BIAFF 2022

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Howard-Smith

BIAFF 2022

Post by Howard-Smith »

As there’s been nothing happening on the forum recently let’s talk about BIAFF 2022.

Firstly I think it’s brilliant that IAC members are able to submit films free of charge up to 20th December.

Secondly I like what I’ve heard about the arrangements for the actual event in Birmingham. I understand that The Crescent Theatre will be the venue for Friday evening’s AV show and also the Saturday and Sunday film shows. The main change is the fact that the ‘Mini Cinemas’ are gone and everyone will watch the Saturday films as a single audience. This means that fewer films can be shown but it avoids the embarrassment of very few people attending Mini Cinema shows.

The Gala Dinner will be at the Novotel on Broad Street which is very near the Crescent Theatre.
I’ve managed to book two nights at the nearby Premier Inn for £110 (not including breakfast). I’m looking forward to it all. It’ll be great to have BIAFF back as a live event for the first time since 2019.
Howard-Smith

Re: BIAFF 2022

Post by Howard-Smith »

By the way, I’ve gone for an inexpensive option regarding the hotel but if I were well off I’d have gone for either the Hilton Garden Hotel (where BIAFF 2019 was held on the Friday and Saturday) or even better the Novotel where the Gala Dinner is being held. Both of these are very close to The Crescent.
I hope that everyone else is as excited and enthusiastic about BIAFF 2022 as I am!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Jan and I have got our hotel sorted for BIAFF. Thanks to a Swiss friend who had reserved for UNICA Birmingham in 2020. Between him and Jan and they were able to negotiate with the hotel for us to use it for the BIAFF weekend.

I believe we will be meeting in the Crescent Theatre's Studio - its second auditorium. Numbers will almost certainly be too low to justify the main auditorium. But we will be watching the cream of the crop in cinema conditions.

Anyone who has not visited Birmingham in recent years will be delighted by the revamp of the city in this area. There are stunning public buildings and more cafes, restaurants and bars than you could imagine. If you come by public transport the tram system will help you get right to the vicinity of the theatre and hotels.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

I have to confess that I’m a little disappointed that it’s the Crescent Theatre Studio rather than the main auditorium. I haven’t been to the Crescent Studio before and I hope it’s bigger than it sounds. What’s the seating capacity, Dave?
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

According to the theatre's website it has a maximum capacity of 120.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Where are you getting this info, Howard?
What arrangements have you made for eating/are the organisers making for eating? In previous years this was easy - one could book meals in the hotel in which the films were being shown. Indeed one could book meals on the BIAFF booking slip.
At the last "live" BIAFF, like you I stayed in a Premier Inn/Travel Lodge, but was able to book even breakfast at the hotel.

I don't go anywhere until I know where I'm going to eat!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

I don’t think Mike Whyman will mind (as it’s surely not ‘secret’ information) if I reveal that I asked him about the format for BIAFF 2022 and it was he who told me.
At BIAFF 2019 the hotel where BIAFF was based was the Hilton Garden hotel. I wasn’t overly impressed with the food and I remember that coffee wasn’t included in the Gala dinner. This year the Gala dinner is at the Novotel where I dined years ago and I was very impressed with the meal.
I might get up early and have breakfast at Wetherspoons which is nearby as the Premier breakfast is a bit pricey at £19.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

But, apart from the Gala Dinner, what are you doing about other meals? It would be a shame if we can't arrange for at least some of us to lunch and dine together as we have so little time for mixing and discussing, meal times form part of it.
I may join you at a Premier Inn. No sure I could face Wetherspoons, firt thing in the morning, though! I can just see you dressed as Sean, turning up there and ordering a beer & whiskey chaser.
Tim
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

I haven’t planned yet what to do about other meals, Tim. (And I might end up paying for the two Premier breakfasts.) We’d better wait and see what is on the BIAFF booking form (which will be issued with the next FVM) as for all we know some other other meals may be mentioned as being bookable. I remember for instance there was a buffet Sunday lunch at The Crescent in 2019 (which some people seemed to help themselves to, not having paid, if I’m not mistaken!)
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi to everyone on the forum! It's been a while.

I note from Simon Sumner that we (hopefully) have a physical festival to attend next year :D Does anyone know where there might be a booking form to download as I would really like to attend and don't seem to have seen one yet (in fact I can't remember the last time I had FVM pushed through the letterbox!)

I was wondering what everyone had planned for their stays and also for meals and breakfasts as previous posts leave me a little undecided what to do...

I look forward to meeting up again after what seems like an eternity :)
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

John, I’d be devastated if BIAFF 2022 as a live event in Birmingham was cancelled! Zoom events are a pale shadow of physical events.
If you’re still a paid-up member of the IAC it’s puzzling as to why you’re not receiving FVM in the post. The most recent edition (which included my article ‘The Making of Sean’) included a BIAFF booking form. Booking includes the option of accommodation at the Novotel on Broad Street but I’ve already booked two nights at the Premier Inn off Broad Street. Both are within easy distance of the Crescent Theatre. If you want, John, I can email you a pdf of the booking form… but I can’t locate your email address. Mine is rohosmit@aol.com.
I look forward to seeing you there!
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Howard - great to hear from you!

Yes, I'm still a fully paid-up IAC member, and with no FVM I might take you up on the offer of a copy of the booking form. I'll send my email address :)

I was looking at hotel options; the Premier Inn now wants £165 for 2 nights, it seems the Saturday night stay is now double the normal rate :o and the Novotel are quoting £242... :roll:

John R
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Try admin@theiac.org.uk to request the missing magazines ...
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Mr Roberts! How happy i am to see you back!

It is indeed £243 for the Novotel (but that does include all events, Gala Dinner, 2 lunches and the inevitable single room supplement (we could have shared - and maybe started a rumour or two :lol: :lol: ) I don't consider that particularly bad value.

I was apparently first to book.

Do you by any chance have a Squier/Fender Jazz bass you want to dispose of?
Tim
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Tim - happy to see you too!

I was looking at hotel prices online before Howard sent me the booking form, and the Novotel alone is £243 from booking.com, obviously without any of the extras thrown in :shock: I have managed to book nearby at £142 for the two nights, with breakfast and WiFi included, so I would just have to pay extra for the screenings and lunches as required (as you know I don't usually partake in the Gala Dinner). I could've got it a little cheaper but the cost includes free cancellation up to one day before (one never knows, so just in case...) and payment on arrival.

[offtopic] Oh and re the bass - how dare you use bad language :lol: I'm a Warwick man through and through and have been for 30+ years, although the Japanese Fender Precision Lyte I owned previous to the Warwicks was 'the best of the rest.' I always found the traditional Fenders 'one sound wonders' and generally played like an RSJ. I do hope you are sourcing one to use as a prop as opposed to actually playing it... :o Good luck in your search! [/offtopic]

John R