BIAFF 2016 - WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR RESULTS?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
TimStannard

Re: BIAFF 2016 - WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR RESULTS?

Post by TimStannard »

Bob Lorrimer wrote:Well....poor 'BLUE' has hit the glass ceiling of the 4 star category and will rise no more!
I thought it was a return to form, Bob. Writer's Block was a move away from the pieces to camera you and your ladyfriends had been treating us to for the previous couple of years towards some of the more cinematic pieces of old, but in my opinion "Blue" surpassed it by a country mile in terms of storyline, characterisation and acting, quite apart from being to your usual very high technical standard. Agree with John it appeared to have Diamond written all over it.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Mark Anthony Games

Post by Mark Anthony Games »

Could people write the name of the films they are talking about, would help :-) Tim Stannard, what film are you discussing? Also gives me the chance to prepare for any vengeance attacks ;-)
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Mark, this recent discussion has been about Bob Lorrimer's film BLUE, which is available on VIMEO. I have reason to believe that it was a unanimous decision by the judges to give it four stars, so you as a finals judge won't have seen it, so you're off the hook! Neither did you see my film AVOIDANCE which was only given 3 stars even though, as previously mentioned, I was expecting much higher. With regard to this film, the judges unfortunately had several misapprehensions and misunderstandings about the story, including thinking that a colour sequence towards the end was in BLACK & WHITE and therefore assuming it was another flashback sequence, which it wasn't! But I don't want to criticise judges - they are only human and mistakes can be made. I was one of the first-round judges and I know that all the judges do their best within the time constraints. Seven minutes isn't long for discussion and decision for each film.
Howard-Smith
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Mark Anthony Games wrote:Could people write the name of the films they are talking about, would help :-) Tim Stannard, what film are you discussing? Also gives me the chance to prepare for any vengeance attacks ;-)
Howard has already answered the question, but I, for one, do not expect judges necessarily to defend their decisions. Certainly not on public forum (unless speaking only in very general terms). It is also unreasonable for a maker who has lived with the film for months to expect a judge to remember every detail and why the panel picked up a particular point when they saw it only once, discussed it for seven minutes and that among dozens of other films over an intense weekend!
Tim
Mark Anthony Games

Tim Stannard did you not say you had a five star film??
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Mark,
Tim made that great children's musical GREECE IS THE WORD which you saw as it was a 5-star film. I was in on the first-round judging for this, and I loved it. So will the Sunday audience.
Howard-Smith
Last edited by Howard-Smith on Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I got exactly what I predicted to myself, Four Stars for "A Thump in The Eye", although the judges kindly suggested that, had it been tighter and shorter it might have been a Five Star. I can always predict exactly, having attended BIAFF (before that LIAFF) since 1973, I think I can judge film standards pretty accurately. In this case I broke one of my golden rules by not leaving the final edit for a few weeks and then reviewing it. I recently saw the film projected to an audience and cringed at seeing the cuts that I should have made in my sleep, verbosity and repetition has always been my problem, ever since speech sync became easy with digital shooting.

Bob, you and I, as two old four star men, will have plenty to discuss (and moan about) at dinner on the Saturday night at BIAFF.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Howard-Smith wrote:Tim made that great children's musical GREECE IS THE WORD which you saw as it was a 5-star film.
Indeed, Mark, you were among the judges that pointed out that most basic and unforgivable of errors - a typo (if this case a repeated word) in the credits. I hang my head in total shame and embarrassment, and, assuming I make Harrogate, will have to leave the auditorium before it is screened.
On the other hand, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it here as it's been screened at one festival and at two "talks" I've given as well as at my own club and had 600+ views on YouTube and no-one else has mentioned it (or, more likely they simply don't read the credits)
Tim
Mark Anthony Games

Tim I loved Greece is the Word.... what was the typo though?... I do not remember this.
I love the work you do with young actors, it is something close to my heart. We all need to shoulder the responsibility to provide opportunity and support to the next generation. Well done Tim!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Mark Anthony Games wrote:Tim I loved Greece is the Word.... what was the typo though?... I do not remember this.
It must have been picked up after the event by Mike Whyman who wrote up the notes. I suspect he took away a copy and played it back slowly. You'll spot it if you look after the credit to Pythagoras (yes - I credited lots of Ancient Greeks for their contributions to arts and science that led to making filming musical comedies possible). But blink and you'd miss it. I roll those credits deliberately fast in the hope that it will lead people to watch a second time to see what they'd missed. A cynical technique maybe, but it worked for the judges of the NTRIAC festival last year who said in their comments they watched it in silence, then immediately watched it again.

As for the kids, its great to work with them. As they get older I hope to move them into more serious drama, but I want to try to avoid the "message" films about bullying, drugs and the dangers of the internet or other "worthy" subjects. Too many kids films tread those routes. I like the stuff Wales High School come up with and I particularly liked one a couple of years back about a lad too embarrassed to wear his glasses in front of the girl he fancies.
Tim
fraught

Post by fraught »

TimStannard wrote:As for the kids, its great to work with them. As they get older I hope to move them into more serious drama, but I want to try to avoid the "message" films about bullying, drugs and the dangers of the internet or other "worthy" subjects. Too many kids films tread those routes. I like the stuff Wales High School come up with and I particularly liked one a couple of years back about a lad too embarrassed to wear his glasses in front of the girl he fancies.
Totally agree Tim! I know kids needs to learn about social issues, and film making is one tool to help teach them these important life lessons. But... film making is also about having fun and showing people the not so serious side to life. :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I didn't have a new film of my own to enter in BIAFF but we did put in a short comedy from XDL Films. Sadly it only received two stars which is disappointing and isn't being shown at the festival. Ah well, at least audiences seem to like it and we are determined to produce something much better for next year.
Brian Saberton
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

The results are coming online soon ... we aim to present them on the main IAC website Thursday 24th evening ... then we can see how all our other friends have done!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

The results are up !

http://www.theiac.org.uk/eventsnew/biaf ... wards.html

Take a look and see how you and your friends / rivals did !
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Well done, Dave! A superb effort as usual.
I see no rivals here! I thought we were a mutual support group.
Tim