BIAFF Results 2022

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Willy

Re: BIAFF Results 2022

Post by Willy »

Many thanks for telling me, Dave. I've checked my spam-mail. I've sent a message to BIAFF.
Willy Van der Linden
Willy

Post by Willy »

What a surprise! "The Fall of Icarus" 5 stars! I didn't expect it. One English friend told me that she found it a superb film. She had laughed quite a lot. She found it a very funny story. Another one didn't seem to be enthusiastic at all. That's why my expectations were rather low.

Making this film looked like a never ending story. The camera work could be done just before lockdown. But it took a long time to edit it. One moment I felt exhausted. It took almost one year to do the editing and I had many technical problems.

I won the national film festival with my Scottish movie "His Royal Highland Laddie" last year. I was disappointed to hear that my "Fall of Icarus" was not selected for the National Festival this year. However, our national secretary let it be understood that she didn't agree with the decision of the judges and that she enjoyed my film very much. Yes, you are right, Michael. It's all very subjective.

I am very happy that the work done by my two young actors Bram and Marthe was not useless. They were always relaxed during the shootings. They hit it off and they had learned their role very well. I had made a storyboard with about 120 sketches. Bram and Marthe are members of the local drama club. They did their utmost. I am also grateful to my clubmates who made efforts to help me. We are a good club and help each other all the time. I look forward to our local Gala Film Festival in our Festival Aula with about 300 seats on 5th November.
Willy Van der Linden
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Huge congratulations on your 5 star award for your Scrabble film Willy! You also deserve a quadruple word score for the title The Fall of Icarus. Well done.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Willy, I echo Howard's congratulations, and look forward to seeing the film. You and I are now among the oldest active film makers and it's encouraging to see that not all old men are 'over the hill'.
Richard Scarsbrook

Post by Richard Scarsbrook »

In response to Dave Watterson’s request for views on judges’ comments....
By mid-December last year I hadn’t completed any new films with a BIAFF audience in mind. The IAC seemed keen to encourage entries, and had a free entry offer for members expiring in a few days. So I decided to enter two family films which had each had an excellent reception from family and friends, as an experiment to see what the judges made of them. The unsurprising conclusion was that they will be marked down, so I shan’t enter this type of film again. I had no issues with the comments though.

One film was enjoyed by the judges, got lovely appreciative comments, and an apology for only being awarded 3 stars.

The other was a one minute multi-generation thing that clearly baffled the judges, who gave it 1 star. To be honest I entered it without much thought, and on reflection I can see their problem – the film assumes you know who the people shown are. The comments politely explained their criticism and made a suggestion as to how it might have been addressed. The comments ended by recognising that it “will be a wonderful record for the family archives”, which is exactly what it was made for. So no hard feelings, and I now need only a diamond to complete the set of BIAFF awards!

I finished a documentary about the closure of Cheadle and Gatley club a few days before the BIAFF closing date. This film was made specifically for the IAC audience and I was disappointed that it only received 3 stars. The comments were positive, inoffensive, and unhelpful. They did not identify any flaws nor did they make any suggestions for improvement, leaving me none the wiser as to what I could have done to achieve a better score.

This is what a couple of filmmakers I know said about their experiences this year:
  • “Some of the others I entered hard [sic] quite harsh critiques, but you pick yourself up and hopefully improve.....ruthless feedback on others, a learning curve”
  • “On a whole, the critiques were good and encouraging for more films to be made,”
In response to Howard Smith not having any of his films shown this year.....
Commiserations. I hadn’t really thought about the implications of the revised format for BIAFF this year, with all showings in one room. At previous BIAFFs I've attended Sunday has provided one screen-day of viewing, mainly for the 5 star and diamond films, which I guess make up 10% or less of the entries. On Saturday there were four mini-cinemas, making 4 screen-days of viewing available for the other 90% of entries, drawn mostly from the 3 and 4 star films. This year there is only one screen-day available, so on average the chances of getting a film shown have been slashed by a factor of four. I suspect there will be a lot of disappointed filmmakers. I'm unhappy that my Cheadle & Gatley film won't get a showing; I'm sure it would be of interest to people who run IAC clubs.

I wonder what impact the change will have on attendances in future years?
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Just to add to the last part of Richard's comment:
There will be online shows on the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday before BIAFF so we will miss too many.
Simon Sumner

Post by Simon Sumner »

Just to be clear, the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday shows are PART of BIAFF 2022, no less important than the weekend shows. I really want to stress that.

Folks need to register via the Eventbrite link to receive access and programme details:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/biaff-the- ... 0216273957
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

To be fair Simon, the advertising and the booking form suggest that the Film Festival is the Weekend "Two Days of Film Presentations" much more thought needs to have gone into this!
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

It’s good to have more BIAFF films being shown online Tuesday to Thursday but in my opinion online screenings can never match the experience of seeing films with a live audience.
Last edited by Howard-Smith on Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

John Simpson wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:18 am To be fair Simon, the advertising and the booking form suggest that the Film Festival is the Weekend "Two Days of Film Presentations" much more thought needs to have gone into this!
I suspect the online stuff was added after the initial publicity bumph went out. I'm not sure "much more thought" is required so much as much more puiblicity.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

Yes Tim but the online "bumph" is still the same as when it first went up, although the the Festival is now different.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

The results are up!

Visit www.biaff.org.UK to see all of them -except of course the top two which will be announced at the event.

AND

the festival programmes for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday are up online.

Don't forget to register (free) for watching the shows online -[ essential for Tuesday to Thursday) at Eventbright
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/biaff-the- ... 0216273957
Simon Sumner

Post by Simon Sumner »

Many thanks Jan and Dave for updating the site so quickly.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

I’ve read through the lists of awards and there are many films listed that I’m really looking forward to at BIAFF. Congratulations once more to the winning filmmakers.
I miss Bob Lorrimer’s films and wonder whether Bob still makes his quirky comedies? The last one I remember was his Diamond award winning HIGHLY LIKELY.
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

Yes Bob Lorrimer seems to be able to do everything himself in his films, which is a reminder of what can be done even with limited resources.