BIAFF 2017 Results

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Brian Saberton

Re: BIAFF 2017 Results

Post by Brian Saberton »

I couldn't agree more with Michael, Dave and Jill and having been round the proverbial competition block, both in film and photographic competitions, many times over the years I long ago developed the hide of a Rhinoceros when it comes to judges comments or markings. My philosophy with competitions has always been to try and learn, improve and progress and it's the progression bit that seems to be the problem at the moment.
Brian Saberton
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

THE FULL LIST OF RESULTS SHOULD GO LIVE ON THE BIAFF WEBSITE LATER TODAY http://www.biaff.org.uk.
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

We have now received the results from our two films from 2016. Like others on the forum, we had guessed at our what the star awards would be and I had thought each would be in the region of a 3 star and 4 star or possibly higher. But as others have found on the forum, we also had the results the wrong way round from what was expected.
Our comedy film, "Lost and Found" (as written about in FVM) planned as a simple bit of fun to get us back into fiction film making, picked up a welcome 4 stars. The film did end up better than we had thought when it was finally edited. Our critique was written by Tom Hardwick in a very interesting and constructive way with some good comments and a couple of "judges niggles" which is expected and fair. The film will be screened at the festival.

Our other film, I would describe as a science fiction/ romance, which I think is better, more ambitious and more satisfactory, picked up only 3 stars and will not be shown.
Beyond the disappointment of this level of star award, the comments on the critique (written by ? unknown) are some of our worst ever and most bizarre. Clearly the juding panel neither liked nor undertood the plot and are obviously no fans of sci-fi.

The question is asked: "Is David (our hero) a ghost?" (How this idea was arrived at I cannot hope to guess.) "Do ghosts wash their faces?" (I don`t know anon reviewer as it`s not a ghost story.)
But of course, as many will say here, it`s down to a judges` opinion. But it`s when things are blatantly incorrect or just wrong that it annoys the most.
"If Laura (our female lead) carved (her) initials on the tree before it fell, they would have been upside down and higher up." ?????? The initials ARE where they should be and the right way up as they would be unless Laura carved tham as a chimpanzee.

And then the oddest comment of all: (At the opening) "David arrives and starts talking STRAIGHT AWAY leaving no time to establish characters."
I have thought long and hard about this trying to figure it out. Should I have had David wear a cardboard sign on a string around his neck at the start as they often did in "Monty Python`s Flying Circus" or on Spike Milligan`s programmes? "David: a research scientist from the future." Perhaps I should have.
As a post script, our 8 year old grandson watched the film and understood it very well and I think so did our beloved Dave W. who judged it to be worthy of second place in the Burnley film competition. Observations and interesting comments and questions were also supplied by Dave.

It`s all opinions of course, but at least let`s have judges who get their facts right and don`t waste everyone`s time and efforts.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

8:40pm and the BIAFF Results are now online at http://www.biaff.org.uk/.

See how all your friends and rivals did!

In a day or two the timetable for film screenings at BIAFF will also go online.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Dear Ken, don't try and rationalise people's (or judges) comments on your films, I've learnt that over the last forty years or so of film making. I was the person you were referring to who forecast his own judgements the opposite way that they turned out. In fact, one of our respected forum correspondents, has just posted a message on my Vimeo site opining that a film he has just watched is, in his opinion, the best that I've made. Guess what? That's the one awarded Three Stars and not being shown at BIAFF! The Four Star one is not popular and in my humble opinion is nearer Two or possibly Three standard. "You pays yer money and take a chance"
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

Yes Michael, I know. We have discussed film judging on this forum and within the pages of FVM many times over the years. I know also that I have stirred things up sometimes and perhaps my article in FVM some time ago helped promote the idea of the second DVD to be sent with a competition entry to help the judges when writing notes. This is what I have done many times when judging, as I am doing now for various clubs. A quick replay helps check details so you don`t say the wrong thing when writing a critique!

But as you have said Michael, it also depends when your film is screened at the judging, which can alter it`s results. We know as a viewer that earlier in the day, the judge is fresh and perhaps more accepting of a longer film. After 5 or 6 hours of it, it`s less likely your documentary will be viewed as kindly no matter how good it is. So is this fair? I don`t know how the sessions are planned out.

The BIAFF shows with their hard hotel chairs and consequent fidgetting means many prefer lots of very short movies so you can switch positions. At least the comfy raked seating for Burnley helps in this respect.
So yes, we like what we like and watch what we want to watch on TV, DVD or at the cinema and judges are no different but at least let`s get our facts right.
Oh and the comment that our actress has a broken finger nail in the close up was noted. She told me she always has broken nails! But how that affects the plot and the finished film is a puzzle.