YOUR BIAFF 2013 RESULTS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Howard-Smith

Re: YOUR BIAFF 2013 RESULTS

Post by Howard-Smith »

Thanks Dave. Yes, I'll certainly be submitting my films to other competitions and festivals for a second, third etc. opinion, but I had always hoped to reach the heights at BIAFF. You mention the gap between 4 and 5 stars - I'd have been happy enough with 4 stars once again for either of my films - but only to get 3 stars for each gives the impression not only that I've made no progress with my film-making skill in the past 6 years, but that I've actually gone backwards (having had 4 stars for the past 4 years) which is somewhat disheartening. I'll be interested to gauge the audience response to DAWN at BIAFF.
Howard :shock:
Last edited by Howard-Smith on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Dave
You need to check the links, all those I looked at are 2012
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Sorry Col, you must have been unlucky in your choice. I have just been through them all and most are up to date. In some cases where a festival is at the end of the year, their websites do not yet show details.

Try again!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Howard, you are not alone. Fraught has mentioned his disappointment and another friend of mine submitted a film that he was hopeful of four or five stars came back with a two! (His other film, not as good in my opinion, received three) The judges comments did not appear to fit with the new "guidelines" for issuing 2 stars so he's understandably miffed.

As has been said many times before, we can judge technical merit fairly objectively, but an awful lot of what's left is really subjective and different panels will return different verdicts.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

I submitted two movies and have just had the results, the judges comments are a considerable improvement over what I received last time I submitted an entry so well done to all concerned.

Both movies got the same rating which was a bit of a surprise as one is much better than the other. It is also surprising that the movie I am not quite happy with is being shown at BIAFF on the Saturday.

Those attending will see Yorkshire Sculpture Park shown which was the first video I shot using the then new Panasonic 900, with the edit PC I just put the videos into some sort of order and added some music and that is how we normally watch the movie at home. It was just an exercise to see the quality of the recorded image and to make sure that I had not screwed up any settings in making some adjustments deep within the menu system

Specifically for BIAFF I wrote a script and made the version you will see. The judges got their comments exactly right in what needs to be done to improve the movie.

Comments on the other movie were valid yet contradictory in some areas but overall very fair.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I'm dismayed to read of the expressions of disappointment from some film makers on their results. Chaps, the judges are not Gods, they're film makers and viewers just like us and only express what they feel. For this reason I have previously floated the idea that BIAFF is regarded purely as a film festival with very little emphasis on competition. By all means have a panel selecting films for exhibition, exactly as happens with 90% of international festivals, but as for awarding 'stars' I've never favoured it.

One man's good film is another man's boredom. Mind you, I would urge fellow film makers never to judge their own productions. There is always a tendency to be too optimistic when sitting alone in an edit room. I wrote about this some months ago in the magazine. I always print various rough cuts of a film during post production and view them on a big screen in the company of one or two very critical people with knowledge of film. The feed back I get is invaluable and gives me a god idea of how good, or bad, a film is.

I like to think of myself as being objective in these matters and have never yet been unduly surprised at a grading, either of mine or others work. Keep expectations as low as you dare if you want to avoid disappointment and make sure others see the pice before you finalise it.
ned c

Post by ned c »

“I sat cringing before this Technicolor mess which displays no trace of imagination, good taste or ingenuity” The Wizard of Oz

“The photography was middling but nothing special, the whole thing a little dull with highbrow direction of the super clever sort that prevents you from seeing what is being directed” Citizen Kane

“Script by Graham Greene which yet again proves that he is an uncinematic snob” The Third Man

“Painful in three ways, an unfunny comedy, poor construction and embarrassing self revelation. A film so shapeless, sprawling and repetitious as to seem to beg for oblivion, which it achieves.” Annie Hall

I assume any comments of this order on a BIAFF entries report and the proverbial would hit the fan. Judges (critics making awards) are human and fallible where art is concerned. If you are a creative then read criticism; both good and bad with a sense of humor. Pick what is useful and ignore that which is not. Follow Michael’s advice; show the film to a reasonably friendly but not over supportive audience before the final cut. Watch with them; there is a strange effect when you sit with an audience and watch your own work; it somehow becomes very visible.

ned c
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Michael Slowe wrote:I'm dismayed to read of the expressions of disappointment from some film makers on their results.
Surely disappointment is a perfectly reasonable reaction if one's film does not do as well as one had hoped. I haven't read anything which is critical of the judges (with the one possible exception of my reporting of another whose judges comments seemed to contradict the award.)

It is inevitable that some will be pleased with their results and some will be disappointed.

Why shouldn't people be able to express their disappointment as others are welcome to express their delight?

This is not the same as suggesting people should be able to go out and out to criticise the judges.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Whilst, like Michael, I welcome a non-competitive festival - such as the wonderful Red Carpet Screenings in Basingstoke organised by Seb Hall twice a year ... part of the IAC Competition's purpose is educational. The star system and before it the "blue/bronze/gold seal" system are intended to give people a rough idea of how the standard of their work seems to an independent panel. Ideally you would progress up the grades over the years, with the inevitable ups and downs that accompany work in any art form.

If there were only the major awards - or if the only prize was being selected for screening - then all the other entrants would have no idea if they "just missed" or were "well below" the top standard.
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Ned, I love your quotes. Are they real?
Jill
ned c

Post by ned c »

http://flavorwire.com/272219/12-great-m ... dead-wrong

This is where I found the quotes; I must admit to some editorial work on those chosen but I have not altered the flavor.

ned c
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

In a nutshell, those quotes of Ned's were attributed to the following:
The Wizard of Oz: New Yorker
Citizen Kane: James Agate, Tatler
The Third Man: Manny Farber, Nation
Annie Hall: John Simon, National Review

Hitchcock's Psycho was rubbished by many critics on its first release:
"Alfred Hitchcock may try to frighten me to death... but I draw the line at being bored to death." (Alexander Walker Evening Standard)
"Wholly uninteresting." (Clancy Sigal, Time & Tide)
"One of the most vile and disgusting films ever made" (Rene MacColl, Daily Express)
"Sad to see a really big man make a fool of himself." (Sunday Express)
etc. etc.

Howard
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

To put into context my earlier comments about my disappointing results this year...
I've always wanted to have a film shown on Sunday at BIAFF so that everyone watches it, not just around 25% as on Saturday. I've never yet achieved this and hoped it would happen this year.

Prior to submitting it to BIAFF, I'd shown my film DAWN to someone who has been a judge and who knows the amateur film scene inside out. His opinion was that DAWN is better than some five-star films he's seen. Also, at my recent 'film premiere night' when I showed my two films to an audience of about 50, DAWN prompted the most positive comments I've ever received for any film I've ever made. Hence my disappointment at 3 stars.

Howard
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

I never ever make a movie specifically for a competition expecting it to do well, I make movie because I want too, in the form and content that I want, with any thoughts of it doing well at this or that screening totally secondary if they exist at all.

What really annoys me is receiving negative comments like, its not my kind of movie or I did not like it.....that does nobody any good. Constructive comments is the only acceptable form and with my two movies the judges got it correct in their method of advising of their reactions to my movies.
No hard feelings, no disappointment, no unfulfilled expectations. The opposite fact with one of my movies being shown all be it on Saturday, but hey it’s being shown. What more do I want, nothing but to improve in my creative skills, I'm not the most creative but consider myself a technician in the hardware and software areas so every constructive comment is welcome............but be warned a destructive comment and my hackles go up and you can expect to suffer the sound of my fury.

At my club we have recently watched a series of UNICA movies, to say we were uniformly depressed after watching them was an understatement, do not get me wrong they were not awful movies but the subject matter was dark and the movie makers drew you into the movie so that you became part of it, in other words a totally awesome collection.

By contrast if you are disappointed with your results take time to view some previous BIAFF movies and you will end up saying 3* what rubbish it should have won, yet for other 3*, oh my goodness that was dire. If they all were the same it would be pretty boring.

Talking of boring one of the worst movies I have seen is overly long, has very little content of note, its well framed and the sound is OK, but for me its just so boring and yet it is a 4* BIAFF movie on one of the compilations that are available, I just cannot connect with any of the movies that this individual has made but at least they are making movies and others do enjoy them so good luck to them with their next movie.

So if you put a movie into BIAFF please just be thankful that a group of people took time out to watch and comment on your movie, learn from their thoughts, then move on to your next project.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Willy

Post by Willy »

I understand your feelings, Howard-Smith. Some years ago I made the film "Guernsey, I Love You!" together with Peter Rouillard from Guernsey. Also his wife Mary helped me quite a lot. Thanks to them the actress was fantastic. We received three stars. I could not believe it. However, I still remember the fantastic time my wife and I had together with Mary and Peter. It's a pity that Guernsey is so far from us.

Me too, I prefer a non-competitive festival. For instance "Just for You" organised by SERIAC. That's a good example. It always takes place at the Tonbridge Oast Theatre. I hate the very competitive atmosphere in my own country and I hate rivalry. I would attend BIAFF also if it is a non-competitive festival. Anyway, BIAFF is always a feast.

Last year I heard from a friend after having seen Steven Spielberg's newest film: "This time I didn't enjoy it! He's made better ones"... Being a "regular" people start to compare your films. I understand. But yes, if you are competitive then you don't enter films for four or five years...

I hope that quite a lot of friends will see your film, Howard-Smith!
Willy Van der Linden