BIAFF 2022

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

Re: BIAFF 2022

Post by Dave Watterson »

John - a point you are possibly already aware of ...
After watching each video in one of these sessions, close the tab.

a) there is a risk YouTube will automatically go on to another video and cause sound problems.
b) your browser will have memory problems dealing with several open tabs at once.

Forgive me if this is old hat to you!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

YOU CAN SEE A SELECTION OF BIAFF ENTRIES ONLINE AT https://www.biaff.org.uk/2022-watch-on-line.html
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Thanks for that list Dave. I see two of the 2* films are using the same picture, and Not My Girl looks wrong.
Also I see that three of the very best films are listed as unavailable. This is such a pity as I'd love to send the links onward, so might this situation change?
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Are you being awkward Tom? Should have come, we missed you.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Awkward? No, not at all, but glad I was missed.

As to BIAFF itself, full marks to the team to make it all happen over Zoom as well as in person. Simon did a grand job. I'd planned to go to the Sunday session but decided Zoom was by far the better option.

So my image and sound quality is as good as YouTube allows. Headphones on, laptop up to full brightness. The best bit is that on Zoom you can actually chat to people and crucially, compliment the filmmakers themselves. There was a bit of clapping from the audience between films, but generally that was it.

I suspect Zoom is just as good - if not better - as being there in person means the audience have covid chances, and don't get to chat about the films they've just seen ~ as we can on Zoom.

But overall I could see that the contestants appreciated the whole BIAFF experience, and that's a good thing. Yes, the weirder films seem to be proliferating, but I suppose that's the youngsters pushing the boundaries.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Tom I cannot, and will never, agree that experiencing BIAFF on Zoom is as good or better as being there with an audience at the live event. I feel isolated watching films via YouTube at home at Zoom events whereas a live audience reacts, laughs, gasps, and provides a communal experience… also the occasional muttering from the back “can you explain to me what that was all about?”
I make films with the ultimate aim of them being shown to live audiences at festivals and competitions. For me BIAFF IS the live weekend.
There’s also the pleasure of meeting and chatting with other filmmakers and enthusiasts at the coffee and meal breaks. In addition I like to see the award winners who turn up for their awards receiving their trophies in person.
I enjoyed the weekend very much despite my continuing disappointment that none of my nine entries (including six 4 star films) was selected to be shown at the live event, the first time I haven’t had a film shown during the BIAFF weekend since 2008. I tell myself that it just wasn’t my year and that I must try harder with this year’s new batch of films! Roll on BIAFF 2023! BIAFF remains the number 1 event on my calendar and provides the main incentive for my filmmaking.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

You raise some very valid points, Howard, and I agree with all you say. Meeting the filmmakers and chatting with them in person is impossible to beat, especially if you're the one that has judged and written up their wonderful film.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thanks for the notes, Tom. I think these faults in the listing are now corrected.

We are totally at the mercy of the film makers as to when or whether they make their work publicly available. All too often the top films are still in competition at other events, some of which make it a condition of entry that they are not publicly available.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Howard-Smith wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:32 pm also the occasional muttering from the back “can you explain to me what that was all about?”
So, let the explanations begin! Tom, you seemd to be writing lts in the chat which we weren't always able to see (no opportunity to scroll back). From what could see it was all very complimentary and encouraging. Well done!
I didn't get to have a conversation beyond a nodding "Hello" to Werner and his accomplices so would someone like to have a stab at explaining "Thirst"? There is no doubt in my mind it is a fantastic looking and sounding film, extremely well acted and edited. It provoked a number of emotional reactions in me, but I couldn't figure a plot or a message as such. Perhaps I'm not meant to.
Still, nice to see the team have progressed from garden gnomes to barbie dolls!
Anyone?
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Tim, I was sitting with you and I suspect that the 'mumblings' emanated from us plus Jill of course. There was more than one film that we needed guidance on, although the production values in all of them were first rate, the themes were obscure to say the least. I think I'll try and make something so obscure that the judges think that it must be clever even though they may not understand it! Better be careful though because that big man Dave understands everything!
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Thirst is just one possible future, isn't it? I liked the way we were drip-fed information about the post-apocalyptic world humans find themselves in. This bleak visualisation is reinforced by the silences, the grey days, the wind, the deserted landscapes, the tattered clothes and sudden outbursts of sex, violence and cannibalism. Kill or be killed is vividly portrayed.

I took the flash inserts of dolls, frogs and memories as building the image of a disconnected and dysfunctional world, but there’s little attempt made to explain away the physical supremacy of men over women, or give reasons as to why and how this dominance by women is maintained. There were times when the film seemed to lapse into pretentiousness, when artistic obscurity was being used to fill in and cover up the gaps between the rough sexual encounters and the final realisation that men can live hand in hand with women, to build a better future for the planet.

It’s a dense, complex story, giving lots for the audience to unravel. What’s clever is that the title refers to both the lack of water and also the lack of love in the survivor’s lives. Do the dolls represent the womens' desire for children? Perhaps they are also some kind of voodoo effigy? Strangely, and disconcertingly, every woman seems to be represented by a doll.

The introductory words were appreciated as I felt that this was important to set the scene for what was to be a somewhat obscure film.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Yes, Tom. That's pretty much all I could make out from it. The only thing I would add was the sex was clearly forced on the men by the women and they didn't seem to be deriving any pleasure from it (the heavy breathing appeared to be because they were putting effort into it rather than enjoying it) and so I assumed it was purely an attempt at procreation. Having said that, it seemed that before sex, the men had their faces trust into the lap of the woman in white (with white eyes) as if performing a sex act that was neither giving pleasure nor designed for procreation. Indeed the woman seemed disinterested almost to the point of being unaware, yet the other women brought the men to her very purposefully.

Yes, I agree the dolls appeared to represent each woman, but there didn't seem to be any correlation between the dolls and the activities understaken by the women.

One problem I have with these sort of futuristic films is very often, as in this casee, the world is populated by twenty and thirtysomethings only. Perhaps that's why the women are so desperate to have children.

Maybe Willy can explain - or get the makers to explain.

This was not the only film which had me wondering whether the maker had created in his mind a story or situation and was only giving bits of it away or whether they had little more than a concept and wanted to run with it. Both are perfectly legitimate - I just like to know if I've failed to grasp something.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Willy

Post by Willy »

I just had a chat with Werner. I will explain everything. But first I would like to see Manchester City (Kevin De Bruyne) playing Real Madrid (team of Courtois). See you later.
Willy Van der Linden
Willy

Post by Willy »

As I told you I had a chat with Werner. He has written some thoughts about his film "Thirst" in Dutch and I have tried to translate them. If I would have had more time I would have made the sentences shorter, but I hope you will be happy with the following things. I am sure there are some mistakes in this text, but I am also sure you won't kill me for this.

Starting point:
We are in a postapocalyptic period in which human values and norms no longer count. Human civilization has given way to an animal society. There is murder, rape, etc...
In this postapocalyptic era there is a major shortage of water. The females (thanks to their talent of organizing everything) have clustered (symbolized by the bunch of puppets) around the pool and also have control over the water that is available.
As a result they also have power over the males. They use this power to obtain sexual services from the males in exchange for water when it suits them.

Content:

Actually I think this is a romantic film. You see that in a postapocalyptic bestial society, in which values and norms as we know them now, are no longer present. 2 animal characters have a kind of human affection for each other and decide to withdraw from that primitive society with the intention of building up a dignified existence on their own elsewhere and to start a family.

Despite the ugliness and roughness of this film the positive message still stands that no matter how much man stray from the current level of civilization he still carries the germ within himself "to crawl out of the valley" again in order to have a beautiful and valuable life again to make.

Suppose that after the complete decline of our current society a New World would ever arise in which a New Bible would be written to explain that New Civilization then this story could be the first story from that Bible. The moment when human feelings resurface and surpass animal instincts.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Fascinating! Thanks, Willy.