BIAFF Bookings

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
TimStannard

BIAFF Bookings

Post by TimStannard »

I always leave booking BIAFF late as I don't know about work/family commitments in advance. So this year, once I'd decided to go, I checked the hotel had rooms available then booked. John Gibbs emailed me back to say the IAC's allocation of rooms had been filled. No problem, I could still book the accommodation on line and BIAFF tickets via John for the same price - which I have done.

However, if anyone else is in the same position and has yet to book accommodation, if you contact me first I can send you a link to bookings.com which will give you a 10% discount and me a £20 rebate. Be warned that bookings.com do tend to pester you with offers for a hotel that you've previously booked - but this is easily solved with an "unsubscribe". Other than that-there's no downside.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Willy

Re: BIAFF Bookings

Post by Willy »

Yes, Tim, you are right about Booking.com. I had big problems on my journey to Scotland in 2017. I booked two rooms at a hotel in Dunoon. I wanted to attend the Highland Gathering. I hoped I could film it. Unfortunately when we arrived at the hotel there was a double booking! Apparently, booking.com had tried to call us while we were already in Scotland. That's what they told me after the journey. But I could not find any sign of a phone call from Booking.com in my telephone 'machine' at home. Neither in my mobile Phone. In Dunoon I rushed to the office of the local tourist board. Luckily they could find a hotel for us at Ayr which is about 50 to 60 miles south of Dunoon and we had to cross the Firth of Clyde by car ferry that evening. We felt desperate and tired. Of course we were very disappointed. The Highland Games at Dunoon had to be one of the highlights of our journey. We tried to claim some money from Booking.com, but it was in vain. I wrote messages to Booking.com and my friend, who had accompanied us, called them several times. Each time a different clerk replied and they took us for a ride… Each time he or she asked the reference number. Our booking form said "safe booking". You only have to pay on arrival. However, it was clear that they had cheated us. We wonder if they had not given the rooms to the organisers of the Highland Gathering. It's a mass event. This year we will go back to Scotland and I hope I will be able to film the Highland Games at Strathpeffer. Booking.com has a monopoly position. They are not honest and they tend to pester you.
Willy Van der Linden
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

That sounds horrific, Willy and such a shame you missed the Games. And now you've got me worried about my own booking!
Tim
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Never book hotels through an agent, I always make a point of contacting the hotel direct. Of course, if you know and regularly use an agent, that is a different matter.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Yes, that's what I always try, Michael. But you do not always find the telephone numbers of hotel(s) on the internet. This year I also had to book some rooms for my Scottish journey via Booking.Com to find accommodation. Luckily this time I received papers from them with the telephone numbers of the hotels, but after having booked the rooms. I booked some rooms by calling the hotels or B&B's. But I also had to book other rooms via Booking.com or Expediae.

Two years ago the owner of my favourite B&B in Kent asked me to pay £75 for a double room per night. She told me that if I had done it via Booking.com I had to pay about £95! That's quite a difference it, isn't it? I am not surprised that Booking.Com has its headquarters in one of the most prestigious streets along one of the Amsterdam canals. Last year I made a boat trip together with my English friends Brian and Cynthia on the Amsterdam canals. The guide said something like: "And now on your left you can see the offices of some world famous firms. He added: You must be very rich to buy such an old house here. We passed the hearquarters of Booking.Com. I felt furious!
Anyway, maybe you can find the telephone number of your hotel at Birmingham on your booking form or contact, Tim. I would call them now to confirm that you will be there.

By the way today I my clubmate Werner Haegeman called me. He won a diamond award with his movie "The Swimming Pool" and also a special award. For his film "Emergency" he won a "Five stars Certificate". I subtitled both films, but the help of my new Anglo-Belgian neighbour Christiane who lived in England and Wales for almost 35 years and she studied at the university to become an interpreter. She is very kind and helpful. For many years I was helped by a very kind British friend. Werner and his wife will attend BIAFF. A friend will accompany them.
Willy Van der Linden
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Okay, Okay. Make me feel stupid, why don't you? :lol: :lol:
To be honest it appears I could have saved £3 by booking direct so i'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

PS Congratulations to your friend Werner!
Tim