BIAFF 2021 RESULTS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

Re: BIAFF 2021 RESULTS

Post by Dave Watterson »

Just to reassure people who have been asking ...

There will be a small change in BIAFF timetables on Saturday afternoon.

The BIAFF festival online screenings will take a long break on Saturday afternoon to allow those who wish to do so, to observe the one-minute silence at 3pm and to watch the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Howard-Smith wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:42 am Tim says: “Good point made by Howard about the number of diamonds being fixed.” I wasn’t actually making any point about the fixed number of Diamonds. I totally approve of giving Diamond Awards to the “top 8 films of the whole festival” regardless of how many entries there are.
I didn't think you were suggesting a change in number of Diamonds, I thought you were just ressuring John that the proortions hadn't changed dramatically from the previous year. I then backed up the point you weren't making with percentages! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Howard-Smith wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:42 am This is an opportunity for people either to agree with what I say or to argue the case that we’ve just about got it right with the 10% figure and that it should remain roughly the same in future years.
At least two films that panels I was involved in put forward as majority five stars were put back down to four by the final round judges and these surprised me, but I don't think it's wrong. It is right and fitting that the "better" films are examined by a larger panel (6 vs 3) and what would be the point in that if the final round panel don't have the ability to re-grade a majority 5 star from the first round?

I seem to recall on both occasions when I've been awarded 5 stars something like 15% of the films were 5*/Diamond, but this doesn't necessarily mean judges are more stingey. It may mean the standard is lower. Judges aren't awarding marks based on filling some sort of quota. Each star rating is arrived at based on its own merits.

However I'd much rather be among the top 10% films (and Howard has two this year) than the top 15%.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

You make some good points Tim.
I suppose I was thinking of certain highly talented filmmakers who deserve to hit the heights but are never awarded more than 4 stars.
Take for instance the late John Astin who was a really excellent and prolific documentary filmmaker. He never won a BIAFF Award above 4 stars and I believe that this was a source of frustration for him. In my opinion his film which was shown as a tribute to him at the end of the recent online IAC event on 21st March was surely worthy of 5 stars. It was a 4 star winner at BIAFF 2009.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

It was thought-provoking that in one of Saturday's BIAFF sessions, when a 4 star drama (which I won't name) was shown, someone's response to the film in the chat was, 'It was vile'.
The point is worth making that we as judges are appraising each film as objectively as possible on its merits as a piece of work, without bringing into the equation whether or not we like the subject matter. Let's give an example. I for one absolutely detest bullfighting, but if I were judging a film on the subject that was superbly photographed, well edited, with a great soundtrack, was well structured and held the attention throughout, in other words brilliantly made in every respect, I would rate it and comment on it accordingly without letting my distaste for the content cloud the issue.
The same applies with the 4 star film I refer to above, a black comedy thriller which was uncomfortable to watch at times due to constant threats of violence within the story, but a 4 star rating was absolutely right based on the BIAFF judging criteria. (I wasn't involved with judging it, by the way.)
Incidentally, following the showing of my selfie thriller 'Sean', a comment was made in the chat, the gist of which was that Sean fully deserved his demise. I couldn't agree more. I was playing a despicable character with no redeeming features whatsoever. I think villains tend to be more interesting characters to play!