BIAFF 2014

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Ken Wilson

Re: BIAFF 2014

Post by Ken Wilson »

I thought that I might be the first to post on here with some results, but I was beaten to it it seems.

We just made the one film in 2013, The Contract. It had (as always) had a huge amount of effort, time and care taken on it. I hoped for a 4 star for it, but our results during the past few years have always been disappointing, so my expectations were lowered. So when we did receive a 4 star for it plus a special sound award, I was very pleased with that. Comments were also very good and constructive, the only real criticism being tightening up some of the editing.

As it happens, since I sent the BIAFF version, I did edit again and removed 70 seconds from it for the Burnley festival. This year Burnley imposed a 15 minute maximum time limit for the first time, forcing me into removing a few frames at each cut and a line of dialogue in a couple of places, so I just got it to 15 minutes from the 16.10 BIAFF cut. Perhaps I should have done this before? The film was chosen as best film at Burnley, so that was great. So I am happy with 4 stars and no judge bashing this year. So a Saturday screening for us.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Well, my film got what I expected (4 stars, or as the assessment-writing judge commented '4+'), which makes me disappointed in myself in that I just can't seem to squeeze out that extra bit to get a 5 star. It isn't down to 'judging fatigue' (having also been a BIAFF judge this year, I know my effort was seen earlier on in the proceedings - from the assessing judges names and the judging schedule). So that's not the reason (as indeed it shouldn't be of course). No clues in the assessment either, but I do have an inking of an idea if I am honest. It's what I would have awarded my movie I think. Ah well. It has done well (Best Documentary Trophy) at a County festival, and it gets the applause OK at private screenings. Next is to see how it has done at the SERIAC festival.

We do like the accolades don't we! :lol:
fraught

Post by fraught »

I've just been told by my colleague that a film I Produced (SoulMatrix) has got a Diamond award, along with Best Comedy and Best Editing awards. So really chuffed about that! Not technically my film, so i don't count it in my mission to get a Diamond award... but i'm chuffed to bits that it's done so well as it certainly deserves it! :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Definitely! (watched it on Vimeo).

Very slickly made movie.

A couple of Hitchcock-type glimpses of you in there as well Geoff...
fraught

Post by fraught »

Ha ha! I do try to sneak into all my films these days. See if you can spot me in 'Karen's Room'!
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

With luck and a following wind ... we hope to have all the BIAFF results online tomorrow evening (18th March) so that you can see how you stand in comparison with other people and with films you may know.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Well, I opened my results envelope with bated breath today... my three films have each been awarded four stars. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed yet again not to have achieved five stars for at least one of them; the judges' comments are the best, the most positive, the most encouraging and the most constructive I've ever received. I really don't know what more I should be doing to achieve that extra star. On the plus side, one of my films, FACE/BOOK, will be shown on the Sunday, and I'm absolutely delighted about that. My other two films, CONCEPTION and I'LL SCREAM, will be shown on the Saturday. Ah well, there's always BIAFF 2015 to try again for the elusive 5 stars and the even more elusive Diamond Award...
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I can never understand people being surprised by the award that their film gets. I can honestly say that I have forecast with 100% accuracy the grades that I have been awarded for the last fifteen or so IAC Festivals, ranging from Four Stars to Diamond. This year, not so good, a Four but, fortunately no disappointment, as that was my forecast. It is of course only natural to rate one's own work highly but I do find that the judges of this Festival really do get it right. This is borne out clearly, in my opinion, when we get to see many of the films over the two days.
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

Perhaps I should say to Michael that to me it does depend on the type of films you make as to what rating you predict and what you actually get. You do work mostly in the documentary category Michael, though I know that you have worked on some fiction films too. You have your own style (as we and many other regulars do) and it is quite recognisable.

Ours are often quirky, with a regular theme of "All is not as it seems" whether thrillers or comedy and I include at least one if not two or three twists in the tale. It`s mostly my style of writing and looking for unexpected endings. Our comedies are also perhaps off the beaten track and may or may not work for the audience or one group of three judges, though all of this twisting and turning does itself become predictable after a while, so it gets harder to find the "surprise."

I know for a fact that some of the above has in the past cost me a star several times and at least on one occasion two stars. I like the audience to have to think a little bit but in doing so, I know I can over-complicate plots and at club visits when we give shows I then realise that not everyone "gets it" as I thought they would.

Your films are always of an extremely high standard Michael but are not over complicated. So that would allow for the final result being more predictable that the ones we do. I know it`s a risk how I do it, but that`s what I do and hence it is never predictable.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

For all the star ratings that we (I) crave for, in the final analysis I really prefer to get an audience's reaction to my movies. On that basis, my own film this year has so far made me feel I have made a Diamond - but the reality of it is, in a judging environment, 4* is OK. It is about Enid Blyton (before she was famous) - and the response from her daughter and grand-daughter and other family members who have seen it is probably the best accolade one could ask for.

We mustn't get too precious if our movies don't hit the high ratings - its how audiences enjoy them that really matters.

And Michael ... is it to be whiskeys at noon again? :roll:
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Mike Shaw wrote: I really prefer to get an audience's reaction to my movies. ...It is about Enid Blyton
And I'm sure you'll get a great reaction when yopu bring it to Staines on 25th April, Mike (if I've remembered the date correctly). Have just rediscovered the Famous Five through my 9 year old daughter, 'm particularly looking forward to it. Perhaps instead of tea/coffee we should serve lashings of ginger beer!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I feel very much the poor cousin here with just one 4* and two 3*s. Very happy with the four, which I suspect like my "Merry Xmas 2010" at Weymouth, has been chosen as a bit of light relief for the Sunday show.

I was disappointed, though not surprised, that one of the others was only a 3. It was my first attempt at serious drama and a massive learning curve. There was plenty of praise and encouragement for some of the production values but script and acting really have to be 100% throughout. In fact we edited out much more dialogue than we would have liked because it was not delivered convincingly enough and consequently some of the subtleties of the plot and much of the empathy for the protagonist were lost.
The other 3* was a typical club comedy with a single punchline with club members as actors. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was just thrown together, but it was made more as a obligation and a bit of fun than as a serious work of art.
3* is fair in both cases but there is a world of difference between the two.

So, no complaints from me and I'll hopefully see some of you at the Sunday show.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Congratulations to everyone on their successes so far :-)

My only offering this year 'Un pezzettino d'Italia' received a thoroughly fair 4-stars, the judges picking up on areas I knew were weak (but had already been improved for the BIAFF edit, although obviously not enough haha) but I have no complaints about the result for what is all said and done a 'holiday' film. Ooops, did I just swear? :lol:

Looking forward to meeting everyone at Bedford :D

John
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Mike was referring to my annual offer to forum posters. I'm quite prepared to fund drinks all round if we can find time to assemble at a convenient bar. I suggest Sunday pre lunch as that is the most likely day that we all should be there. We will also probably have to admit our esteemed 'Mediator', that's if he can drag himself away from all the foreign visitors he's generally responsible for. It will be nice to put a face to all the names, I know some but not all our readers.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Michael - I will do my best to be there ... other duties permitting. It will be nice if we can all meet up. This time I am not driving home so a whisky might go nicely, thanks.

As well as our usual guests from overseas there will be a lady from the Netherlands called Franka Stas who was a gym teacher but got better (!) and now runs an arts and media centre in a secondary school.

but the news you all wanted ...

THE BIAFF 2014 RESULTS ARE UP - click here:

http://www.theiac.org.uk/eventsnew/biaf ... wards.html