BIAFF 2021 RESULTS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

BIAFF 2021 RESULTS

Post by Dave Watterson »

After all the waiting ... who wants to share their results?
TimStannard

Re: BIAFF 2021 RESULTS

Post by TimStannard »

Still waiting here! But I know one person's results :wink:
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Willy

Post by Willy »

Still waiting here in the EU, but I already have some handkerchiefs with me just in case I have a bad result.
Me too, I know one person who knows his results. He is over the Moon. He is in Heaven. He deserves it. I fear I will have to go to Hell. I deserve it because of my bad behaviour.
Willy Van der Linden
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

I received my email last night and was truly amazed when I saw my results. Not only have I received my fourth 5 star award, for SEAN, but I have at long last achieved my dream, an IAC DIAMOND for my film CONRAD. I really am over the moon about this. I started making films in 1970 and for years I kept trying to make a film good enough for a Movie Maker Ten Best Award, but I never got beyond a Gold Star. Then in recent years I returned to filmmaking from 2005 and entered BIAFF from 2008, winning a 3 star award for CASHFLOW. From then on, my ambition was to win a Diamond Award. And now that it’s happened I can hardly believe it. I’m indebted to all the judges involved in this decision... and of course to the wonderful actors in the film, ie. Simon Hawkins, Alex Bullock, Jacqui Ure and Ruth Cattell.
My win is tinged with the deep sadness of the star of CONRAD Simon Hawkins no longer being around to share the glory, having ended his own life in January.
Last edited by Howard-Smith on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

That is fantastic Howard, the film Conrad certainly warrents a 5 star and now a Diamond also. You were blessed wth those actors but how sad to hear about Simon Hawkins. He was troubled in real life as well as in the film, what a loss. I expect you had the most number of films in this time! Good luck with everything you are doing in the coming year - John
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Many thanks for your comments John.
Last edited by Howard-Smith on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Evans

Post by Martin Evans »

No results here yet. But then Ceredigion is a long way from everywhere.
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Yes, Martin. I expect emails take a long time to get there.
One of our members wrote to David Newman and he said he is running a bit late but she'd get her results later today...
Michael Gough

Post by Michael Gough »

Having just opened Wednesday morning's post I can now announce that Howard-Smith has also won the World Record for claiming his Master Movie Making Fellowship. It makes you think he was eagerly awaiting it! CONGRATULATIONS from Michael Gough, IAC Fellowship Officer.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Thank you Michael! Achieving a FACI(M) means a lot to me so I didn’t want to hang about.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Let’s hear some more results!
Last edited by Howard-Smith on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

Sorry I had no films in this time, but my brain is still active! I see Michael Gough is a FACI (M) also. What does FACI (M) mean? And is there any record of how people achieved their FACI. Does anybody know how our departed Chairman Anne Vincent (Weymouth) achieved her FACI, was it a film she made?
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

John, you can read all about Fellowships and other honours on the IAC website:
https://www.theiac.org.uk/iac/fellowshi ... dmaci.html
FACI(M) is the Master Movie Maker Fellowship of the IAC. It’s very difficult to achieve. You have to accumulate “5 points” which has to include an IAC Diamond Award or a UNICA Gold Medal (either of which is worth 2 points) and other points can be from 5 star awards (worth 1 point each). FACI(M) is I believe the highest honour available to IAC members, showing solid achievement in filmmaking.
FACI is Fellowship of the IAC, and this can be awarded to people who have made a substantial contribution to the IAC in some capacity, not necessarily related to achievements in filmmaking.
I hope I’ve got all that right.
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

Thanks Howard, someone has to ask the idiot question! I see you will only be the 10th person to achieve the FACI(M). Also I see that our former chairperson was awarded the FACI Fellowship. I found a link to a list of qualifyers at the top of the page you quoted.
I was in Dorchester Camera Club for 3 years and there was a similar award scheme for them, and a lot of the members had worked very hard and achieved high national awards.
I have a big self employment project which I need to clear up. It will take at least a year and then I will decide what to do with the rest of my life, it may include amateur film making I don't know.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

I hadn't actually noticed that link to who has achieved the honours until you pointed it out, John. Wow, just 10 of us with a FACI(M). What an exclusive club.
Last edited by Howard-Smith on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.