BIAFF 2018 RESULTS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
John Roberts

Re: BIAFF 2018 RESULTS

Post by John Roberts »

I'll go with the flow Michael, but lunchtime might be more relaxed :D
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

John, you are right (you are after all part of the "Establishment" now). Everyone, lets make it before lunch on Saturday, after the last of the morning's shows. Can we just indicate that we have all seen the message? I'm in the chair, initially anyway!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Should be fine ... Jan and I are trying to shoot quick interviews with winners during the breaks but by that time not too many will have arrived. (Forum friends excepted!!!!)

Look forward to sleeping through the afternoon ...
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

I should be ok for that, Michael, thank you. Straight after the last of the Saturday morning shows then. Cheers!
Howard
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I'll hopefully be there. Driving up from Surrey on Saturday am after our club's public show on Friday, hoping to make the 2nd session.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

I'll be there! Looking forward to it! Thanks, Michael.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Should be ok for me but as I'm on projection duties I might not be able to stay for long
Brian Saberton
Alistair Biggar

Post by Alistair Biggar »

You've plenty years left in you Howard. I got a 3 star and a 4 star and I am quite happy. I did work on a Diamond, but only as the sound recordist. Look forward to seeing (hearing) it on Sunday "Mia Rapture2". Anyway I look forward to Saturday, and of course Sunday
Alistair Biggar

Post by Alistair Biggar »

TimStannard wrote:Just to continue the love-in, five stars and a Sunday screening here as well (and The Focus Prize) for "Miracle on the Mantlepiece" :D

Lesson learned though - never assume everyone is familiar with Hans Christian Andersen tales as at least one of the judges clearly wasn't (or didn't make the connection)

Still got 5 Stars though
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Alistair Biggar wrote:Still got 5 Stars though
And I'm very happy with that. :D
My point, though inexpertly made, is that BIAFF gives one feedback and I learned a useful lesson. Very few festivals do so and I hope, that in my own small way, I put something back by trying to provide encouraging, constructive criticism whenever I'm asked to judge.
Tim
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Thank you very much Michael Slowe for the Prosecco on Saturday lunchtime. Much appreciated. And it was good to see so many forum users present.
fraught

Post by fraught »

Hope you all had a good time, I was gutted I couldn't make it. Fingers crossed for next year though!!
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Howard-Smith wrote:Thank you very much Michael Slowe for the Prosecco on Saturday lunchtime. Much appreciated. And it was good to see so many forum users present.
Hear, hear!
Tim
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

+1 for all the sentiments :D

Next year I will buy the Prosecco because I neglected to buy the extra bottle as promised! Tim beat me to it :lol:
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

fraught wrote:Hope you all had a good time, I was gutted I couldn't make it. Fingers crossed for next year though!!
I certainly had a fantastic time. And my would have been ever so slightly better if you had been able to make it :lol:

This was only my fifth BIAFF yet already I feel like part of the furniture as I'm convinced I was on first name terms (memory lapses aside) with at least half of those present and on nodding terms with a good proportion of the remainder.

This year felt, to me anyway, like it had a bit more of a buzz about it - and this wasn't all down to anticipation of changes Council is planning for next year.

Like several others I spoke to, I thought the four star category this year seemed to apply to films of a rather wide range of quality - from "really rather poor" through to "why the **** did that not get a diamond?", and this certainly made for a varied day's entertainment, bith in terms of viewing and discussion, on the Saturday.

But no such controversy on the Sunday. This was a truly superb selection of top amateur films. What a shame numbers were down (again) this year as this was such a good advertisement for the people who have the ability to tell a good story in a compelling and imaginative manner. I raised an eyebrow at a few films and had a few questions about others, but even if the story/journey/message wasn't 100% clear to me in one or two cases, it was evident that the message had hit a nerve with others - and just about everything showed technical excellence.

Inevitably there was one film I really didn't like, but those around me loved - but that's just differences of opinion and provokes healthy discussion (I had the same last year).

The myBIAFF idea was innovative, although I didn't join in (I have difficulty holding a camera steady when it's on a tripod so a hand held phone is out of the question for me) and I suspect, for once, even the most prolific film makers were there to watch and discuss rather than to film, and I shall be very interested to see what this brings forth.

If my own interview with Jan is anything to go by, we should be looking forward to a boxed set or two of films from BIAFF!

It will also be fascinating to see what Kate manages to produce from the hours of footage she must have shot in 3D.

So far I haven't heard anyone disagree with the judges' decision on the outright winner. I loved it and it might well have been my choice too (although there were several others I'd have been equally happy with)

As for my personal favourite from an enjoyment point of view - Jack Bennett's animation "Not the End of the World". Wonderful stuff.

Thanks to all of you who put up with my company this weekend. It was a real pleasure to be there.
Tim