Vintage Music Library Catalogues Wanted

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Sermi

Vintage Music Library Catalogues Wanted

Post by Sermi »

I am a relatively new to the IAC but the members I have had the opportunity to meet have all had a contagious passion for film & video and have been very generous with their knowledge. My background is in the visual arts/music - I am looking forward to contributing to the community in the future.

My main focus of interest at the moment is the use of sound and music in film- in particular Music Library during a specific period. I wondered if anyone had any old catalogues or literature ( 1960's -1970's) of any of the labels in business around then - big or small - UK or European.

I am based in the SOCO region - Reading.

Many thanks

Sermi
Dave Watterson

Re: Vintage Music Library Catalogues Wanted

Post by Dave Watterson »

A belated welcome to the forum, Sermi.

I will ask Gerald Mee on your behalf. He looked after IAC's connections with the music business for many years. I do not know whether he kept all the old catalogues or not.

I cannot help being curious about the research ... what are you hoping to establish?

Anyway it is a joy to have someone keen on music on these pages. The use of music in n-c films is often dreadful. We still come upon "wallpaper" music - often the kind generated by synthesizers - running throughout a travel or documentary short at a constant volume. Of course many of our best film makers are much subtler in their use of music and several spends days listening to samples before selecting what they want for their movie.

Dave
Sermi

Post by Sermi »

Dave

Thanks for the welcome.

Richard C and Gerald are individuals I have been in contact with, both have been stars.

Library music companies flourished during the period I am interested in, many small independent labels sprang up all around Europe to fulfill demand. There remains an element of mystery and little information to many of these firms - the catalogues do give some context to the recordings.

Regards

Sermi
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

How are your languages, Sermi?

The main website has links at http://www.theiac.org.uk/links_ww.html to organisations which are the equivalent of IAC in their countries. A few emails to them might elicit information. For example, surely not all German n-c film makers use Highland for their soundtracks!

While members of most European federations who are under 40 often have good English, the older people you might want to contact may or may not.

- Dave