Should we circulate judges' comments?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

Should we circulate judges' comments?

Post by Dave Watterson »

In another thread, Peter Copestake picked up on an idea of Ned Cordery's which I think deserves its own thread...

Ned says:-
In my opinion the value of the judge’s comments is tremendous and well worth continuing, time consuming, demanding but so valuable. One of the problems many of us face is knowing just what people are making now and what is winning; we can’t continue to attend Festivals as the costs soar for both the organizers and the attendees. Circulating DVDs of the winning entries would be a great extra as part of the benefits of membership.

I agree; what about circulating the judges comments? Perhaps we could then see what they do and understand their awards.
Peter C.

As a judge I don't mind my words being made public, but would they mean anything to someone who has not seen the movie in question? Or is the notion that the comments should circulate with DVDs of the winners? Of course not all judges might feel that way and as technically the crits are the copyright of their authors we would have to obtain their permissions.

How would a film maker feel about such comments being public?

At present I can regard crits as a private word from me to the film maker. Occasionally I say things privately that I would not say publicly for fear of embarrassing them. (Think of the differences between whispering or shouting across a room: "Your flies are open!")

- Dave
Stephen

Re: Should we circulate judges' comments?

Post by Stephen »

Think this a great idea!

Having done a spell of judging in the past, and as you say Dave I may make comments to a film maker that I would not want in the public domain would need some thought before publication.

It would be great to see a selection of BIAFF films on this website with the judges comments alongside. I have found that judges comments can help the film maker a great deal. Yes there are judges that don't foster the idea that the film being commented on is someones 'baby' and should be handled in the same manner!!!

thankfully they are now becoming rare... :D

definately got my vote to publish comments!
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Here's my hope for the future. The winning entries in BIAFF are loaded on a DVD(s) with a precis of the judge's comments and sent out to the membership. We don't need every detail of the comments, an overview will give us a sense of how the judges see the film. In addition to the winners a small selection of non-winners with comments would also be helpful.

OK, a lot of work to create the DVD master with movies and text but once done easily duplicated and easy to distribute. At some time in the near future it will all go on the Internet but we still want to see the "big picture" so at present DVD is the route.

Here at AMPS we are not holding a Festival this year, the first time for many years. Why? Cost, both to the organization and the members. In the past we have held the Fest in California and members have come from the East Coast and Canada but in this economy this is no longer possible.

So, the need for an alternative method of viewing the results is essential. We are making the usual compilations for members and suggesting that they use them as a basis for a local, one day Festival. Invite all interested parties it could deliver a positive response and attrract newbies.

ned c
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

Or is the notion that the comments should circulate with DVDs of the winners?

YES.

Peter C
Willy

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:In another thread, Peter Copestake picked up on an idea of Ned Cordery's which I think deserves its own thread...

Ned says:-
Circulating DVDs of the winning entries would be a great extra as part of the benefits of membership.

I agree; what about circulating the judges comments? Perhaps we could then see what they do and understand their awards.
Peter C.

Of course not all judges might feel that way and as technically the crits are the copyright of their authors we would have to obtain their permissions.

How would a film maker feel about such comments being public?
"[/i])

- Dave
Think twice before writing something
I would not mind at all. People may know what I think about the films that I have seen. It makes me think twice before writing something. It is always possibible that I am a bit impulsive one moment. That's human. Therefore I admit it also may be a bit risky to make the written comments public.

What happens at UNICA ?
But what happens at UNICA ? The judges tell you in public what they think about the films. That's very courageous. In one of our regions the critiques are read on the stage at the proclamation ceremony. But the general the tone is very positive. The audience at the festival are happy and so are the filmmakers.

British critiques are best
In general I admire the judges' comments. They are always very positive. Especially the British ones. Mine are very long. That's my nature. My messages are always epics. And so are my films. I have already told you many times : Goethe wrote : "In der Beschränkung Zeigt sich der Meister". In Guernsey 2009 practically all judges were "Meister". I was not. Though, I use the Dutch style of writing critiques. There are different chapters in my comments : theme, storyboard, commentary, soundtrack, acting, emotion, .... As English is not my mother tongue it is also important that the filmmaker knows that his film was clear enough to my foreign ear and eye. We also have a different culture. For instance films made in Eastern Europe have a different atmosphere.

Controversial films in Guernsey
In Guernsey there were films that were controversial in the eyes and ears of the audience. In Belgium and certainly in Holland these films would not be controversial at all. Mary Rouillard sent me a newspaper article. I read that one of the VIPS found some films a bit daring.

Do not attack historical facts that are right
However I sometimes tear my hair when reading something. In particular when an historical fact in a documentary is criticised. History is one of my hobbyhorses. That's one of my favourite topics. I enjoy research. Sometimes it takes more than a year before making a film... and then you must read some nonsense in the critiques.

AMPS-DVD's excellent
Circulating judges'comments without the permission of the judge and without the DVD's is not good I think. I appreciate the initiative of AMPS. I have already received loads of DVD.'s, also compilation DVD's. In Belgium they also do, but you must be a good friend of ... to have your film added to the compilation DVD. Anyway, I already enjoyed the AMPS-DVD's very much and so did my clubmates. Excellent for interesting clubnights. Together with the judges' comments would even be more interesting, but then only with the permission of the filmmakers and judges.
Willy Van der Linden
bjohnson

Post by bjohnson »

At Cheadle Hulme last Saturday we were told how good the judges comments were and that some were several pages long but of course we don't get to hear or read those comments which would have been really valuable to us having just seen the films. Maybe they could be put on this website?
Bill Johnson
Warrington
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Jan and I would be happy to put crits up online ... but we would want both the writer of each crit and the film maker concerned to agree first ... which is a lot of admin work.

Has anyone any practical ideas to make it easier?

Of course some film makers post the judges' comments on their websites and blogs anyway ...

Dave
fraught

Post by fraught »

I think Judges comments should be circulated. Infact, on my website (www.fraught.net) i have already started adding judges comments to the pages relating to my various films. Still got a long way to go, but some are there. :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

Dave says:-
Jan and I would be happy to put crits up online ... but we would want both the writer of each crit and the film maker concerned to agree first ... which is a lot of admin work.

This could be part of the conditions of entry, perhaps.

Peter C
Peter Copestake
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

If it could all be arranged ... WHICH film crits should be shown on the website?

BIAFF gets hundreds of entries. Very few people will know most of the films. Those that get IAC Diamond Awards and 5-Star Awards may be more widely known.

What about 4-star and below?

Or do we take the other tack and say we might use the crits for those films which can be viewed on the website in "Bijou BIAFF" [http://www.theiac.org.uk/central/biaff2 ... biaff.html] where anyone can see them?

Dave
Willy

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:
Or do we take the other tack and say we might use the crits for those films which can be viewed on the website in "Bijou BIAFF" [http://www.theiac.org.uk/central/biaff2 ... biaff.html] where anyone can see them?

Dave
I don't know it all ! And you ?
I was a final judge in Guernsey. I don't mind if my crits would ever be viewed on the website, but of course only if the filmmakers themselves would agree with it. As an introduction we could always add the following sentence : Nobody may think he/she knows it all. Nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. Critics don't have a monopy. Filmschool students don't have a monopoly. The best (non-) professional filmmakers don't have a monopoly. Filmmaking is not like exact sciences. It is - or should be - a medium of art. It is something very personal and very subjective. Once a filmschoolstudent said to me with determination that a shot must have a length of minimum 3 seconds. I thought : what a ridiculous thing has he has told us now ! I didn't reply as I was astonished. Imagine he would write this in his report.

Wrong criticism
At an international festival a judge thought that I had used shots from TV in my film, though I had not used any image from TV. With a camera in my hands I have guts. I'm not afraid of heights. I'm not afraid of VIPS etc... Maybe I can travel around the world by airplane, but only while "hiding" behind my camera. Normally I already get a heart attack when seeing an airplane in the air. I only feel comfortable behind my camcorder.

Mixed feelings
So I had mixed feelings when reading this criticism. I was proud and disappointed at the same time. Imagine that such criticism appears on a website. Then I must have the opportunity to reply with determination. Luckily I won that festival. I received a letter from the festival officer. He agreed with my reply. He wrote a very kind letter. He accepted it. Now I am proud and I am not disappointed anymore.
Willy Van der Linden