Re-think the IAC?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

Re-think the IAC?

Post by Dave Watterson »

The topic "UNICA 2021" started to slip - naturally perhaps - into discussion about the IAC's future.

Thanks - for a suggestion that it might be helpful to separate the two to make it easy for newcomers to see what they want to.

I started this thread with Ned Cordery's reaction to the "UNICA 2021" topic.

Dave
ned c

Re: UNICA 2021

Post by ned c »

I read Dave Watterson's letter with a sad heart. Allowing for the world situation a commitment is needed to ensure the survival of UNICA as a world organization and although I am 5,000 miles away I sense that an effort must be made to help the movements supporting amateur film making in those countries where they still exist. Amateur film making has moved far from the original concept of the founders of organization like the IAC and if central organizations are to survive they must adapt to a new world. I see part of the role of UNICA is to strengthen and help rethink who they are serving and how to serve them. To me a sure sign of the direction this is all going is the separation of BIAFF from the IAC; a preparation for the demise of the IAC? The central organizations in three major amateur film making countries have disintegrated; Canada; Australia and the USA; all with strong UK connections.

This is about much more than the cancellation of UNICA 2020; it raises questions about what to do if there is to be a future; what does a young film maker with limited resources get for IAC membership?

This is time for serious debate.

Ned Cordery
Michael Slowe

Re: UNICA 2021

Post by Michael Slowe »

Ned, well said but similar thoughts have been expressed by thoughtful people for two or three years now. It is a problem. Young people are making more films now than were ever made at any time since the 1930s. Older people like you and I are also wondering why we continue making the considerable effort in making films, when we wonder what our outlet will be. I don't pretend to have any ideas on how to proceed, maybe we should ask some of the small groups of film makers meeting in pubs and universities what they might suggest. An IAC that could make them feel welcomed and comfortable would be great, but how?