FILM FESTIVAL AWARDS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Howard-Smith

FILM FESTIVAL AWARDS

Post by Howard-Smith »

As I've mentioned previously on the forum, I submit films to various festivals via Film Freeway.
As we know, film judgements and appraisals can never be totally objective, nor is film judging an exact science.
I submitted three films to The Trojan Film Festival which is based in the UK. The results were published today and here are my results.
SEAN (5 star award winner at BIAFF 2021) was rejected. It wasn't even deemed good enough to be an 'Official Selection'.
CONRAD (Diamond award winner at BIAFF 2021) was a quarter-finalist.
OFF THE CLIFF (3 star award winner at BIAFF 2021) was a SEMI-FINALIST!
So there we have it. A 3 star film is deemed to be better than a 5 star film and a Diamond film at the Trojan Film Festival.
More laurels for my posters!!
John Simpson

Re: FILM FESTIVAL AWARDS

Post by John Simpson »

Howard-Smith wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:23 pm As I've mentioned previously on the forum, I submit films to various festivals via Film Freeway.
As we know, film judgements and appraisals can never be totally objective, nor is film judging an exact science.
Well done Howard, I really admire your enthusiasm. Also I get the feeling your self belief is quite strong, I should think it needs to be.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

The main point of my post here is that what does well in one festival might fare very differently in another. I remember Michael Slowe mentioning a while ago that even some Diamond Award winning films at BIAFF get rejections when entered for other festivals. I just find it remarkable that a 3 star film is rated more highly at The Trojan Film Festival than a 5 star and Diamond.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Don't be surprised Howard, as I've told you before, everyone sees art (film making is art) in different lights. There are films sometimes which gain unanimous approval but it is rare. That is why film makers, including you and I, should not take 'competition' results and grading too seriously. I've had the whole gamut now from BIAFF, ranging from One Star (yes, last year) right up to and including Diamonds and I honestly don't see a huge difference in the standard of work between them all! In fact, only this week I've been informed through FilmFreeway, that my latest film has just had an 'Official Selection' from an international festival. I have my own assessment of the likely BIAFF grade in 2021 which I will keep very much to myself.

If I may humbly suggest, take it all with a 'pinch of salt' and don't let's get our knickers in a twist!