratulations, Howard!
I have not seen any new film made by Howard, but maybe he has reasons to feel irritated. Now it's time to load up your batteries again, Howard. Not long ago it was your 70th birthday. Same age as Ken's. I thought you were both much younger. You are still young boys. You still have at least twenty years to try and win a diamond. You both make extremely grippy fiction films.

BIAFF is a festival
Our documentary maker Michael Slowe told us that he waited and waited ... until 2008 to be one of the BIAFF-winners again. Eventually he didn't have to wait for Godot. Lucky guy! I remember he was extremely happy. But he was also disappointed when he once received only one star. We must not be hypocrite. When taking part at BIAFF we always hope to be successful. It's a competition. BIAFF has a fantastic reputation in the UK and abroad. But after some years the desire for success at a festival softens. That's my feeling. I received diamonds in 2001 and 2002. At that time it was called "international medallion". Just like Howard I thought some of my movies, that were certainly better than the ones in 2001 and 2002, deserved diamonds. Now I have a big collection of 5 star certificates and I am very proud now. After all it means that most of my films have been appreciated by the audience and by judges. Perhaps BIAFF is rather a festival than a competition. And there will always be discussions. I have never had the feeling that I had to compete with friends.

My scrabble film "The Fall of Icarus" was made to please some friends
What about this year? I don't know. I have not received the result for my "scrabble film" yet. I am a member of a scrabble club in Belgium and I promised my friends and contenders to make a fiction film about a scrabble game. I enjoyed making it. It will not be shown not at the Winners' show in Birmingham - I am pretty sure about that -, but it will be screened at our Gala Film Festival in our community which always attracts an audience of 250 to 300 people. My scrabble-mates will be there. That's great, isn't it?

Werner Haegeman 5 stars
However, I already know that one of my clubmates won 5 stars at BIAFF. His film is called "Thirsty". His name is Werner Haegeman. A fantastic young guy. Only 63. Michael Slowe says: "Maybe the youngsters are doing better with more imagination". He is right. Werner won with his "Swimming Pool" a diamond two or three years ago. It caused some discussion, also on this forum, but his films are always very special. And we, old folks, still make stereotypical old fashioned movies. We must admit that.

Werner will attend BIAFF at Birmingham just like two years ago. Maybe you also remember my article about him in "Film & Video Maker". And be sure he has another extraordinary movie in the pipeline. He retired this month and he is very motivated to be even more creative and innovative.

"I am not allowed to drive the car in England anymore!"
Unfortunately I myself will not be able to go to Birmingham. It would be too risky at the moment. And Vera is scared when I am behind the steering wheel of my car. Even in Belgium. But of course I will watch BIAFF on zoom.

Early December I will be back in England. I will cross the Channel for the first time after corona. I have already booked my favourite holiday cottage in Tenterden. Once Dave visited me there when he and Jan were on their way to East Anglia. And I have also booked three nights at a B&B in Goudhurst. That's also a lovely village in the Garden of England. My friend will drive the car again.

Maybe we can meet again on zoom this month. I am pleased to hear that Howard will be in Birmingham. I am jealous.
Willy Van der Linden
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Hello Willy, it’s great to read your message!
Actually Ken Wilson is about 6 weeks older than me. My 70th birthday will be on 15th May.
Last year I got a Diamond award for Conrad and 5 stars for Sean. Perhaps I should have made more films with boys’ names in the title for this year!
I had previously won three other 5 star awards between 2015 and 2018.
If you want to watch my new films, Willy, they are all on my Vimeo page:
https://vimeo.com/howardsmith39110714
My films titles to look for are:
4 stars: SELF ASSESSMENT, HONESTLY, STOCKHAUSEN SYNDROME, THIS IS THE END, THE MORALITY OF LYING (38 minutes!) and DEAD TONIGHT.
3 stars: FAMILY TREE, FACE TIME
2 stars: LIV & JANEY
I would very much like to see your Scrabble film sometime when it is possible to do so. I hope you are pleased with the award you get for it!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Willy - I believe all the results have gone out. Please check your email spam folder, it may have gone there.
If you cannot find it then contact the organising team on biaffcompetition@gmail.com