BIAFF IAC Professionalism?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
ned c

Re: BIAFF IAC Professionalism?

Post by ned c »

The word amateur defines a person not a thing; so an amateur film is one made by non-professionals; those not engaged in earning their living (or part of their living) from working in some aspect of movie making (film; tv). So I can understand the concern of hobbyists with limited means and no access to professionals. With this definition of amateur then wedding and other paid part time movie makers are professionals along with retired professionals. A festival/contest defines either the film or its makers; see my earlier post about the AMPS rules where the film is defined not its makers. The BIAFF by including the word amateur defines its makers; you can't have it both ways. In my view this underlines the need to get rid of the word "amateur" from non-commercial movie making. The professional film world uses the word amateur to describe poorly made stuff and amateurish is an insult. It's all very well being a proud amateur movie maker but to the world at large this prejudges your films as of poor quality. The current generation of young movie makers do not want to be classified as amateurs even though they are making films for fun and not for income.

The movie making world has moved on from the days when putting together an amateur film was a major effort; modern technology has pretty well leveled the playing field for all movie makers; it's about creativity now not overcoming the limits of inexpensive technology.

Where does this leave that traditional amateur hobbyist? Out in the cold I fear; 2 or 3 stars at BIAFF perhaps or raise the level of your game; actually the technology is relatively easy these days but apply creativity and enter a new and exciting world.

ned c
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I was going to take issue with you, Ned. Whilst accepting that the usage of words evolves over time I'd argue this doesn't mean that their original meaning becomes extinct. I fear, however, I must take the pragmatic approach and cease herewith to be an amateur for fear that the public will prejudge my films (even though that is their problem with the word, not mine).

I shall continue to have a gay relationship with my wife and enjoy the occasional faggot.

I shall also hope that any films I enter in next year's BIAFF are considered by the judges to be both sick and bad :lol:
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

It's a long time since I had faggot and peas; certainly not readily available here in the American West. The power of words is astonishing and I agree that some of the changes are not easy to assimilate. What will happen to "film" as the flexible stuff disappears from the scene? Next year Fuji will discontinue producing motion picture film and the parlous condition of Kodak suggests that they may soon follow. "Movie" seems very American except that for many years we had Movie Maker magazine in the UK. I detest the word "videographer", there is no such thing as a "semi-professional"; and if you can't clearly define "amateur", which the IAC cannot; then abandon it. But perhaps I am just being provocative. We are all film makers; or is it movie makers?

ned c
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

ned c wrote:perhaps I am just being provocative.
Likewise. Which I believe is all for the good. I'm certainly not advocating change for changes sake, but if we don't continually question our motives and explore new directions we are in danger of being left behind - not that there's anything wrong with that, so long as it's a conscious decision.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

Just as an aside.

When Amateur Photographer magazine run APOY, I believe the criterion for "amateur" status is not more than 10% of the person's earning should come from photography.

Something to consider?

But as for bringing in outsiders, my little short which will soon get its club premier has two actors (Amateur) from outside the club, and very glad I am that I could use them, they made all the diference. So would my film be considered an amateur film? I hope so.