DEADLINE FOR IAC WEBSITE COMPETITION and BIAFF 31 Jan

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Mike Shaw

Re: DEADLINE FOR IAC WEBSITE COMPETITION and BIAFF 31 Jan

Post by Mike Shaw »

That's an excellent idea Michael! Not the bit about you buying the drinks (though mine's a pint! :lol: ) - the bit about us all meeting up at some point! Always good to put faces to names.

I totally agree with you about Emily's achievement too - many struggle for years and are happy to achieve a 3 star (I know I am, although I do aim for higher of course), so to hit a four star rating first time out shows a lot of promise and a genuine flair for film-making: lucky is the club that Emily joins(if any)!. I shall make a point of putting 'The Raven' on my must-see' list when at Weymouth. I used to love reading Poe's stuff when young, so this will be a treat.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

A meeting would be good ... let's see what the BIAFF timetable looks like. Jan hopes to get that in the next day or so. Perhaps two gatherings would be needed if some contributors are only coming for one day.

We'll follow this up!
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

The XDL Films "boys", i.e. Pat Mahon, myself and Robert Letham are delighted that our latest film "Torment" has been awarded 4 stars at BIAFF, but the best bit is that it's going to be screened at the Festival which is brilliant considering the very high number of entries this year. Also we got great comments from the judges which were very constructive and helpful.
Brian Saberton
fraught

Post by fraught »

Seeing as Michael has agreed to buy the drinks... I'm in! I'll be coming down on the Saturday. :-)

One other question. After reading the crit for my films one question I feel still unanswered, what could I have done to make this film the next grade up? I'm chuffed to have received a 4 Star Award, but why wasn't it good enough for 5 Stars? This sort of info would help me improve I feel.
The reason I ask is that some people had pencilled in their own scores in advance, and felt they knew the outcome. Me... I honestly had 8 Ball pencilled in with a potential 5 Star, I'm not upset at all that it got a 4 Star mind, but I'd love to know what I could do to improve the film to a 5. :-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Emily

Post by Emily »

Well, what can I say....Thank you so much for support and comments, I am definitely looking forward to meeting you all at the festival and I'd be honored to see your movies :) I've sent an e-mail to David Martin concerning the tickets, still waiting for reply. If I organize everything the way I wish, I should be arriving at Weymouth on 12th, in the evening. It'll be my fist visit to this part of England and to be honest, I can't wait!
Berry

Post by Berry »

Dear IAC friends,

I'm absolutely delighted that my film Vincent was awarded an IAC Diamond and the awards for best Photography and Sound, I certainly didn't expect this! Vincent is a film that tends to polarize people quite a bit, so that makes this recognition all the more exciting!

After the 2009 BIAFF, there was some discussion about my film Rex and me selling it on DVD to recoup production costs. I think this was a very valuable discussion and apparently - perhaps indirectly - contributed to the IAC adjusting the competition rules. I do feel that all filmmakers at BIAFF, or at any other non-commercial/amateur film festival, should make films solely for passion and pleasure and never with a commercial motive in mind. That is certainly how I made Vincent. And no, it is not for sale, nor will it ever be. :)

Hopefully I will be able to see you all in Weymouth this April, but as I'm becoming a first time dad in early May, I have yet to decide what the wisest choice would be. :)

Warm greetings,

Berry
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

It sounds like the Weymouth weekend will be another very interesting and busy movie festival. Unfortunately, for the first time since joining the IAC in 1994 we will not be able to attend. We have a wedding to shoot on the Saturday and so that means we cannot go. It`s sad as we have maintained an unbroken record up to now.
We first went to "Movie `95" at the Palace Hotel in Buxton and had a Silver Seal film in one of the shows. Since then we have always entered at least one film (sometimes up to 3) and have always had at least one in the programmes.
It`s a great event and a chance to get inspired and see lots of different styles of films, some we like and others we might not, but always with interest and usually promoting discussions.
A chance to talk film, meet our regular movie-making friends and catch up on news. But 2011 is the first year since 1985 that we have no new Phase 4 films, so all kinds of records have been spoiled.
However, in a way we have some kind of link as Willy`s film "Say Wensleydale Cheese" features my wife Carol`s voice on the commentary, so we do maintain some kind of presence although not in person.
Hope you all have a great time. Where is it next year?

Ken
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

We will miss you both ... but in today's financial climate you must take work where and when you can get it.

Next year will be in Chesterfield rather nearer to you.

Cheers
Dave