How do you "sell" a film festival?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
TimStannard

Re: How do you "sell" a film festival?

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:15 pm When I wrote about "if you can't sell the sausage, sell the sizzle" I really meant that I want to know in this case: what is the "sizzle"? But you are advising on how to make a better "sausage" :D
Because there isn't much sizzle? It's basically aimed at IAC film makers and it suites them (me) very well. But probably not the horrror film enthusiast, or the documentary enthusiast. Sell that sizzle and there's a risk of losing some of the current (diminishing) audience.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

TimStannard wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:12 pm
Dave Watterson wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:15 pm When I wrote about "if you can't sell the sausage, sell the sizzle" I really meant that I want to know in this case: what is the "sizzle"? But you are advising on how to make a better "sausage" :D
Because there isn't much sizzle? It's basically aimed at IAC film makers and it suites them (me) very well. But probably not the horrror film enthusiast, or the documentary enthusiast. Sell that sizzle and there's a risk of losing some of the current (diminishing) audience.
Re Sizzle, I think it means: Fun, To be very popular, exciting, or interesting: "a movie that sizzled at the box office". Something that gives you an Ah-ha moment Pizzazz. And pehaps on a more serious note: emotive
Willy

Post by Willy »

Seperate category for old chaps?
It's clear that most of us prefer a category for students at BIAFF. Actually we already talked about it some years ago. I remember that Ned has always been a supporter of that category. In the Czech Republic there was even a separate competition for the over 55-s. I remember Kromeriz. But, I would not suggest a seperate catergory for old chaps. That would be wrong.

Who remembers that Canadian film?
Yes, you are right, Tim. Filmschool students hope to launch their career by winning diamonds at BIAFF. That's what you mean, don't you? But they can also sparkle in a separate BIAFF youth competition and thus give their name some aura. I do not think it is justified that young people should be promoted in any case by giving them diamonds. That would not be fair. I don't think it ever happened.

I have been a member of the IAC for 22 years. In these two decades I remember filmmakers from different countries and continents on the highest podium: from Mexico, Argentina, Italy, Germany, Belgium, USA, South Korea, Austria. BIAFF is international! But were there any young boys and girls who ever won the Daily Mail Trophy? From Denmark or Germany perhaps? "Dentiphobia" was a great movie But did it win the competition? The film I remember most was one from Canada? That was a "sizzling" film. Do you remember the title? The discussions were heavy at that time. Also on this forum. The most moving documentaries were made by our late friend Bernhard Hausberger. Isn't he the only one who won the trophy twice?

Once I encouraged two young lads of my own club to take their chance at BIAFF. Both conquered the coveted flickering diamond which is actually made of plastic, I think. But is a very valuable piece of plastic. Their names: Samuel Faict and Douglas Boswell. Of course, I am sure they deserved it. They both went to filmschool afterwards. I don't know that happened to Samuel. He disappeared, but I am still in touch with Dougie. In Belgium he became a noted filmmaker. In one of our national newspapers he was called "The Flemish Steven Spielberg"! Some months ago I wrote an article about him for "Film and Video Maker". He is now 43. I hope it will appear in one of the next issues.

The IAC Magazine
By the way, ... "The IAC Magazine", indeed it would be better to call it like that, Tim. Who dares to change the name? Who can take that decision?
Willy Van der Linden
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Willy I have absolutely no complaints about student films winning major trophies at BIAFF (I think last years Best British Entry was won by a student film). My concern is more that students are possibly discouraged from entering because they don't want to compete against "a bunch of old amateurs" and possibly not do very well.That's why I think a student category can benefit the students themselves and can also stop the grumblings from certain quarters that students have an unfair advantage. So everybody would win.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I think the Canadian film Willy has in mind was Nothing Girl (Les Pieds Dans le Vide) by Pierre Daudelin.
Willy

Post by Willy »

I do agree with you, Tim. The trophies are for the best films. There are always grumblings after competitions (also ice dancing, gymnastics, musical performances, etc...) They always bring some life to the brewery (expression in Dutch, maybe also in English). And we must admit... sometimes most of us participate vigorously. Of course it is essential then that we stay within the limits.

Yes, you are right, Dave. "Nothing Girl" by Pierre Daudelin! I loved the discussions.
Willy Van der Linden
ned c

Post by ned c »

Go back to Dave's original point; how to sell the sizzle rather than the sausage. The implication is that all sausages are the same so the promoter has to find some method of differentiation. He could of course use price but price wars end in tears for all concerned including the consumer. So an appeal has to be made to the emotions; e.g. "my sausages are made in the pristine air of the mountains by virgins dressed in flowing white robes." They of course taste exactly the same as everyone else's sausages.

Enough of that; BIAFF is well differentiated from the majority of festivals as it is open to amateur/non-commercial films only. It is not truly an "amateur" festival as this would imply that the film makers would have to be free from any involvement with the film/TV industries; which is clearly not the case as any review of entries will show. So; it is open to films made without commercial intent; monitoring this is a challenge; but it is an important selling point. Films made for the joy of film making; shout this loud and clear and penalize any film that goes on to earn money or has a dodgy provenance. It is also essential that it is clear that no-one involved with the production should be paid or rewarded. All obvious but these are the major points of differentiation along with the written reviews.

I entered two films via Film Freeway which was easy but resulted in my receiving no reviews which I had to ask for plus help from Tom. Film Freeway is the way of the future to a wider audience but the terms of BIAFF must be explained clearly and suspicious entries examined and queried.

UNICA is to me an oddity; part film festival, part symposium, part central for amateur film making. A week long event with a bit of all those in a multi-language setting. Major film making countries are not members; e.g. USA; Australia. What does it offer membership?
ned c