DEADLINE FOR IAC WEBSITE COMPETITION and BIAFF 31 Jan

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
TimStannard

Re: DEADLINE FOR IAC WEBSITE COMPETITION and BIAFF 31 Jan

Post by TimStannard »

Mike Shaw wrote: I'm still waiting to get notification I've hit the 2-star level this year ... maybe they're working 'top down ... and my entry is worth only 1 star :(
I share the same fears here, Mike. One of ours has received his results (a three star and a four star), but nothing for me yet.

Or maybe he's working upwards. One can live in hope.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Well done, Willy ! I know you entered lots of films this year so you deserve a galaxy of stars.

It is good to hear that your friend was happy with his results. We sometimes act as if only four or five star awards mattered ... but the truth is that most people who have a movie camera would not earn a one-star rating for their holiday glimpses and drunken party antics.

Everyone should be proud of their results - whatever the star rating.

Dave

PS Overseas entrants are having results emailed to them, but those in the UK get them - and the relevant judges' comments - by post.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Oh! Mine came by today's post ... not a 2-star at all ... 4 stars. :)

Crikey!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

More hurrahs !
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Yes, they always work top down. I heard today, exactly what I expected (4), as I wrote earlier I don't think I've ever been wrong in my forecast. Willy's must have been good for 18!!
fraught

Post by fraught »

2 x 4 Stars.... rather happy with that. :-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I'd expect nothing less from any of you. Well done Willy, Mike, Michael and Fraught.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Since there were darned few 5-stars, you did well Fraught!

I can't wait to see the whole list!

Dave
fraught

Post by fraught »

Cheers Tim, Dave.

Looking forward to the event now. :-)
Willy

Post by Willy »

Michael Slowe wrote: Willy's must have been good for 18!!

Starry, starry night ....!
[b]********************
I got 2x 2 stars, 2x 3 stars and 2x 4 stars. I'm writing this message under a starry starry night just like the one painted by Vincent Van Gogh. I'm happy because the best films have received the best results and the worst films received 2 stars. With one film I even went for 1 star, but I got 2.

Do you remember the system with blue, bronze, silver, gold seal awards and international medallions? In the beginning I had my doubts, but now I realize that the star system is better. Gold, silver and bronze are good for the Olympics, so in the meaning of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

However, some years ago you could read in our local newspaper : "Willy won gold at BIAFF". The readers thought that I was the only "champion!"... The truth was different. There were more than 20 gold seal awards. But yes, "modesty is not the best policy". Dave has written in FVM.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

As I said in an earlier message there were VERY FEW 5-star awards this year. I have only seen a graph of results so far and it looks as if about 10 films got 5-star awards ... I can't wait to find out what they are.

Well done, Willy. Your support for BIAFF has always been extraordinary. Thanks to you and the work of Christiane Surdiacourt we get to see many great Belgian films each year. Christiane is not a film maker, but you are and you are always willing to help and encourage your rivals. (I think that may mean your Belgian citizenship will be revoked! 99% of the time Belgian film makers seem to be at each other's throats. - OK I am exaggerating.)

It is a pretty good set of results for someone who was giving up film making last year, has had a miserable year so far as health is concerned ... and whose 99th birthday is tomorrow! We love you, Willy. Keep making movies, keep being an Anglophile.

Dave
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Everyone seems so excited!

How did we do? Mine again this year Les *** trois etoiles. D'accord, I suppose, but feeling disappointed, my third attempt, I can't ascend to the next rung.

Comments by the judges were surprisingly upbeat and other than a few niggles they liked my filum.
fraught

Post by fraught »

Star awards aside, there are other awards for Best This and Best That.. are these announced on the Sunday or should the winners of these be told along with their Star award?
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

When I got the animation award, I do believe (from memory) I was told in advance a) that my film was being shown on the Sunday and b) I had won the Animation award. This time I've only been told my film is being shown on the Sunday, so - no cigars for me this year if my memory is anything to go by. Which, usually, it isn't...
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Mike's right as usual. Unless you have won the Daily Mail or the Best of British you should be told of your award and roughly when it might be shown.

FaceBook fans may already have found out:

Berry van der Vorst's film ‎Vincent got a Diamond Award, Best Photography and Rycote Award for Best Sound. That will surely be shown on Sunday 15th.

Fraught (aka Geoff Harmer) got 4-star for 8-Ball which will be shown on Saturday. I am guessing that Room 4 was also 4-stars but is not listed for showing. (A health warning would be required.)

Willy, do you know which of your films will be shown? Michael?

Dave the curious