BIAFF Results 2022

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Howard-Smith

Re: BIAFF Results 2022

Post by Howard-Smith »

Just like I did with ‘Sean’ and ‘Why Remember?”, John. But Bob’s films are a lot funnier than mine! 😂
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

Yes, I was thinking of Sean when I wrote the reply. That film did so well at the Purbeck Film Festival. I had forgotten about "Why Remember" but that is an amazing film as well. Of course if a filmaker is working on their own it is not so easy to do pan and slider type shots, and although self sufficiency is very appealing, working well with others can be so much more rewarding. As I recently found out when everybody at Bournemouth Film and Video Club wanted to play ball in our film "Contradictory Sayings"
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Well John, I have worked alone making films for well over fifty years, with considerable success I'm glad to say. They are all documentaries or cut to music pieces so can be managed solo. I can't share the creative process I'm afraid, it is a very personal matter film making, as far as I'm concerned. I do appreciate that the more ambitious productions do certainly need a team, if only for the simple logistics.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I will not spare your blushes, Michael. You once worked on a club production ...
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Dave, I did remember that as I was writing but, I did it reluctantly, and it didn't set the world alight and anyway, how do you know about it?
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I saw it - possibly in the days of LIAFF.
Dave
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Dave, are you old enough to remember LAFF?
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I was General Secretary of the British Federation of Film Societies and as such was invited to join the jury for "The Ten Best". Then I was commandeered for IAC in the Bernard Ashby era - watching films in his ?mother-in-laws's home. Jan and I went to LAFFs in various hotels and once in the BAFTA cinema.
Roger Fowles

Post by Roger Fowles »

Hi,

I’m new here and new to the competition (although no youngster!), but I thought I’d chip in – if for no other reason than to add at least one more voice to the forum contributions!

I submitted 5 films, all animations, and got three 2 star, one 4 star and one 5 star, which I was obviously very pleased with. I was disappointed that one of the 2 star films didn’t do better, but overall I thought all of the Judges’ comments were fair and understandable, even though I might have a different perspective on some of the points they raised! (not for the 5 star film obviously - their comments were spot on for that one!)

I had faith in my work, and the film I was most happy with got the 5 stars, but I didn’t really know what to expect in terms of the competition judging, so I was pleased. I don’t know a lot about other competitions that are out there, but it seems that getting comments on all of the films you might submit is a pretty rare thing, and something to value.

I guess it’s easier to say that given that a couple of the films did well, and of course I’m interested in what people think of them, but regardless of what the scores or comments might have been I’m big and ugly enough to be able to take criticism and to carry on making films – first and foremost because I enjoy it so much.

I don’t think I will be able to make it to the Festival in Birmingham, which is a shame because it would be nice to meet some fellow film makers, but I hope it goes well.
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

Welcome Roger, it is great to have a new person on the Forum, Glad that you put your films into BIAFF. Are they on YouTube or Vimeo? If they are perhaps you will share a link.
Roger Fowles

Post by Roger Fowles »

Thanks John,

You should be able to see the five films I entered here;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtLdw7 ... 4c15I-QC9Q

"A Moving Experience" was lucky enough to get 5 stars, "These Days" 4 and the other three got 2 each.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

May I echo John's welcome.
It sounds as if this is the first time you've entered BIAFF. May I ask how you discovered it?
It is a shame if you can't make it to Birmingham, especially as "A Moving Experience" is being screened on the Sunday. If you've never seen your film on a big screen in front of a theatre full of people, it's well worth experienceing.
If you can't make it in person, I hope can attend on-line. You will need to register. Links are on the website at biaff.org.uk
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roger Fowles

Post by Roger Fowles »

Thanks Tim

Yes - Google is my friend , and looking for film competitions I found BIAFF. The fact that every film got feedback was very appealing.

Many many years ago I entered competitions run by Movie Maker and Film Making magazines. Those magazines went away, and life happened to me, so when I retired a few years ago and a friend asked me if I could make a video for YouTube to compliment one of his songs I started to get back into it.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Three clubmates will be in Birmingham
5 stars and I won't be able to attend BIAFF! That's a pity. But I will certainly see BIAFF on zoom. I registered some days ago. Moreover three clubmates will be in Birmingham. Werner Haegeman, his son Janos Haegeman and his neighbour De Ceuster. I have given Werner a list with the names of my friends on the forum and to have a chat with them if possible. He knows very well why I will not be able to come.

Areas of outstanding beauty
Werner will come by air. Perhaps most members of the IAC know that I am afraid of flying... In 22 years I missed about 4 or 5 BIAFFs. I made the trips to Buxton, Bedford, Harrogate, Weymouth, Norwich, Sittingbourne,...by car. Vera and I enjoyed these journeys very much. Some years ago we looked forward to going to Stratford-on-Avon, a place near the Cotswolds that we visited in the "Good Old Days". Unfortunately because of COVID-19 we had to stay at home. BIAFF did not take place. 2013 was also an "annus horribilis" for me, but I don't want to talk about it anymore. I feel OK now, though I had big problems in October last year. I can't give you any details. Going to Birmingman, a city with about 1 million inhabitants. It is not so easy to get there, I fear. Maybe I am wrong. To be honest I prefer places like Harrogate, Buxton etc... They're not far from areas of outstanding beauty. Moreover, Vera got a knee replacement in October. Afterwards she had a torn shoulder caused by walking with crutches. She's still recovering after two infiltration jabs. Perhaps she still needs a third one to avoid an operation. I could also go by train. But, my wife prefers to stay at home. I understand. So, we'll see.

Special passport
Another little problem: after Brexit Europeans are obliged to buy a special passport. It means about 2 x £50 to £60 = £120 for a couple. I asked Werner if he and his friends have already a special passport. No problem, he said. Now, I am jealous not being able to accompany him to Birmingham, but just like last year I will probably be able to see you again on zoom. I wish the IAC and BIAFF all success! See you online.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Willy, I have not heard of special passports ... The official website suggests you only need your eyes passport. Can you tell us more?

You and Vera will be missed a lot... But many UK people will not get there in person either. The damned resurgence of covid !!!