IAC International Competition - enter online

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

IAC International Competition - enter online

Post by Dave Watterson »

In the last hours of November 2009 an online entry form for IAC International Amateur Film & Video Competition went live.

Fill the form in and it will calculate the fee to pay (always a fiddly thing to work out), give you a unique entry number for the film and pass all the details to the Competition Manager without him having to type in information from paper forms. You can also go straight on to pay your entry fee through PayPal or major credit card saving the hassle of writing a cheque. For our overseas entrants this also means they can pay without facing huge bank transfer fees.

Of course you still have to post the tape or disc itself !

This first online form only allows single entries, so if you plan multiple entries wait a few days and we hope the next version will be ready. The versions in French, German and Dutch will follow soon.

Let us know what you think of the system ... and send in your entries early. Let's make this the biggest and BIAFF yet!
- Dave

P.S. You can still enter using the paper forms ... but we would much rather you did not!
Dave Watterson

Re: IAC International Competition - enter online

Post by Dave Watterson »

Michael Slowe wins first past-the-post on the e-entry form. Thanks, Michael, now don't forget to post the film to the Competition Manager. Technically we might be able to accept films themselves over the web ... but the file sizes and upload times would be horrendous. So for now it is the paperwork and payment which can be simplified and speeded up.

I had a PM asking why we specially want people to use this system.

One reason is that it does make things easier for entrants, especially sorting out how much to pay - whether or not you choose to pay online.

The other is that all the information from forms has to be entered on a spread sheet which becomes the Competition Manager's bible and is used to generate play lists for judging and for the festival shows, results lists, contact details for writing to entrants, orders for engraving and printing of awards and so on. Until now that info has all had to be typed in from the paper forms ... and some of you have even worse handwriting than I do !!! That takes an age especially for someone who is not a trained typist. The electronic forms avoid all that and update the spreadsheet semi-automatically. Thus any mistakes in how your name appears on an award are down to you!

Multi-entry forms are being prepared but you would not believe what has to go on behind the scenes to get them working. Versions in Dutch, French, German will also follow.

Join the e-IAC !

Dave
Willy

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:Michael Slowe wins first past-the-post on the e-entry form. Thanks, Michael, now don't forget to post the film to the Competition Manager.
Dave

Oh, what have you done, Michael ! The Bible says (Matthew 20:6) : "So the last will be first, and the first will be last in the competition." The New American Bible says : "So the last shall be first, and the first last." Therefore I'm waiting until the very last day or 31st January 2010.

Of course, I am joking now and I know, Dave, that the festival secretary hopes to receive all the films by the end of the year. I am just waiting for the Dutch entry form on the web and my envelopes are ready (but not all my films= 3 !). I have also heard that the British and Belgian postmen have the intention to go on strike in January. Imagine !

Entry form on the web ! A fabulous innovation which will hopefully result in an invasion of entries.

I know that Michael always has fabulous films. I am looking forward to watching his newest one.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

the festival secretary hopes to receive all the films by the end of the year.
British and Belgian postmen have the intention to go on strike in January.

You are right, Willy. The sooner people send their entries the better!

I know that Michael always has fabulous films. I am looking forward to watching his newest one.

Right again! I am very envious of Harrow Cine & Video Society who got a look at it last month in a Michael Slowe evening!
-Dave
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Multiple entries can now be accepted - with forms in English, French, German and Dutch - which calculate the correct entry fee, including the discount for multiple entries.

Generally they seem to be working well ... Let us know how you get on.

- Dave
Willy

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:Multiple entries can now be accepted - with forms in English, French, German and Dutch - which calculate the correct entry fee, including the discount for multiple entries.

Generally they seem to be working well ... Let us know how you get on.

- Dave
Wow, it works ! I can tell my Belgian friends and in particular my clubmates. I only forgot to change Britain into Belgium at the payment stage in order to pay. Stupid of me. Forgive me ! But all is well that ends well.
Willy Van der Linden