CEMRIAC on Zoom

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
tom hardwick

CEMRIAC on Zoom

Post by tom hardwick »

Yesterday at 7pm I joined in the IAC's Zoom meeting for the CEMRIAC region, where we all had a good chat and saw the results of a 'film made in 2 days' competition. Then all the 37+ attendees used an online voting form and the 3-2-1 was announced.

Good fun, lots of laughter, and imaginative films. Simon Sumner is such a smooth organiser and host, and in fact Zoom meant they probably had twice the number in the audience than they've had in the previous 'get together' years.
Howard-Smith

Re: CEMRIAC on Zoom

Post by Howard-Smith »

Yes, good stuff. I was one of the attendees. Many congratulations to the winners. My particular favourite was Tim Stannard’s atmospheric and superbly made ‘Film Noir’.
The film shows on Zoom have been great to ‘keep the show on the road’ and they can be attended by anyone anywhere but I for one can’t wait to get back to live film shows and festivals. You can’t beat watching films on a big screen with a live audience.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Thank you Howard - I've been trying to take a few lessons from your films!

Yes, it was very enjoyable evening. It's billed as a "challenge" rather than a competition, so we're all winners, but I was very happy to see Jill & John's "Smart Speaker" get the audience vote. Simon Sumner hs got this sort of presentation off to a tee now - and the audiences are getting used to it - I didn't gear a single moan of "I couldn't see that".

Like most of us, I do miss the atmosphere of watching in a room (half) full of people on a large screen, but I also like the flexibility and convenience the online platforms give us. I can only imagine both will continue in one form or another.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

The SoCo regional competition results were shown over Zoom a couple of nights ago, and I was pleased to see so many in the 'audience'. I suspect there were more than double the attendees of a similar live audience presentation, simply because Zoom is so easy to access and you can see the films on any screen size you like.

As one of the two judges of the competition (the other being the most perceptive Tim Stannnard), one of the best bits for me was to chat to the filmmakers themselves after all the films has been shown and all the presentations had been made.

Normally at BIAFF it's impossible to chat to more than two or three of the filmmakers, but here on Zoom everyone gets to hear the filmmaker's joys and pains that go into making the submitted film. Background info is often very enlightening indeed, invariably showing that even 'simple' films hide an enormous amount of complexity.

It will be so interesting to hear the audience reaction to the judges' decisions. The winning film - Lockdown Lullaby - appears to be a 4 minute one take, yet its simplicity hides its complexity and amplifies its excellence.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Missed it darnit! Any chance of being able to access both Lockdown Lullaby and Tim's film, that someone mentions?
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

All the links to to films are in this edition of SoCo News

file:///C:/Users/EOL/Downloads/SoCo%20News%202021%2009%20v2%20(3).pdf
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Michael - my film was a sequel to Cluedunnit which you weren't that keen on last year! It's not in the class of the films in the SoCo comp. But if you insist: https://youtu.be/kBtxOkgblcc
Tim
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

OK, John's inadvertently posted links to a file on his own computer. I'm not sure about the etiquette of posting links to all the entries here as I don't think the entrants have given permission for them to be shared. However, they are published in SoCo news and I'm sure as soon as that becomes available people will be able to see them.
Tim
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

The October 2021 SoCo News is out and about right now Tim.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

tom hardwick wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:40 pm The October 2021 SoCo News is out and about right now Tim.
But only to SoCo members, I think. It's not yet on the IAC Website ( https://www.theiac.org.uk/iac/regions/soco/soco.htm ). So not public.
Tim
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

What about the CEMRIAC competition films - is it possible to see them?