Which films just missed BIAFF?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

Which films just missed BIAFF?

Post by Dave Watterson »

With the BIAFF closing date passed, who had a film they could not quite bring to completion in time?

Is one of the reasons competitions are so popular in our hobby that they offer deadlines, which encourage us to get movies made?

- Dave
ned c

Re: Which films just missed BIAFF?

Post by ned c »

Ours just about squeezed in but we did not have time to mix and eq the sound track properly and the ending is subject to ongoing "discussion", but we made it!! The Space Between

ned c
fraught

Post by fraught »

Got all mine in. No rush this year! Although next year might see a rush!!
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

:(

I didn't even make a film during the last year.

I'm hoping I shall have time to correct that situation this year ... with ideas buzzing around like hornets.
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Mine did not make being a contender in October! Loads and loads of filming carried out, but I thought it just lacked an essential ingredient and I would have finished it, being totally dissatisfied. It was not what I intended, so I ducked out then. Then at the end of the year other big project came into view...PW.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Yup...missed my deadline again with a film I have tried out in various competitions but need to give it that final polish for BIAFF....unfortunately that final polish cost me the entry.

I feel the standard of BIAFF entries is top class and want to be amongst them one day....
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Another little issue which hampered me getting my film off the starting blocks was wee problem with my computers graphics card. Now resolved, but a little too late.
Willy

Post by Willy »

I missed one film for BIAFF 2011, but I still have two entries : one about an African asylum seeker who breaks into a house because he is starving (12min30sec). The other one is about my clubmate's wife who is an artist (14min30sec). I have already talked about these films on this forum. I only missed the film about Wensleydale, but I think it was a good decision not to hurry. Now I have all the time of the world to finish this epic story (26min30 sec) about one of the most dramatic scenery in the British Isles. I have written the commentary and Good Old Dave has been so kind again to correct my mistakes. Also thanks to him BIAFF is still international.

Deadline
To be honest ... I was a bit surprised that the deadline for BIAFF was earlier than last year : 10th January instead of 31st January. But I understand why this decision has been taken. Imagine that you must organize such a prestigious international festival! Nerve-racking ! The more time you have the better. I think it was also good to have a first deadline : 20th December 2010. Now I could spend my Christmas holidays at the Belgian seaside without editing films. My wife and I had more time to be together with friends and to visit Bruges in jingle bells atmosphere.

Wensleydale in 2012
In the evening I only started to write the English text for my film "Say Wensleydale Cheese!" on my laptop. I used some holiday guides "The Dales of Yorkshire - A Portrait" and the Ordnance Survey Leisure Guide", a book that I could find back in my cellar. After each chapter I stopped for some time and I gazed at ther dark horizon. From our holiday flat with seaview. In the far distance (probably near the White Cliffs of Dover) there were only the lights of cargo-ferries.

Harrogate in the North. Weymouth in the South.
Now I am sure that I already have an entry for BIAFF 2012 in Weymouth. I will attend BIAFF in Harrogate, but I am also looking forward to Weymouth because it is easier for us, who live on the Continent, to get there and it's also on my way to my best British friend. We've already known each other for about thirty years. Brian lives in Okehampton in Devon.

When I am in Harrogate I would like to spend some time in Malham again and show Gordale Scar to one of my friends who has decided to accompany me and my wife. What a fantastic place it is ! I think it will be my third BIAFF at Harrogate. I remember that last time it was once chosen as the most flowery town in Britain. I can already see the gardens with daffodils in my imagination. For our friend Pqtrick a reason to move from Villeneuve (France) to good old England.

Time to have lunch now. My wife Vera has called me!
Willy Van der Linden
Arthur Bates

Post by Arthur Bates »

I just finished my film in time but with the postal problems due to the proximity of Christmas and the the New Year and the snow I was doubtful if it would make it but it did. That little message from the organisers to confirm safe arrival is greatly appreciated. Have you noticed that when you start a film, the closing date is months away a moment later its weeks away and before you know it you are working around the clock to get the darn thing finished. There is always that shot you don't quite like or the music that does not seem as inobtrusive as it should be but there is never time to change it? Arthur B
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

I am please to see that I have 'been mentioned in despatches' by Willy. A little correction, we currently live in Villeurbanne. We are looking forward to moving back 'home'. According to Wiki there are dozens of Villeneuve's in France! Only one Villeurbanne Ville-urbana from Roman times and they still fiercly fight to keep their independance from their big neighbour Lyon.

I was a little amused by his comment, that he was gently told by Vera that his lunch was ready! I usually get asked 'Do you want to eat or not?' That, I suppose that is the French temperment!

Hope to be at BIAFF? Unless, I am lost in a carton box somewhere - Pqtrick