BIAFF 2016 - WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR RESULTS?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Howard-Smith

BIAFF 2016 - WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR RESULTS?

Post by Howard-Smith »

Well I'll kick this off with my own results. I submitted 5 films, more than ever before!
I've had mixed fortunes.

For my rather feeble comedy MARRIAGE VOWS I was awarded 2 stars which was all it was worth.

PAY AS YOU GO, a 10-minute suspense film, got 3 stars while CARA, a gentle 20-minute drama achieved 4 stars - I'm satisfied with these awards because they were more or less what I was expecting. These two films will be shown on the Saturday.

WHERE THE GUILT LIES - I'm over the moon to have been awarded 5 stars for this rather lengthy thriller (27 minutes) and it'll be shown on the Sunday. For the first time ever, I've been awarded a higher star rating than I'd anticipated! I was expecting 4 stars.

Finally, my major disappointment. I submitted a 13-minute drama entitled AVOIDANCE, mainly in the Russian language with English subtitles, and I'd thought it was my best film ever. I'd even hoped for a Diamond for this one! I blinked in disbelief as I saw the award... 3 stars. Well there you go. Ouch!

Anyway I'm chuffed about three of my films being shown at BIAFF and will be at the event as always for the whole weekend.

Howard-Smith
Last edited by Howard-Smith on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cathy Poole

Re: BIAFF 2016 - WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR RESULTS?

Post by Cathy Poole »

Congratulations.

That's amazing news, well done.

Considering I haven't had my results yet.

How on earth do you already know that three of your films are being screened at BIAFF?
fraught

Post by fraught »

Well Done Howard!

I didn't enter anything this year, so i can relax! Although, having been one of the judges this year, i'm always interested to hear what people think of the judges comments.
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Wow! You must have had a real emotional rollercoaster of a ride when you read through those results, Howard. It is very difficult when the film we think is our best receives less than we expect. you have my sympathy. But Hey! It'll probably sweep the board elsewhere. Great news on the five star though!

I'm awaiting mine for my one film. Expecting four as it is the third of a similar style to those that received four starts in the past two years. Superior (in my mind) to the previous efforts but not quite world class which is what five stars requires.

Of course I'll be gutted if the style simply doesn't appeal to the judges and I receive three or even two stars!

Why is Stannard so much further down the list than Smith??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Thanks chaps. To Cathy... When David Newman emails the results he informs you at the same time whIch of your films (if any) will be shown at BIAFF. David has an enormous number of emails to send out so it probably takes him a few days.
Good luck with your own results.
And Tim... I was a first-round judge again at BIAFF this year and I may or may not have seen your film. I couldn't possibly comment...
Howard-Smith
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Five Stars !!!! (As Howard already knows). I'm over the moon as is my wife and co=producer. Whilst both sets of judges were full of praise, the 2nd round judges spotted a couple of things I'd missed - how stupid of me - but THAT is the big value of entering this festival.
Tim
fraught

Post by fraught »

Well done Tim! Glad you are being rewarded for your efforts! :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Yes Tim, very well deserved. A great film with a great concept. Loved it. Congratulations.
Howard-Smith
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Congratulations to Howard and Tim on their 'Five Star Fest' :D I'm looking forward to seeing the films over the weekend and at the winner's show. No doubt there will be more top ranked films revealed over the next few days.

Mine won't be amongst them however, and I can't help feeling a little disappointed (if one can ever be) with two 4-star results. I'm always more than happy to receive feedback on any aspects of my films from any point of view, but I appear to be plagued once again with one or more judges who admit to not relating at all to a particular film genre, and as last year I have to query why a judge or judges who openly admit they cannot understand a genre then feel compelled to continue judging it.

However, the weekend beckons, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about everyone else's results. Good luck to everybody and I hope to see you all at BIAFF :D

John
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Thanks John.
Are neither of your films being shown, or do you mean yours won't be at the winners' show? I've been fortunate twice to have films shown on Sunday, but those were both "only" four stars. I was under no illusion than this was anything other than providing the "light entertainment" among otherwise stark and dark, yet artistically and cinematographically (?), brilliant five star and diamond award winning films. David Newman does do an excellent job creating a balanced programme given that most of it is pre-ordained by the trophy winners.
John Roberts wrote:I appear to be plagued once again with one or more judges who admit to not relating at all to a particular film genre, and as last year I have to query why a judge or judges who openly admit they cannot understand a genre then feel compelled to continue judging it.
To be fair, I don't think they feel compelled so much as they ARE compelled. My understanding, from Jill Lampert's article in FVM, from comments here and from discussing with several judges in person, is that the judging weekend is a tough job and with a mere 7 minutes between each film for discussion, comment and decision. It needs to be like this to fit everything in. Allowing judges to decide to comment/judge on a particular film would necessarily require the film to be re-scheduled for judging, something which would throw everything out of kilter.

Maybe we could adapt to this, but then this beggars the question where do we draw the line? Last night I was a a regional competition which had three judges yet there was only time for one judge to comment on each film. Clearly there were films that the nominated judge would rather have not had to comment upon yet another might have been quite happy to. Letting judges "bail out" could result in no-one ever making a negative comment.

I'm not defending anything and your grievance (possibly too strong a word) is entirely valid - especially if one is submitting films primarily for the content - I'm just making an observation.
Tim
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply :D

You are right of course, it's extremely difficult to make a judging system that 'encompasses all' especially when some films might not fit into neat little boxes. I was just airing my personal observation, based on what I perceive from the (puzzlingly, otherwise praiseworthy) critiques; I certainly didn't intend it to be a grievance and I'm not sure what any solution would be if it were so. Howard did ask "What do you think of your results?" :wink:

I have one film being shown in one of the Saturday cinema's, and I am also lucky to have the second one shown as part of the Sunday screenings. I'm not sure I would class that one as 'light entertainment' though :lol:

John
Bob Lorrimer

Post by Bob Lorrimer »

Well....poor 'BLUE' has hit the glass ceiling of the 4 star category and will rise no more!

It is always deflating to take a knock back....after the triumph of WRITER's BLOCK last year. The film is to be shown on the Sunday which is important to me as it is good to see or appraise an audience reaction.

For those that cannot wait for the big screen version of my film 'BLUE' here it is:

https://vimeo.com/149845112

I would also like to Congratulate those who have done so well!

Bob
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Bob... I was absolutely convinced that the rustling in the twitching bag in the woods was a Diamond just waiting for a worthy home... :shock:

John
Bob Lorrimer

Post by Bob Lorrimer »

No John,

The twitching in the bag was just my usual rubbish!
ned c

Post by ned c »

https://vimeo.com/130106863

An example of a One Star film - I seem to be getting worse each year.

Ned C