UNICA 2016

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
TimStannard

UNICA 2016

Post by TimStannard »

Congratulations to Bob Lorrimer for his Bronze Unica Medal for "Blue" and to John Roberts for a Diploma of Honour and First Prize City of Suceava (animation?) for "The Girl on the Train". Both very well deserved among what looks like some very high class competition. Sorry my own contribution didn't assist GBR's cause, but I hope it provided some light entertainment, anyway.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Re: UNICA 2016

Post by Dave Watterson »

GREECE IS THE WORD was very much enjoyed by the audience, Tim. Feet were tapping all around us ... and this is the only audience I have known which picked up on the jokes in the credits like:
"PYTHAGORAS for geometry leading eventually to the development of 2D and 3D graphics engines used in the production of this video."
The jury this year was very hard ... take a look at some of the other films which did not get awards like BYSSAN LULL and CLIC-CLAC.

You can see lots of the films at http://www.unica-news.com/

From the moment Brian Dunckley's introductory film started there was real anticipation as everyone looked our for the "typical British humour". And we have it to them with your film, BLUE, TURNING TABLES and MR SNUGGLES.
TimStannard

Re: UNICA 2016

Post by TimStannard »

Glad to hear GREECE IS THE WORD went down well, though I cannot take any credit for the foot-tapping, that goes to the songwriters. Glad the credits to ancient Greeks (not really jokes) were noticed. I run them too quickly to read (in the hope that people will spot one or two then rewind - a bit like the page of text that Chuck Lorre includes for only a couple of frames at the end of each episode of "The Big Bang Theory")

Anyway, I'm working my way through the links to all the films from UNICA that you have so generously posted. As with all these festivals I'm bemused by some of the decisions and I really wish we had some way of reading the judges' comments so we could understand their reasoning and see what we had missed in the films.

This is not the right forum, but I would love a forum dedicated to discussion of the merits or otherwise of films in festivals. I learn SO much from discussing films with others.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it