Lone worker v Group productions

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
ned c

Lone worker v Group productions

Post by ned c »

There was a short article in the October issue of F&M by Jim Closs, where, the opening section addressed the comparison between the lone worker and the group production; suggesting that the advantages are with the big battalions. Having won a Silver Award for a lone production, an achievement by anyone’s standards he wonders if the judges take into account the resources available to the film makers and the limitations faced by the lone worker. I sincerely hope not!

What matters is what is on the screen not how it got there. We all work within limitations and for some types of films the lone worker has an advantage; the intimate or personal documentary, animation, mood pieces. For narrative films it is very difficult for a lone worker and for a club or group production everyone expects and deserves a credit.

The problem in competitions is comparing all genre in the search for a winner; just how does a judge compare a documentary with a narrative film with a nature film with a music piece?

ned c
Michael Slowe

Re: Lone worker v Group productions

Post by Michael Slowe »

The vast majority of my films have been the result of working completely alone and I've never felt at a disadvantage. Quite the contrary actually, when working with others I have felt inhibited and less confident in what I'm doing. Alone I can concentrate more effectively, can feel more creative and can work faster without having to discuss anything. It's true that there are times when assistance would have been helpful because handling the camera, tripod, microphones and, occasionally, lighting, is often extremely difficult. When my latest film was recently broadcast I was asked how many were in my crew and my answer of one was received with incredulity!

So I agree with Ned, lone workers are not necessarily at a disadvantage and certainly judges of films should never take into consideration how the images got on to the screen. Any film, no matter the genre, should be judged by the effect it has on the viewer and whether it succeeded in it's aim, to inform, entertain and delight. We all strive to succeed in doing that.
Willy

Re: Lone worker v Group productions

Post by Willy »

[quote="Michael Slowe"]

I agree with Ned and Michael. Sometimes I make films as a lone worker. Sometimes I work with a film crew. I have good memories of working together with Mary and Peter Rouillard from Guernsey.They were fantastic co-producers. I would not have been able to make that film on my own. I also took the advantage of knowing Geoff Harrison, the Preston Movie Makers and other British friends, to make my documentary about the Yorkshire Dales. I am very grateful to them.

My wife Vera
Ten years ago the only member of my film crew was my wife Vera. She carried the camera. I carried the heavy tripod. I made films about Brittanny, Scotland, Ireland. Last summer I attended the Open Air Concert at Leeds Castle. I rushed from one spot to the other in order to do camera work from different angles. At midnight I was exhausted. Also because I didn't feel well. Health is the most important thing in life.

Brian was not Brian anymore
An other experience : 6-7years ago I made a film about my English friend Brian. He is a folksinger and artist. I asked a friend, who had been very successful at international festivals, to accompany me. I asked him to help me with the sound. He had to carry to boom and micorphone and to use my headphones. Unfortunately after a short time he wanted to direct my friend Brian.

Each time when I meet Brian we tell jokes. He is always very cheerful. However, when my Belgian friend began to shout "One, two, three, action ...!" Brian as not Brian anymore. The following year I went back to him together with a clubmate. Young David could also play the guitar very well. Brian and Davy played some music together. They felt very relaxed. After every 10 or 15 minutes I asked Brian to act for my film. Then he felt at ease and I was happy with the result.

They all wanted to be the director.
Last year I made the fiction film "Bakri". Five members of my second club wanted to help me. I appreciated their willingness very much. However, one moment they all wanted to direct my actors who got very nervous. So did I. I asked them in a friendly way to do their job and not to direct the actors. Luckily they understood. They had been too enthusiastic. Each member of a film crew must have a specific job.

Working together
One more thing. Once I made a film together with a famous Belgian filmmaker with an artistic look. A British film. Afterwards most people thought that I was only the assistent. That was very fustrating. I remember one man saying to my co-producer : "You have a very good assistent!". Now I have a clubmate who once won a bronze medal at Unica. He made the film together with a very good filmmaker. However, each time he must tell other friends that he has written the scenario and that he has directed the actors. More and more people understand that he is not only an underdog and that both filmmakers can work together in a fantastic way.

Bob Lorrimor
Conclusion : making a film as a lone worker is not wrong. I always admire Bob Lorrimor's films : he is the cameraman, the editor, the script writer, the sound master and ... the actor in his funny movies. Each time when I meet him I can see he is very proud. Each time he has a reason to be proud.
Willy Van der Linden